Forums Latest Members

New Member, New watch, first Omega and a dial question

1. mbalce Mar 27, 2020

Hi All,

First off, want to introduce myself as this is my first post on this Forum. Been into watches pretty much my whole life which is currently comprised of 59 turns around the sun so far. Have a decent, if somewhat humble collection of mostly dress watches, which being in sales all my life has kind of been my genre of choice. I live in Orange County CA and so have pretty much been on C19 lockdown for over a week now.

I got my first "nice watch" almost 20 years ago which is a Rolex 1985 Two Tone DateJust. Since then I have added 2 more, a 1979 YG DayDate on a Presidential band, as well as a birth year Oyster Perpetual ref 1024. My beater is a Citizen EcoDrive field watch and I also have my dad's old daily wearer which is a tuning fork Bulova Accutron Doctors model that seems to run fine on modern batteries so I keep it in the rotation as well.

Being in lock down - I have way too much time on my hands and yesterday ended up perusing the about to end auctions on Ebay to see if there was anything interesting. Found a 1950 Omega Model 6264 with a 283 Caliber with a solid gold 14k 35mm case on an aftermarket leather band/buckle. The dial was obviously re-done, and in not the greatest look/style in my opinion. Haven't seen the watch in person yet so not sure if I will find it acceptable and wear it awhile as is, or if it will be offensive enough to create a new project right away. Made the decision if I could get it under $500, being a solid gold case, I should be in right enough that if I have to sort it out I should still be in ok, for what should be a $1k+ watch if it had the correct style dial and hands.

Of course found this forum after I bought the watch or I would have posted the link in the appropriate thread to try to get feedback before buying!

So my question at this point is, how interchangeable are the dials on these? Don't have the watch yet so can't measure the existing dial. Most dials I see online list the Caliber they came off of, or have the movement included. Anyone able to help me out on which caliber dials would be compatible? .

Here is the pic from the auction. When I get the watch I can shoot better pics as well. The seller describes the dial as Silvered. Probably should have a waffle dial if I am not mistaken.

Thanks!

Mark

Omega2624.jpg