New 300smp loosing 5 secs/week!

Posts
389
Likes
569
Ok, so I know many responses before even writing this!
My 300 looses give or take 5 secs/week when I leave it on my wrist and sleep in it?
Take it of and leave it dial up, everything is fine.
Like I said, I know there will be responses of 'you know what to do, take it off at night then', but I thought this calibre wasn't meant to loose?
I love the watch and I think like many of us I am just being a little OCD?
Does anyone else have any similar experiences?
Thanks.
 
Posts
10,068
Likes
57,376
If it’s a METAS certified master chronometer and is running within spec, it should not be losing any time at all.
 
Posts
6,420
Likes
31,480
If my 3861 wasn't losing time I would need to hack every week instead of balancing gain/loss by positional variation at night so I'm OK with that.
 
Posts
2,427
Likes
4,700
5secs/week are 0,00083 % deviation a week...would say this is well within METAS-Specs..
 
Posts
162
Likes
260
I’m always interested to know how people measure such tiny losses or gains.
I used a watch tracker app for a while, but found that it was as much a test of my reaction time to press the button as it was a measure of watch accuracy.
Yes, maybe my watch had lost half a second in twenty four hours, but maybe I just hit the button a bit slower the second time...
 
Posts
10,068
Likes
57,376
5secs/week are 0,00083 % deviation a week...would say this is well within METAS-Specs..
METAS spec is 0 to +5 SPD. That being said, I agree that a loss of 5 seconds per week is extremely accurate and could probably be improved upon with positional variation when not worn.
 
Posts
420
Likes
490
Theoretically this is out of spec but for 0.7 seconds a day I wouldn't even bother taking a trip to the dealer. Let alone lose the watch for weeks to have it adjusted.
 
Posts
30,175
Likes
77,921
If it’s a METAS certified master chronometer and is running within spec, it should not be losing any time at all.

This is a common belief, but it is not true...
 
Posts
10,068
Likes
57,376
This is a common belief, but it is not true...
I stand corrected! 😀 Just based on my own experience with my Globemaster which is relentlessly +5 SPD no matter what position I leave it in.
 
Posts
1,444
Likes
2,221
I’m always interested to know how people measure such tiny losses or gains.
I used a watch tracker app for a while, but found that it was as much a test of my reaction time to press the button as it was a measure of watch accuracy.
Yes, maybe my watch had lost half a second in twenty four hours, but maybe I just hit the button a bit slower the second time...

My experience exactly. Also a test of my ability to pinpoint the position of a second hand of a watch I have trouble reading the date on.

I've found my METAS watches to be incredibly accurate and nearly immune to positional variance. If it's + or - a few seconds at the end of the week or the month I'm not bothered, and am likely to have to reset anyway because I generally have several in rotation.