Forums Latest Members
  1. Awetaylor Dec 22, 2020

I'm interested in buying this watch on eBay. It is described as "VINTAGE 1952 OMEGA AUTOMATIC SEAMASTER BUMPER CAL.354 LINEN WAFFLE DIAL RARE"

I'd like to have your opinions on the originality, if the dial is okay, how the movement is etc. (if you would be so kind please). I can't find another example of this exact watch so it's hard to cross-check its originality.

Here is my initial analysis:

Dial
    Looking at the dial, I understand that waffle dials are hard to redial, and the "Seamaster" print looks correct enough when comparing to good examples from the same period. The text looks fine and not too thick. The lume also looks darkened suggesting it has not been replaced. Finally the hands look correct for this period of seamaster.

Case
    Doesn't seem overly polished and the crown appears correct for a bumper Seamaster of this type.

Movement - My Achilles heel.
    It seems clean in my opinion, and it doesn't have too many different colours of metal. I notice that one of the screws has quite a bit of scratching around it and one of the "washers" looks damaged. Otherwise, I can't determine if there is anything to worry about. It would be useful to know your opinion.

Price is £975 ($1303) which I think is a bit steep. There may be some room to negotiate though.

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg

Thanks in advance for helping everyone.

2. ConElPueblo Dec 22, 2020

£975 is a joke, but the piece looks very correct to me.

padders, Awetaylor and Maskelyne like this.
  3. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Dec 22, 2020

Looks good to me but I’d also hesitate at that price. That said, they’re not making these anymore and this looks in reasonable condition for a seventy year old watch.

The seller offers a 30 day return, which is good if you’re not happy with it and, bearing in mind that the seller is a dealer and invites you to 'make an offer' so, if you’re keen you can try and negotiate the price down but you have to be prepared to walk away if he doesn’t come down sufficiently.

That said, if you look at his eBay record, which is good, most of his sales involve him having accepted a lower offer. Good luck

Zapatta, Awetaylor and wilderbeast like this.
  4. Awetaylor Dec 23, 2020

Thanks both for your help on this. I definitely think the price is too expensive. But I’ll take a pop at negotiating and hope something comes from it.

I had a look at similar Seamasters in the private sales section which has given me. Better idea of what an ideal but fair price would be.

Spruce likes this.