Forums Latest Members

Spending 2+ Weeks with the Seamaster 300 Bronze Gold

1. Karusel Jun 8, 2021

Hi, all.

I've received numerous comments asking about the Seamaster 300 Bronze Gold that I've been posting about. Since I haven't done a write-up about it, I figured I'll go over some of the things I noticed about the piece.

This is my first “write-up” so please excuse the lack of depth in some parts.

I won't go over the specs since RJ did a fantastic write-up about it here: https://www.fratellowatches.com/hands-on-the-new-omega-seamaster-300-in-bronze-gold/.

The Bronze Gold model came onto my wrist on May 21, just two weeks after getting the Seamaster 300 in stainless steel/black dial. The good folks at OB 5th Avenue remembered how I was crazy I got when I saw the specs on the bronze gold late last year. In fact, we were surprised that renders and details for that model didn't leak. Anyway, only a few Bronze Gold pieces came to the OB as a pre-release on the afternoon of May 20 and according to the OB, I'm the third person in the world so far to have the piece (unofficially). There are currently 7 in the wild as of writing (June 8).

On that fateful afternoon, I stopped by the OB debating what to do. I had seen the Bronze Gold in the flesh multiple times ever since the prototype and NFS pieces came around; I was mesmerized by it. As I had purchased the Seamaster 300 stainless steel two weeks ago, my wife was *this* close to strangling my neck as well as my wallet.

After seeing the piece, going back and forth with the wife, my mind was set and I purchased the piece straight from the delivery clamshell. The OB was gracious enough to take off the leather straps and put on a new brown polyester NATO strap for me, considering that summer was near.

IMG_6664.jpeg
    [Waiting]

IMG_6665.jpg
    [Here it comes!]

IMG_6666 2.jpg
    [Still fresh in plastic wrapping]

IMG_6667.jpeg
    [And... there it is.]

IMG_6672.jpeg
    [Close-up]

IMG_6675.jpeg
    [Stainless steel on the wrist]

IMG_6678.jpeg
    [Bronze Gold on the wrist with the polyester NATO strap]

IMG_0358.jpeg IMG_0366.jpeg IMG_0368.jpeg

Packaging
    The packaging is the same as the regular Omega pieces with the light brown bamboo watch case and whatnot. Nothing special unfortunately. I elected not to take the box at the time of purchase since I didn't want the bulk. OB was nice enough to ship it to me a few days later. I wasn't able to keep the clamshell however.

Differences
    - The colors of the OMEGA logo and the dial are different. (silvery white logo on the stainless, yellow-ish color on the Bronze Gold).
    - Stainless has a lollipop seconds hand, Bronze gold has the pointed spade.

IMG_6690.jpeg
    [Back at work with the two pieces]

IMG_6670.jpeg
    [At the Boutique, initial comparison]
    - The turning action of the stainless steel bezel feels rather "light" compared to that of the Bronze Gold. The bezel on the Bronze Gold has a solid click and takes more force to turn.
    - Obviously the case is a bit heavier since the Bronze Gold does contain 37.5% gold but the weight difference is hardly noticeable be it with the NATO strap or the factory leather strap.

Observations
    - The lume effects are almost, if not the same.
    IMG_0373.JPG
    [Stainless on the left, Bronze Gold on the right]

- Maybe it's my personal experience but the Bronze Gold is surprisingly resilient to daily wear and activities. I've swam in swimming pools and at sea, I've gone to firing ranges, worn it to work doing field response but no major dents have appeared. Despite exposing the watch to a wide range of humid and hot environments, no patina has developed. I've thrown it in sand and it hasn't gained a single scratch. My stainless Seamaster 300 has gained some hairline scratches, this has not.

