Forums Latest Members

Omega 2603 - is it possible to find correct dial and hand set ?

1. w154 Apr 26, 2016

Around a year ago I bought a vintage 2603-11 with the cal. 268 movement. I bought it for the large size and the cool "spider" lugs, but also for the interesting dial with double arrow markers. Well I was a real noob on certain things back then, so I didn't realise that the dial was completely refinished.

I enjoyed wearing it on occasion, but now all I see when it's on is the bad redial. So I want to try and find a correct dial and hand set. Can anyone give advice on where to try and find one ? Of course I can look on eBay, but still I am not really sure which parameters I should search for to be sure another dial would fit (and be period correct for 1962-63).

omega_zpska15pu09.jpg
    noelekal likes this.
  2. DON Apr 26, 2016

Finding a similar dial could be difficult. Better off getting it refinished at a better company. Needs to be the same diameter and same curvature at the edge as the bezel contacts the edge of the dial and if curve doesn't match (or very close to). The bezel will not snap down properly

Hands are Plain Dauphine and you need to measure from the hole center to the tip to get length.

Jules Borel carries 13.7 and 15 mm

Problem today is that most refinishers don't redo the indexes. My old refinisher would replate the indexes to make sure they came close to matching new hands or if the original hands were good. He would polish and replate those to match.

Probably better off replacing yours

DON

w154 likes this.
  3. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 26, 2016

That's the trouble with those stinkin' redials. They come back on you like a bad McDonald's Double Quarter Pounder with cheese.

The sloppy sub-set markings flowing out of the stepped dial seem a common malady with dial refinishes on dials with sub-second feature.

I can see why you like it, w154. I could still enjoy owning that watch with a careful "re-do" on its dial. Is the crown correct?

4. w154 Apr 26, 2016

Thanks for the great Information DON..

One thing though, I don't really mind if the dial is similar or not in terms of colour, index type, and so on. As long as I could find one that is period correct, and could have come on that reference, then I would be happy !

5. w154 Apr 26, 2016

The watch is sat in a drawer at home so I can't check right now, but having looked at the photo just now I agree it might not be orginal. I think I could live with that though... it is the dial that is killing it for me :-(

6. DON Apr 26, 2016

If you find a nicer dial. Going to pay for it and then find out it doesn't fit right. Loads of cases and dials by Omega. Some work, Some don't. You buy a clean dial and it gets a minor scuff or scratch while testing to see if it fits and your stuck with it. Back to square one of buying another and maybe trying to resell the current.

I tried a great looking dial I had for a rebuild. Fit the case fine, but just a touch to much curve on the edge and bezel wouldn't snap closed. Thought about lathing a touch off, but went back to the original dial and had it refinished

That's why I always went with the refinished dial option. I know the dial will fit. Also. My guy was one of the best at his job and his dials came back looking factory new and at a reasonable price. He retired a few years ago

DON