Forums Latest Members
  1. B.E.L. Jun 30, 2019

I have had my eye on a speedster for years now.

Edited Jul 16, 2019
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 30, 2019

What were you thinking of getting done?

Was in a Omega Boutique in Dubai 5 years ago and the guy before me ordered 4 Planet Oceans in red not orange.
    He had to pay a bit for it but they took his order.

B.E.L. likes this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 30, 2019

There are Speedy customizing houses out there. But more under the radar as Omega buyers tend to like originality, while many Rolex buyers want to one up the other guy. Broad strokes but has some truth.

What exactly are you looking for?

4. jimmyd13 Jun 30, 2019

(PLEASE NOTE THE LINKS BELOW ARE JUST FOR ILLUSTRATION - search locally for better prices and I'm sure you will find them).

The '57 is available as a full sized, manual wind, co-axial: https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Omega-...MIqI7X_N-R4wIVzBXTCh0b3giHEAQYASABEgKy8PD_BwE

There's also the Speedmaster Trilogy: https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/watch-omega-speedmaster-57-chronograph-38-6-mm-31110393001001

Aftermarket sapphire crystal casebacks are available as well and you can swap them out easily with the right tool. Keep the original caseback and you have no issue whatever your future needs or those of their future owners. I'm not sure what Omega's policy is on aftermarket casebacks but you can always swap them back if there's a worry when it comes time for them to go back for a service. I am sure that it would affect the guarantee as far as waterproofedness is concerned.

5. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 30, 2019

The 2 register co-axial '57 is actually an auto. I am not aware of any 2 register Speedy ('57 or Racing) set up for manual wind only, though there was a 42mm coax that used a 3X13 variant without the rotor and had a enamel dial. It was nice that one.

Foo2rama and jimmyd13 like this.
  6. jimmyd13 Jun 30, 2019

I'm surprised that the model isn't available in the US from their ADs but there are always grey market dealers. I'm not recommending this link but it shows up immediately on Jomashop: https://www.jomashop.com/omega-331-10-42-51-01-002.html

There's also one on the FS section here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-speedmaster-60th-anniversary-trilogy-le.90839/

Or you can use the search function for both private and business sellers on OF: https://omegaforums.net/search/11047142/?q=trilogy+speedmaster&o=date&c[node]=11+40

7. Bp1000 Jun 30, 2019

Two watches sprung to mind

60th anniversary speedmaster - this is one hell of a watch. It was nothing like what I normally go for. All shiny and with a metal bezel but it’s so charismatic on the wrist. Your compromise comes in the form of 3.4mm in width and hesalite not sapphire.

The new 50th anniversary moonwatch - everything you described but with the added dial art.

Otherwise spend big on a flat link bracelet first Gen ck2998

Or try to replicate the with a FOIS and a vintage service replacement 1125 bracelet and 625 end links.

The FOIS is smaller 39.8mm but it doesn’t have broadarrow hands but does have sapphire

The final option is the unannounced and possible Ed White 321 re-edition - pure speculation

8. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 1, 2019

Edited Jul 1, 2019
  9. ilayd Jul 1, 2019

You can absolutely modify a speedy. There are a lot of options for it too. You can buy bezels, hands, dials, casebacks and anything in between separately. Sometimes you can do it via a AD, sometimes 3rd party vendors with an account, other times ebay or the like. Another option is in the parts sale section of this forum. Various options will cost more or less depending if you're paying the Omega price, or that plus the markup.

You also have to make sure that all the parts you want to put together do work together, so it'll take some time to research and make sure its compatible. Finally, you will lose the Omega warranty and you'll have to pay a watchmaker for a service (during which they'll usually replace those parts).

If that's the route you go, you may be able to find a really good condition used watch, and replace all the parts you want... saves on cost of the watch, you'r replacing parts anyways, no warranty to worry about, and you will ultimately have to get a used one serviced anyways. That being said, store the original parts safely too and pass them on with the watch, as those may crate a lot of value down the line... and it'll also give those who inherit it a chance to change some or all of it back if they choose to.

