Forums Latest Members
  1. dr.sfu Sep 28, 2019

Hello Forum members,

this is my first post.

I know for you long time members it looks like the common

„OMG PLS HELP ME WATCH FAKE ??????“ thread. After the Question is answered the member will never post anything else. This is not my intention.

Yesterday couldn’t resist to buy, what for my untrained eyes looked legit, this vintage Omega on a flea market.

I always wanted a nice decent watch wich is vintage.

So like the most do i began lurking around in the web to check if it is fake or not. After searching for a coupe of hours i wasn’t sure if it is fake or not.

As you can see the crystal is cracked at two places.

The watch works pretty well as far as i can say that because I only checked occasionally yesterday and today if it holds the Time right and it did. Only this morning it was like ten minutes behind the correct time. But i think it is because of its handwinding movement.

The movement is handwinding. Unfortunately i can’t show you the movement because i don’t want to open the case by myself because i don’t think i would do it right because i’m beginner. So i better stay safe and let a professional do that.

if you can clarify that the watch is fake there would be obviously no need to get it opened. The movement should be copper colored if i read it correctly. If it wouldn’t be copper colored and/or would be to small for the case, it is also fake, right ?

The dial looks legit for my untrained eyes, i think the logo is not unsymmetrical like the examples in the Fake watch thread. For me the font also doesn’t looks off.

The hands are also looking correct from what i’ve read, they should be the luminous dauphine. My only concern is the constellation are the hour markers because i couldn’t find anything like that at the omega vintage database or in the web.

The crown is definitely not the original one i think.

and the bracelet of course too.

The diameter of the watch is 34mm.

Of course it would be interesting what kind of model it could be.

I am not a vintage watch collector (Maybe this could be the the gateway drug for it haha) so it is not important for me if every piece of the watch is completely periodically correct or shouldn’t belong to that septic series.

It is my starting watch and i want a vintage watch wich i like, wich looks decent and i could enjoy and wear everyday.

If the watch is legit i would like to change the crystal of course. How much should i expect for it ?

Please don’t roast me if it is obviously a fake watch

I hope you are so kind to answer my question and help me.

Thanks a lot

IMG_6987.JPG IMG_6988.JPG IMG_6989.JPG IMG_6990.JPG IMG_6993.JPG IMG_6994.JPG IMG_6995.JPG IMG_6998.JPG IMG_6999.JPG

image.png
  2. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Sep 28, 2019

Redialed and relumed with hulk goo. Return to sender.

Mark020 likes this.
  3. Shabbaz Sep 28, 2019

Is that a app 38mm case? Looks like a 2505

4. Dan S Sep 28, 2019

As noted above, the dial has been repainted (and re-lumed) very crudely, so the watch would not be desirable to a collector. For what it's worth, the watch may have original Omega components, but we would need to see photos of the inside to be sure.

Since you purchased it at a flea market, I assume that you didn't pay much. And obviously, there was really no opportunity for you to ask the forum before making the purchase. With more experience, you will be able to recognize repainted dials more easily. The strange color of the lume should have been an immediate clue to look more closely. Then you could have noticed the crude and uneven printing and the lack of sharpness of the edge of the sub-dial.

Edited Sep 28, 2019
    dr.sfu and DaveK like this.
  5. Dan S Sep 28, 2019

I don't know about the size, but I don't think it's a ref 2505. The lugs are different.

jeppehh likes this.
  6. Shabbaz Sep 28, 2019

Ah. Yes.

7. Walrus Sep 28, 2019

Looks like a redial and a replacement crown. Someone else will need to comment if it’s authentic I have nothing like that. Sometimes at Tag sales it’s worth taking a shot if things a real cheap and thrown in a bin

dr.sfu likes this.
  8. dr.sfu Sep 28, 2019

Thanks a lot for your kind advice !
    Do you have any advice how i could open it carefully myself ? I have a couple scalpels and medical tweezers because i am a medical student.
    And of course also normal tools.
    Otherwise i'm going to get it opened by a watch maker.

I paid 240€ so the loss is not too big.
    Next time i will definitely ask here !
    Do you have any advices for me how I could spot repainted dials more easily ? And how could i see if it is a strange lume ?
    I'm sorry i'm a beginner so i'm very grateful for any advices.

9. Walrus Sep 28, 2019

There is a thread here that just shows redials. It’s actually very helpful and with a little study it becomes very easy to pick out in most cases

dr.sfu likes this.
  10. Dan S Sep 28, 2019

If you look closely around the edge of where the case-back meets the case itself, you may find a small opening into which you can insert a blade. If you do it correctly, the back will just pop off. A "case knife" is the correct tool, but any sharp knife or scalpel could work, but obviously you should be very careful because it could easily slip.

As for recognizing repainted dials, there is no substitute for a lot of practice and experience.

dr.sfu likes this.
  11. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Sep 28, 2019

That wasn’t too bad of a roast! [​IMG]

JwRosenthal likes this.
  12. dr.sfu Sep 28, 2019

Sadly i can‘t find the opening everything looks really neat.
    I hope it‘s not glued together...
    I will get it opened and then show it here

Thanks a lot again !

13. Dan S Sep 28, 2019

Well, that's unfortunate, I just noticed the price you paid. When you said flea market, I was imagining that you paid 50€ at the most. 240€ is probably painful enough that you will think twice next time. As you know, forum members call this a "noob tax".

14. dr.sfu Sep 28, 2019

Yes it definetly is.
    So i obviously paid the noob tax...
    A good thing is it will not happen again.

15. Dan S Sep 28, 2019

The opening is small and sometimes hard to see. It can also be hiding behind a lug. After the watchmaker opens it, you will be able to see a small indentation on the edge of the case-back, and you can ask him to replace it so that the opening is in a particular spot, e.g. opposite the crown. Then you can practice opening it.

dr.sfu likes this.
  16. Edward53 Sep 29, 2019

It's a 2605. A shame about the condition as they wear very nicely and are quite scarce.

20190417_140404.jpg

17. w154 Sep 30, 2019

dr.sfu likes this.
  18. dr.sfu Sep 30, 2019

So I was at the watchmaker and he opened the watch. Luckily he said it is an original Omega movement. For me it also looks like one.
    What do you guys think ?
    The watch itself is a 2605-5. One screw is missing as you can see.
    I'm thinking about getting the screw fixed and the watch serviced. He says it would probably cost around 300€ for service screw and crown.
    The crown would be 80€. Is 300€ ok ?
    He said the guy who 'restored' the Watch didn't had a stamp for the signature he painted it by hand. That's why the O of Omega is tog big.
    I asked what the price would be to restore that but 250€ is to much for me. I can live with the big O.
    Right now the crystal is getting changed and i pick the watch up in 20 minutes.
    Then I'll show you the result.
    And he fixed the opening spot like Dan S recommend. He saw the wrong position and told me that he is going to position it right. I didn't had to ask for it.

IMG_7010.JPG IMG_7013.JPG
  19. dr.sfu Sep 30, 2019

20. Dan S Sep 30, 2019

Looks legit, from the early 1950s.

dr.sfu likes this.