New Member introduction

My name is Joe and I just joined today, as I have renewed interest in my old Omega watch. I was given a Seamaster as a young boy, that was already pretty beat up from Dad.

I did take it to a local jeweler back in the 70's to send it out for a cleaning, and I remember buying a new crystal and new watch band for it.

I proceeded to ruin the back by attempting to open the back with needle nose pliers!- I was young and dumb.

I will try and post some pics. Serial number is 17726003, movement is a 562, model is 14701 3 SC. Best I can tell it is from 1959.

I was wondering if anyone can tell what the original strap looked like. I am thinking of going to a leather strap. The metal bracelet is missing one of the filler pieces that rest near the face, and the other one I have is pretty dented up.

I would like to do a new crystal, and get her back in shape.

Thanks for any advice
Joe

Welcome Joe
Thanks for sharing your family watch. And also for your initial research and observations.
First, clearer closeup photos would be helpful if you can.
You have a nice Seamaster 14701 from 1959-1960, exact date cannot be known without Extract of Archives which is currently unavailable from Omega. Everything looks correct and probably original, can’t be sure about crown which was often replaced routinely at service, and no big deal.
The case shows some wear on lugs but seems to still have original edges so not bad.
Does watch run? I would have a service with independent watchmaker with Omega parts account (if you share your location members can recommend one in your area). I would resist polishing the case as this lowers the vintage appeal and value.
Regarding strap this would look good on dark brown or black leather there are many options for straps, don’t bother with Omega their straps are way overpriced. You can find a nice date appropriate original Omega gold plated buckle- see the thread on buckles above. Most on eBay are AM fakes so study the thread first and ask here before buying.
And lastly on your gold plated bracelet, there should be numbers on inside of clasp open it up and post good photos of numbers. Also on inside of the endlink on the little flange there will be a number identifying the endlink so post photo of that too. Vintage endlinks can be difficult to find but not impossible, and often Omega still makes endlinks to fit vintage bracelets. I attach photo of your watch reference in a nice brown strap ( my preference w gold)
hope this helps to get you started and welcome to OF!
IMG_8572.jpeg

Welcome Joe
Thanks for sharing your family watch. And also for your initial research and observations.
First, clearer closeup photos would be helpful if you can.
You have a nice Seamaster 14701 from 1959-1960, exact date cannot be known without Extract of Archives which is currently unavailable from Omega. Everything looks correct and probably original, can’t be sure about crown which was often replaced routinely at service, and no big deal.
The case shows some wear on lugs but seems to still have original edges so not bad.
Does watch run? I would have a service with independent watchmaker with Omega parts account (if you share your location members can recommend one in your area). I would resist polishing the case as this lowers the vintage appeal and value.
Regarding strap this would look good on dark brown or black leather there are many options for straps, don’t bother with Omega their straps are way overpriced. You can find a nice date appropriate original Omega gold plated buckle- see the thread on buckles above. Most on eBay are AM fakes so study the thread first and ask here before buying.
And lastly on your gold plated bracelet, there should be numbers on inside of clasp open it up and post good photos of numbers. Also on inside of the endlink on the little flange there will be a number identifying the endlink so post photo of that too. Vintage endlinks can be difficult to find but not impossible, and often Omega still makes endlinks to fit vintage bracelets. I attach photo of your watch reference in a nice brown strap ( my preference w gold)
hope this helps to get you started and welcome to OF!
IMG_8572.jpeg

Thank you for the thoughtful reply! The picture is great, love it with a band like that. Could you point me in a direction to purchase similar? Yes, I saw the Omega bands, and agree, they are pricey. Watch runs great- no issues, seems to keep good time.

I live in Westchester County in New York.

The band is stamped "No. 12" and it seems to have a date code of 1-74 (which would more or less accurate). The end cap is stamped "48" if that is any indication.

Thanks, Joe

Straps: lots of other suggestions on the thread but here’s a start:

watchstrapheaven. On IG. Jan from Slovakia nice straps some ready to go also custom. Very nice.

torrestraps. On IG, his catalog on WhatsApp. Beautiful custom straps about 70-90 Euro but worth it.

Watch Gecko- lots online to browse.

Hirsch- nice traditional options

Rios - I think German. Lots of fans on OF

CNS straps - cheap but ok. But for this I would favor one of above

set up a saved EB search w notifications for Omega endlink 48 see what comes up. I think your bracelet is 1175

Like 1
IMG_5166.jpeg IMG_5168.jpeg IMG_5183.jpegMy favorite for gold, chocolate pigskin from Torre good vintage look with Omega vintage buckle.