Here is just an example of a site that sells omega parts: https://www.swisslimitededitions.com/

10. ilayd Jul 1, 2019

Im not sure what area you're from, but I have never dealt with an Omega dealer that is condescending. You also have to take into consideration what you are actually asking of the dealer to do, in context of what the watch market is like today. If you look for 3rd party sellers on websites or ebay, you'll notice that there is a pretty high mark-up on Omega parts because their availability outside of Omega is hard to come by. Im sure those dealers get tons of people calling to "buy" parts that turn around and try to make a profit selling it on eBay. Secondly, when a dealer sells you parts, they warranty them. They dont want people buying up random parts then blaming Omega online or on forums or elsewhere saying that the watches are bad... when they took those parts and jacked up the watch or took the parts to an incompetent watchmaker.

Getting parts individually is hard, takes knowing people in the scene, or building relationships on the forums or with your AD, otherwise you look no different than a dozen other shysters trying to score a quick buck. Not saying you are, but how can they tell?

Also, good luck trying to buy a Rolex from a AD, let alone a custom one with parts that you want to pick and choose that dont normally come. Head over to a Rolex AD and come back and let us know how that experience goes.

11. mz_cle Jul 1, 2019

12. rohnin Jul 1, 2019

If you have three kids, just get the 60th Anniversary Trilogy set

13. ilayd Jul 1, 2019

Some dealers are definitely more stickler about parts than others. When I was looking for a modified buckle for my Speedy, I had absolutely no problem with ordering it from my local AD. However, there are examples of people that had issues when they tried to order them as the dealer would verify that the parts dont normally go with that Speedy.

Honestly, your best bet would be to locate a watchmaker who has an Omega account and discuss the work with him or her... They would be doing the work anyways, so you may as well start there. The watchmaker would let you know how much it would cost for the parts and labor. Omega will always refuse to put parts on a watch that didnt originally belong there.

In your case, dealer would only be good for getting the watch, and maybe giving you a list of Omega certified watchsmiths in your area.

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 1, 2019

How about you just buy the watch then find the watchmaker that will do what you want.

The dealers sell watches your problem is your asking the sellers to do the watchmakers stuff.

The world is a big place.
    I sent a watch from Australia to Canada for a service :thumbsup:

interferon likes this.
  15. tzachi Jul 1, 2019

Id go with anything you like, but pick a WR watch that can be used anytime anywhere..

16. Gruesome Jul 1, 2019

Maybe contact Archer on this forum? I don't know whether he does bespoke modifications, but it can't hurt asking.

17. jets Jul 3, 2019

Dude do you understand how many stupid people call and ask stupid things effectively wasting their time? Go in PERSON and talk to them face to face you'll get better results. If you're asking about modding a luxury watch over the phone how serious do you think they're taking you? You haven't even bought anything yet! Also, be prepared to PAY.

18. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 11, 2019

Here’s the thing. As has already been stated several times here, an AD or Boutique can’t sell you factory parts other than straps or buckles, Omega won’t let them. If you are the sort who doesn’t take no for an answer very well then I can see how the conversation got frosty. You may be able to persuade an authorised watchmaker or service centre to provide parts and perform ‘conversions’ (search for the Watchco threads for an example) but as mentioned above it’s hassle for them and it doesn’t sound like you actually know what you want yet. If you had done your homework, already had the base watch in hand and said ‘I want this part number dial and hands fitted to this Sapphire Sandwich’ then you may get a more positive response. By asking dealers you are asking in the wrong place, they just can’t help with this any more as it’s both against company policy and also extra unnecessary hassle when either parts don’t fit or the customer flakes and they are stuck with them. What you are asking isn’t impossible it just takes a lot of research, effort and persuasion.

Edited Jul 11, 2019
  19. Duckie Jul 11, 2019

It requires a lot of experience and understanding of the industry and the challenges one will face.
    I suppose the OP is going to realize this in due course.
    He already has a great platform to mod up with the Seikos as there's plenty of scope there to play with. But the OP considers they don't meet his criterion.

As my Grandfather used to say "there's no experience like the experience you pay for".

20. Martin_J_N Jul 11, 2019