New Arrival: Black "Half Waffle" Arrowhead 50s Seamaster

It really irks me that the term "waffle dial" is being used for watches with this finish, and being used incorrectly.
::censored::

A dial as beautiful as this deserves the correct appellation, i.e.: "Clous De Paris", which is the term you use in sophisticated "watch nerd" company. Much more elegant than "waffle" don't you think?

If, on the other hand, you're down at the pub and your mate comments on your stunning dial, it's acceptable to reply "Yeah, nice isn't it, it's called hobnail".

AFAIK "Clous De Paris" is the French term for what we call a hobnail dial, not a waffle.

https://www.watch-wiki.net/doku.php?id=clous_de_paris

I was just going to reply the same - I tend to say "honeycomb", which does at least sound a bit better than "waffle", but somehow for those partially structured examples I've only ever read "partial waffle" or "half waffle". Anyway, I'm all open for more eloquent suggestions, especially as a non-native speaker of English, but I've always connected "Cloud De Paris" to a different structure, too.

I was just going to reply the same - I tend to say "honeycomb", which does at least sound a bit better than "waffle", but somehow for those partially structured examples I've only ever read "partial waffle" or "half waffle". Anyway, I'm all open for more eloquent suggestions, especially as a non-native speaker of English, but I've always connected "Cloud De Paris" to a different structure, too.
Here in the U.S., we call it a “gimme dat dial.” :)

Wow, beautiful watch! Every time you post a watch I start saving pictures. Some of you guys really know how to find them.

Congrats, the style of the alpha hands is quite unusual too, at least to me

I was lucky to have received this -- though the condition it arrived .... not so much. Here's my own shot as it got to me. (clout chasing I know, but I think the whole situation should have me somewhere at the top of the dibs list! lol)

PXL_20230414_161857187.jpg PXL_20230414_161912876.jpg
PXL_20230414_161922392.jpg
PXL_20230414_162220034.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

So beautiful. Congrats Matt.
All the beauties of vintage watches in one dial.

I was lucky to have received this -- though the condition it arrived .... not so much. Here's my own shot as it got to me. (clout chasing I know, but I think the whole situation should have me somewhere at the top of the dibs list! lol)

PXL_20230414_161857187.jpg PXL_20230414_161912876.jpg
PXL_20230414_161922392.jpg
PXL_20230414_162220034.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
Wow, incredibly careless packaging. And Matt, you had this watch sent for collection to a guy in New Jersey!?! Even worse, to a guy in NORTHERN New Jersey!?! My, you are a trusting person. :D Erric, you know I love you, man.

Wow, incredibly careless packaging. And Matt, you had this watch sent for collection to a guy in New Jersey!?! Even worse, to a guy in NORTHERN New Jersey!?! My, you are a trusting person. :D Erric, you know I love you, man.
Erric is in South Jersey. Us Northerners are way more trustworthy. The North remembers.

Erric is in South Jersey. Us Northerners are way more trustworthy. The North remembers.
I’m betting that he lives in the northern fringe of South Jersey. It’s all “family” land anyway. :D

Funny how Erric was warned about meeting me - a stranger from Germany!! - not the other way round. And unlike @TheGreekPhysique he didn't even bring the whole family as reinforcement. :D
Edited:

Funny how Erric was warned about meeting me - a stranger from Germany!! - not the other way round. And unlike @TheGreekPhysique he didn't even bring the whole family the whole family as reinforcement. :D
Niko’s family knows how to throw a party, for sure.

Thanks so much for the thread featuring you gorgeous new acquisition MtV with the great photos which share its qualities in detail. What a dial!

That is a vintage Omega that really "floats my boat"

The north/central/south jersey debate has raged for decades -- when it was just 201 and 609, it was easy, but once 908 and 732 got shoehorned in the middle, all bets were off. We typically use 195 as the designation line but even that may be a bit north ... pretty much once you see "Entering the Pine Barrens" is the start of south jersey and yes, we are pretty much right at the top, situated near the Greenwood section.

However, long before that debate was the East/West Jersey one and many of you have probably never even heard of that! Hell, I didn't for the first several years I lived here ... pictorial proof of the older Jersey divide:

Funny how Erric was warned about meeting me - a stranger from Germany!! - not the other way round. And unlike @TheGreekPhysique he didn't even bring the whole family the whole family as reinforcement. :D

I asked for a selfie so I could put out the APB in case of the worst, esp after he told me he was rolling around in a Big Black SUV!

Congrats on the Seamaster! I was following the auction and was quite tempted but as you noted, the auctions photos were rather poor and a lot of the other watches being sold were in horrendous condition. I had contacted the auction house and asked about the condition of the dial, ie whether the mark next to the 3 o’clock marker was a scratch on the dial or a reflection, but didn’t get a response. Glad it worked out for you, gorgeous watch.

The north/central/south jersey debate has raged for decades -- when it was just 201 and 609, it was easy, but once 908 and 732 got shoehorned in the middle, all bets were off. We typically use 195 as the designation line but even that may be a bit north ... pretty much once you see "Entering the Pine Barrens" is the start of south jersey and yes, we are pretty much right at the top, situated near the Greenwood section.

However, long before that debate was the East/West Jersey one and many of you have probably never even heard of that! Hell, I didn't for the first several years I lived here ... pictorial proof of the older Jersey divide:
As we also know, NJ across from Philadelphia including Cherry Hill, Haddonfield and Cinnaminson was annexed by Pennsylvania long ago.

Congrats on the Seamaster! I was following the auction and was quite tempted but as you noted, the auctions photos were rather poor and a lot of the other watches being sold were in horrendous condition. I had contacted the auction house and asked about the condition of the dial, ie whether the mark next to the 3 o’clock marker was a scratch on the dial or a reflection, but didn’t get a response. Glad it worked out for you, gorgeous watch.

This picture made me thing the scratch was only on the plexi:
A39B11A8-D10C-4CD7-ADF5-1B573C7EA2FC.jpeg

But yes, it was a gamble.

This picture made me thing the scratch was only on the plexi:
A39B11A8-D10C-4CD7-ADF5-1B573C7EA2FC.jpeg

But yes, it was a gamble.

The reflection in that photo was in the same vicinity as what was obviously just a reflection in the other photo. In any event, glad it went to a good home :thumbsup:

Niko’s family knows how to throw a party, for sure.

@MtV @gbesq It was a heck of a time. Thank you guys for coming! We should upload some photos from the show and tell at some point.