Forums Latest Members

New Arrival: Black "Half Waffle" Arrowhead 50s Seamaster

1. MtV Apr 25, 2023

Hello everybody,

there's a new arrival to my flock and I figured it might be worth sharing, as this specific configuration isn't seen too often. Meet a ca. 1958 Seamaster ref. 2846 with a black "half waffle" dial and arrowhead indices:

IMG_6967.JPG

Apologies for a bit of dust on the plexi, black dials always seem to highlight that. Anyway, I'm excited: The auction pics didn't quite show the quality of the dial, but I cannot seem to find any blemishes whatsoever. The arrowhead indices are obviously better known from Constellations of the period, and usually not in combination with 12-3-6-9 numerals and lume plots. I'm aware of a few examples with luminous arrowhead dials on Connies and never quite warmed to them - on this Seamaster, though, with the numerals creating a slightly more "busy" impression anyway, I find them... cute. :)

Alpha hands are also an unusual but welcome little design aspect, but the highlight to me is the "half waffle" dial. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't say no to a nice full honeycomb example. But ever since seeing one for the first time - thanks, @cristos71 - I've wanted one. The flat outter circle of the dial seems to highlight the honeycomb structure on the inside by contrasting it.

And as an additional bonus, there's the large hippocampus case back:
    FullSizeRender-3.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_7028.JPEG

The case isn't the best anymore and I'm not a huge fan of gold-caps, I must admit. The dial is definitely the party piece here, and I might try it out in a sharp SS case. In the meantime, here's some close-ups of the dial to drool over:

FullSizeRender-1.jpg FullSizeRender-2.jpg FullSizeRender-4.jpg IMG_7022.JPEG

And a closer look at the text:
    FullSizeRender-5.jpg Seamaster closeup.jpg

Plus the obligatory wrist-shot:

IMG_6970.JPG

Also, a huge thanks to @seekingseaquest and @RevZMan123 for helping with finding/receiving it! :)

Redwes25, Rman, nitediver and 81 others like this.
  2. Redondo444 Apr 25, 2023

Very nice piece!
    Dibs :)

MtV likes this.
  3. qazwsx1 Apr 25, 2023

Congratulations, but it’s seem too small for your wrist.:D

Rudi99, Donko1100, mac_omega and 5 others like this.
  4. Nissestr Apr 25, 2023

Great addition to your collection @MtV !

MtV likes this.
  5. MtV Apr 25, 2023

Nice try Teerapat. ;)

6. gbesq Apr 25, 2023

Teerapat's wrong. It's too big for your wrist. I can help.

7. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Apr 25, 2023

Killer watch!

Scarecrow Boat and MtV like this.
  8. gbesq Apr 25, 2023

Gorgeous watch, Matt. The combination of the "half waffle" dial and the alpha hands is really attractive. And a crosshair too!

MtV likes this.
  9. jantjewgm Apr 25, 2023

Beautiful!

MtV likes this.
  10. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Apr 25, 2023

I saw it at the auction but had other priorities! Good we didn't engage in a bidding war.
    I quite agree, it is much too small for your wrist. Let us people with stick wrists buy it :D

qazwsx1 and MtV like this.
  11. cristos71 Apr 25, 2023

Very nice addition Matt, congratulations!

Scarecrow Boat, qazwsx1 and MtV like this.
  12. iamvr Apr 25, 2023

Congratulations, my friend. Another great addition to your amazing collection.

bardamu, qazwsx1 and MtV like this.
  13. MtV Apr 25, 2023

The auction house didnt exactly make it easy, by the way. For some reason, the lot included a 70s Omega box (haven't forgotten your dibs @flqt-9000 ) and some random generic bracelet links. They shipped the watch loosely in the box with the metal links flying around in it, too. They also just picked one of the addresses I had saved in my account with them and ignored all my mails that urged them to ship to a specific of those addresses. Thankfully, the one they took also worked out, but it's by far the most unprofessional auction house I've encountered so far. Oh, and when they inquired afterwards if everything went smoothly and I forwarded my criticism, they basically just said "Thanks, glad you were happy".

Davidt, Mods, felsby and 9 others like this.
  14. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Apr 25, 2023

Epic. And something I have experienced as well. In my case they shipped a watch (the wrong one btw) from Spain to the USA....

cristos71 and MtV like this.
  15. TimeODanaos Apr 25, 2023

I feel queasy now. Name and shame them please.
    Btw even by your standards, that watch is just beautiful!

Redondo444 and MtV like this.
  16. MtV Apr 25, 2023

Thank you! It's Les Collectibles in Canada.

Redondo444 and TimeODanaos like this.
  17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 25, 2023

It really irks me that the term "waffle dial" is being used for watches with this finish, and being used incorrectly.
    ::censored::

A dial as beautiful as this deserves the correct appellation, i.e.: "Clous De Paris", which is the term you use in sophisticated "watch nerd" company. Much more elegant than "waffle" don't you think?

If, on the other hand, you're down at the pub and your mate comments on your stunning dial, it's acceptable to reply "Yeah, nice isn't it, it's called hobnail".

tapaptpat, Aludic, rhetoric and 4 others like this.
  18. Redondo444 Apr 25, 2023

Need to say it looks much more better on your pictures than on the auction house ones :)

felsby and MtV like this.
  19. LesXL Apr 25, 2023

Very nice, Matt! Congratulations

MtV likes this.
  20. cristos71 Apr 25, 2023

AFAIK "Clous De Paris" is the French term for what we call a hobnail dial, not a waffle.

https://www.watch-wiki.net/doku.php?id=clous_de_paris

tapaptpat, qazwsx1 and Mark020 like this.