IMG_0448.jpeg
    [At work]

IMG_0462.jpeg
    [At work 2]

IMG_0608.jpeg
    [Swimming]

041B8E74-228B-451C-8D71-095218AB4849.JPG

IMG_7758.jpeg
    [Just for giggles]

DC2BAF59-9B18-420B-90D1-D630EA4C2431.JPG

IMG_8289.jpeg
    [In the sand]

IMG_8313.jpeg
    [In the sand 2]
    - The gold is surprisingly "natural" in color in the context of it blending in. Compared to the stainless steel version, which shines like no other with its polished surfaces all around, the Bronze Gold is very toned down.
    - The watch is pretty thick at 14.4mm - the proportions on my wrist look really off because of the NATO but the size is quite manageable.

Conclusion
    This is a keeper. I'm very happy with how the watch came out to be and am greatly satisfied with it. This piece is definitely worth a look and is unlike any bronze or gold pieces that are in the wild.

Now I need to sell my stainless Seamaster 300 very soon to appease my better half.

Let me know if you have any questions and happy collecting.

Additional Photos
    IMG_7792.JPG

IMG_7795.JPG

IMG_7835.jpeg

IMG_8467.jpeg

Edited Jun 8, 2021
    5thdvd, Alfista88, M'Bob and 19 others like this.
  2. Z900rsdude Jun 8, 2021

Wow!!! That’s an awesome piece tbh, I wasn’t aware that a bronze Seamaster was available. Is it worldwide availability and not a limited edition?
    They say a bronze watch takes on a patina individual to its owner over time which I think adds a real personal bond with it. Enjoy and thanks for the great pics. How much does it retail for?

Karusel likes this.
  3. Karusel Jun 8, 2021

Thank you! It is not a limited edition per se but it’s taking some time to be produced and rolled out to different markets. I believe some locations have waitlists open for it. I can’t wait to see what patina this will take on.

it retails for 11,600 USD + tax.

Z900rsdude likes this.
  4. nicolamilton Jun 8, 2021

Really nice thread, and looks really stunning.
    But it also looks too big on your wrist, that lug to lug doesn't help...

Dero13, Duracuir1 and Larry S like this.
  5. AimForTheStars Jun 8, 2021

@Karusel Really good write up and fantastic photos. Interesting that you purchased the black and then the bronze. Which do you prefer? Also I have heard some interesting things about the glass reflection due to the absence of AR coating on the outside. Can you shed any light (no pun intended) on this?

Karusel likes this.
  6. Jkbenn02 Jun 8, 2021

Beautiful pictures

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 8, 2021

This watch already seems too dammed large for my 195mm wrist.

Dero13 and Duracuir1 like this.
  8. s2000_driver Jun 8, 2021

If you are under the sun or under even bright light, reflections are not an issue and the dial is visible. Any other situation, the refections are out of control. There is a good amount of gap between the top of the dome and the surface of the dial which makes the situation worse. That said, reading time is easy in any condition. It is the visibility of the dial and markers that is messy.

Karusel likes this.
  9. Karusel Jun 8, 2021

Thanks for your observation.

10. Karusel Jun 8, 2021

Thank you. I definitely prefer the bronze but I have that spot in my heart for the stainless steel too...

S2000_driver said it perfectly. Telling time isn't the issue - trying to take a photo of the watch is because the reflections are just insane. Just as it was for the previous gen SM300, the new series is near impossible to photograph properly in the wild. Need controlled lighting and shrouds just to make it work.

11. Walrus Jun 8, 2021

I’m very paranoid about watches looking too big for numerous reasons. Do you know the lug to lug size on that one, it certainly seems larger than many other new 300’s I’ve seen which actually isn’t that many but I think you pull it off fine. Seems like you love the darn thing that’s the main thing. Very nice watch, cool write up, excellent pictures enjoy it.

Duracuir1 likes this.
  12. Karusel Jun 8, 2021

Thank you for the kind words. Per the specs, it’s 48mm lug to lug… and I need to find a decent two-piece rubber strap to go with this to make it look normal haha.

Walrus likes this.
  13. thelinendial Aug 5, 2021

Great review! @Karusel if you have time, it'd be really nice to pics on progress of the patina of the Bronze Gold. I can't find any pics on the Internet so far.

14. dstfno Aug 6, 2021

Omega added some additional alloys to the bronze which should prevent it from aging.