Forums Latest Members

Need help identifying originality of this 1946 Omega Mechanical

1. Romulus Aug 24, 2019

E9630AA3-24BC-4A3C-9C27-C07596670F1D.png F21FAA05-4E17-48A6-94F3-D8AA364E61B9.png Im looking to purchase this 1946 Omega from eBay for a great price but I'm new to vintage watches and could use some advice! From the serial number I looked up the watch on Omega and it stated that it's a 1946 265
    Movement mechanical watch. The seller acquired it from an estate and knows very little about the history and working of the watch, just knows that it keeps time but can't give me a definite + - time over 24 hours. I have a few concerns about the dial, it looks like the logo and lettering have been applied. Can anyone give me a hand identifying the watch and conditions! It doesn't come with a strap or lugs.
    Thanks!

8BA680A5-9B38-4DA1-8BFC-9EBEE88179C6.png
  2. Vitezi Aug 24, 2019

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

I would advise you to give that watch back to the seller, thank them kindly, stuff your wallet back into your pocket, and walk away. Before you spend a dime, slow down and take some time to educate yourself on what makes a good buy, and what is junk. Start here:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/condition-condition-condition-and-other-pieces-of-advice.1716/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/horology-101-understanding-your-watch.76731/

If you're still here after that, then dive into these threads:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/wruw-today.567/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/hor...luential-automatic-wristwatch-calibers.76549/

Don't be afraid to ask questions about watches other collectors are wearing. Join other watch forums. Buy a book or two on marques that interest you. Review the watches for sale on this forum. The right vintage watch for you has been patiently waiting for decades for you to find it; a little longer won't hurt.

3. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Aug 24, 2019

I agree with @Vitezi. Reminds me of two signs I saw on a second hand store. One said "We buy Junk" the other said "We sell Antiques".

That piece is antique junk. The redial alone is going to give me nightmares tonight...

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 24, 2019

I wonder if it would be possible to hack eBay so when a crap redial, franken or fake Omegas is clicked on, it automatically links to one of these threads forcing newbies to educate themselves before making a purchase.

apsm100 likes this.
  5. Romulus Aug 24, 2019

I appreciate the info! I'll do more digging on here more thoroughly before looking on eBay or making a purchase! I thought it looked redialed that's why I came on here to ask. Though word of advice back if you want to spread your community and encourage people to reach out and ask questions im sure people would appreciate not being referred to as "newbies". Makes this whole community seem selective and uninviting. But thanks again!

6. TexOmega Aug 24, 2019

It is selective and uninviting by design. It's a feature not a bug.

But we (mostly!) bathe daily and overall, not a bad lot.

Be glad Dennis is long gone.

welcome

KingCrouchy and efauser like this.
  7. Romulus Aug 24, 2019

To that I have no doubt!

pkaye6 likes this.
  8. TexOmega Aug 24, 2019

We all started right where you're at.

Foo2rama and apsm100 like this.
  9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 24, 2019

Newbie is a term of endearment. Also, what is incorrect and hurtful about newbie? It was your first post, does that not make you a newbie? You actually stated you're new to vintage, if that's not a newbie, I'm not sure what it makes you.

10. Romulus Aug 24, 2019

Its' been a fun experience so far! I'm enjoying the process so far! And actually novice has a nice ring to it! I'm definitely a novice and thought eBay would be the best place to start looking and of course I saw Omega with a rather cheap price and thought it would be a good start but I noticed the logo being redialed or at least had a suspicion! Just need to be patient like the first commenter said.

11. Walrus Aug 24, 2019

I was called much worse than newbie when I started

12. Romulus Aug 24, 2019

Really? That's a shame!

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 24, 2019

He deserved it though.

;)

But he hung around, took it on the chin and is now a semi-useful contributor.

apsm100 likes this.
  14. Romulus Aug 24, 2019

Haha well if that's what it takes!

15. Walrus Aug 25, 2019

Actually I stuck around and am now the most intelligent poster here

16. ConElPueblo Aug 25, 2019

You still are :D

KingCrouchy and efauser like this.
  17. Tigeranteater Aug 26, 2019

Oh man you were treated with kid gloves compared to me. Newbie isn’t a bad term and in fact made me WANT to learn. At the very least, knowledge can save you a TON of money. Be glad you have not paid NOOB tax. There are some amazingly knowledgeable people on here. Fact is, they were noobs at one time too welcome. Enjoy. Have fun and learn.

efauser likes this.