Forums Latest Members

My first Omega...and it's heavily modded (FOIS-based)

1. nismo Jul 4, 2019

Purists that hate modded/franken watches please hit the back button on your browser and have a nice day! :)

I've mentioned this before in a few threads and posted a photo Adam Lewis from Lewis Watch posted on his IG before shipping out to me end of April. I saw it today in person for the first time and I fell in love with it. I was not a fan of faux patina in the photos, but it looks a lot better in person imo.

First the bad news...I tried to fit a Trilogy bracelet on it and it did not work. The #6 end links are 1.6mm too short and will not abut the case. Pin holes would have to be drilled on the lugs...not doing that. There is hope the 321 movement Speedmaster that Omega is releasing will have a 19mm SS bracelet that will work...if I can't buy that watch due to high demand I will try that bracelet once available.

Back to the good news...here is some info on the watch.

FOIS #10,xxx
    Chemically faded bezel
    Broad Arrow re-issue dial (3954.50) relumed (ZnS)
    Original vintage hands and relumed (white baton, drop tail second hand)
    Hesalite crystal with tension ring. Case was NOT modified and can be swapped back per Adam and passed pressure tests.
    Pre-moon service caseback (145.0012)
    Trilogy crown

I have all original FOIS parts to switch back except the FOIS hands it came with.

After I bought that, I had Jean Rousseau custom make me a black calf strap to FOIS-specs with a butterfly deployant. I highly recommend JR...excellent customer service and you can basically make whatever you want and get it in a month or so. I paid $240 total for it via PayPal (strap $180, deployant $50, and shipping to US $10). I have not tried it on yet as I was hoping the Trilogy bracelet would be there instead. :/

Non-cell phone photos are Adam's and I am posting them with his permission. Caseback image I used my MS Paint skills to remove the s/n. :)

2019-07-04.jpg

IMG_4580.jpeg

IMG_4581.jpeg

IMG_4582.jpeg

IMG_4584.jpeg

IMG_4745.jpeg

of.jpg

2019-06-11.jpg

2019-06-11 (1).jpg

robinhook, vbrad26, JohnWoo and 28 others like this.
  2. jimmyjay Jul 4, 2019

Nicely done. How did you chemically fade the bezel?

3. nismo Jul 4, 2019

It was built by Adam Lewis of Lewis Watch and I bought it a little over 2 months ago. I sent him a link to this thread for him to answer any questions as I don't know the answer to that.

4. corn18 Jul 4, 2019

I can never unsee the sapphire milk ring. Ugh.

Stripey and Darlinboy like this.
  5. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 4, 2019

I agree 100%. It is a nice watch build, but seeing the ring in the photos stops me in my tracks. I suspect it is less stark in-hand. I have a couple Speedmasters LEs with sapphire crystals, and the ring isn't that noticeable to me. But it could be because neither have black dials, so the contrast is softened.

The Lewis builds that I have seen are first-rate. He definitely builds some watches that grab my attention and try to pry out my wallet.

Omegafanman and neilfrancis like this.
  6. corn18 Jul 4, 2019

That patina deserves hesalite. Then I like it very much.

7. Martin_J_N Jul 4, 2019

I like it, really nicely done IMHO, I also like that brown leather strap on the watches, presuming that you can get these from Omega as an accessory and that they will fit a standard Moonwatch so a trip to my OB looks to be in order. Great job, nice set of watches.

8. nismo Jul 4, 2019

It is hesalite. In the photo of the 3 mine is far left. Stock FOIS in middle with milky ring.

Pazzo likes this.
  9. corn18 Jul 4, 2019

Oh my. I will stand down, then.

10. nismo Jul 4, 2019

Pic I just took with my phone to show it better.

IMG_20190704_140349.jpg

KLXN, Omegafanman, wagudc and 14 others like this.
  11. corn18 Jul 4, 2019

I like it!

12. 8100_RPM Jul 4, 2019

Congrats to the OP on your new watch. The mods were tastefully done!

What's the deal with the specks on the dial?

ModFOIS.jpg

13. LeonDeBayonne Jul 4, 2019

Beautiful job!

jklim likes this.
  14. nismo Jul 4, 2019

Not on the dial but under the hesalite as far as the brightest one at 7:30. Others are dust on top/outside that are no longer there. The bright one doesn't really catch my eye when looking at the watch but I guess for those ocd they may want the dust removed from inside. My OB scratched the hell out of my new lugs today taking the strap on and off today lol. I guess it's just part of the watch's story now.

8100_RPM likes this.
  15. fraglerock Jul 4, 2019

Love it. I'm not OCD, but I'd definitely want the dust removed if I'd paid to have this done.

16. Ninja2789 Jul 4, 2019

Man. This looks really good. I remember seeing one of these mods out in the wild on IG and thinking what a world we've gotten to where we can remake a straight lug speedy from a modern to such a high level.

marco likes this.
  17. ext1 Jul 4, 2019

Not bad! Pretty cool.

I’m more curious to know what it cost you though, compared to a real Ed white with relume. Real but all relumed EW doesn’t go for that high.

18. yande Jul 4, 2019

Nice work, but then that seems to be an oxymoron as nice work does not involve pieces of dust left under the dial.. Not being picky, more so curious... What are these marks, around the sub dials. There are more than I have highlighted.. Modded Speedy.jpg

AveConscientia and Eve like this.
  19. nismo Jul 4, 2019

Some of the subdial white margin look like unpainted/uncoated portion left by Omega and others are not real and due to lighting as I look at it putting a light to it. It's not visible looking directly at the dial and needs a steep angle to notice.

As mentioned above only 1 of those on the hesalite is real and rest was removable dust. Upon closer inspection the persistent one at 730 I think may be a small nick and not dust as it's actually a circle with a clear center (think of it as of hitting a sharp point). I can't tell for sure but it seems to be on the inside as I can't feel it. I've already scratched the hesalite minimally today with light use. If it was sapphire I'd like it fixed but I consider it a wear and tear item being hesalite and it will be replaced in 5 years.

The subdial part doesn't bother me as the rest of the watch has a faux patina on it. Hell maybe even those were added for effect for all I know. If it wasn't a patina watch I may be inclined to do something about it but I'm not. Still enjoy looking at it. :)

20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 4, 2019

How did he do a Hesalite swap without nodding the case?