New Aquisition

I must say, I have been very cautious recently, especially when looking at project or restoration Speedmasters.

I am also wary of rare references that have a serious flaw, such as a dial scratch, or missing bezel. These used to be financially interesting, where if I did not like the end result, I could always get my money back. However, these mid quality watches have fallen right out of bed. I am being offered watches at $8,000 that I do not think should warrant $4,000 - so I keep my mouth shut. Gone are the speculator buyers who naively hope to make a profit. We have returned to a collector's market.

That means a project has to be cheap enough to make me sit up and notice it, and buy it at what might seem a bargain.

The flip side is that when a good example comes along, I have to pay for it, and if it is good, then I forget how much it was.

1-2024-07-05 11-02-56 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4).jpg
Sharp eyes will see the facet lines, and also the short bracelet. If you were a sleuth, you will know it is a 105.012-CB from a small wristed person, so possibly Asia.

It is lovely, and facet lines are strong.

2-2024-07-05 14-07-03 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4).jpg

Fat neck pushers look original and the function.

Inside, we see confirmation, and a watchmakers mark. Note there is no corrosion on the lip, something I have been seeing on a lot of offerings recently.
1-img_008-003.jpg :

The movement looks untouched - which it must have been, but by a skilled watchmaker.

No no.jpg

The 1506 bracelet was very short, but came with four links. I must say the bracelet is in unusually fine condition.

1-2024-07-05 15-09-15 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4).jpg

I have just spent the afternoon inserting those links. It's a good job this is not my living.

1-2024-07-05 16-51-01 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4).jpg

Oh yes, it came with B&P as well.

1-img_006-002.jpg

My goodness, I tried to reach through my screen to grab that CB it looks so beautiful. What a lovely specimen! Thank you for sharing.

Wow, I wonder where that's been squirreled away for the last 55+ years. The case edges and facets are so sharp! Congratulations!

Very beautiful, your time and effort certainly paid of on this one. Thanks for sharing, I’ll keep an eye on the Aug sales page of your site 😀

Nice to see someone else besides @hansaboy getting a nice Speedmaster. 😁 Spread the love.
Edited:

It’s an interesting phenomenon: the more we see, and get exposed to nice examples, the more jaded and desensitized we get.

Then…something like this comes along, and not only impresses the owner, who has certainly had reams pass through his hands, but gives the collecting community a little jolt of excitement as well. Thanks for posting.

wow, that's a pretty pretty thing!
Congratulations!

the aged lume & flat link bracelet makes this Speedy an absolute stunner! congrats!

This really is exquisite. Quite a find. The bezel is in fantastic shape. Thank you for sharing your new treasure!

Gorgeous example ! Thanks for sharing.
And agreed the speculator seems to have gone away and I believe this to be a good thing.

I have just spent the afternoon inserting those links. It's a good job this is not my living.

LOL. Fantastic watch!

Very fine example, love the bracelet

Another gorgeous pickup! If only I could find a 1506 in similar condition 😲 Beautiful set

Lovely. With the B&P this falls into the category of reference watch- one by which others are judged. Nice to see it in the hands of someone who appreciates it.

What an amazing watch - Congrats!!
And the bracelet looks almost brand new, quite unusual.
A question - have you had the watch serviced before you took the pictures??