Forums Latest Members
  1. twolights15 Sep 17, 2019

I am the original owner of this Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch that I purchased in the early 1970"s.

IMG_2136.JPG

fullsizeoutput_108c.jpeg

IMG_2140.JPG

Thanks to Omega Forums members I have gained a fair amount of knowledge and appreciation for the watch since joining the group three years ago. However, I am still very much a novice compared to most of you and I am seeking advice on few things relative to the watch.

A little more background on the watch....worn for about ten years....combination of business office, sailing, skiing, etc. No heavy "industrial" use. The watch had been in storage since the early 1980's. I brought it out of storage about three years ago.

I now enjoy wearing it occasionally but I am concerned about potential internal damage. The watch runs, but only for 6-7 hours per wind. I hear a clicking noise after 20 plus winds. I know the watch is in need of service (more on that below), but short of that......am I increasing the level of damage to the watch by continuing to wind the watch several times per year?

In regards to getting it serviced, should I have it serviced or should I just leave it as is? I'm asking this specifically in terms of future value. I've read enough here on the Forums to know not to send it to Bienne for service and I have read about independent shops that have been recommended by several of you. I've also read that maintaining the watch "as is" if I was considering selling it. I don't plan on selling it in the near term but given my age I don't see holding on to the watch beyond the next five years.

So, in summary:

Any damage by winding it occasionally given it's in need of service?

Should I keep it in its present state assuming a future sale within next five years?

If servicing is recommended who should I contact?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you wish to provide.

Etp095 and alexkovac88 like this.
  2. Socks Sep 17, 2019

If you’ve been on here that long you know the answer....

If you think at all that you maybe doing damage stop and get it serviced!!

As with anything, selling a non-working item puts you on the back foot straight away and the cost of a recent (documented) service will translate into value.

Your location and someone will advise on a watch servicer.

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. befobe Sep 17, 2019

Quite new too, in the speed world, so interested in OF answers... But to my opinion, I would not be afraid buying a vintage watch with a service report, provided that I get the original replaced parts, especially if it concerns "external" parts (crown, glass, etc...). I even would prefer buy a watch which "runs strong" (as says Kringkily...), instead of an "as is" damaged one... Again, personal feeling, I cannot bear having a sick watch in my tiny personnal collection... I would send it for repair... whatever the cost... ! Concerning who can do that... no obvious answer; for example, I live in France, and the official omega website indicates only 1 service center around my home, a big jewelry shop... but I know an independant workshop, specialized in vintage Omega, who has the top training level from Omega, but not listed in the Omega web site...

OzOmega likes this.
  4. twolights15 Sep 17, 2019

Thanks. I live a remote area of Colorado, so I would need to ship the watch to a shop to have it serviced.

5. twolights15 Sep 17, 2019

Thanks for the advice.

Likewise, I personally would prefer to acquire a watch that has been serviced by a respected shop preserving its authenticity as much as possible. However, I am aware that there are collectors who would prefer to buy the watch as is and have it serviced by themselves or from a shop they have a history with. I'm just trying to figure out the best path to follow.

I live in the US, so I would likely have it serviced here.

6. alexkovac88 Sep 17, 2019

What a beauty... and you’re the original owner so I guess there’s a lot of sentimental value there as well.
    If I were you, I’d get it serviced and see how I feel afterwards. That’s a beautiful watch that needs some serious wrist time.

Cheers

7. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 17, 2019

Of course you get it serviced. Sounds like your mainspring is broken.

When I owned a Speedmaster, Greg Mogle did a stellar job of servicing. Consistent +2 per day! PM me for his contact information.

Tom

connieseamaster likes this.
  8. Screwbacks Sep 17, 2019

your watch is still good external condition. you have no choice but to have it checked in
    for service in order to enjoy fully well.

9. vienna Sep 18, 2019

This watch deserves to be serviced as soon as possible,

kind regards Max

10. JamieG Sep 19, 2019

It’s clearly broken which means it’s worthless. Send it to me for safe disposal.....

11. Dan S Sep 19, 2019

Broken mainspring most likely, but after such a long time it needs a full service as well. I would ship it to one of the respected Omega-qualified independent watchmakers frequently mentioned on the forum.

12. twolights15 Sep 23, 2019

Thanks Dan S and to all who responded. I will ship the watch off to one of the independent watchmakers mentioned in the forum.

OzOmega likes this.
  13. Swissgmt1675 Sep 23, 2019

Nice watch...as mentioned before you should only give it a service without changing anything else...Bob Ridley in Texas is a wizard in my book regarding vintage high end watches,had a very good experience with him about 10 years ago regarding a 6538 complete restoration.Good luck..

barbecoa likes this.
  14. OzOmega Sep 23, 2019

I know nothing about Omegas but if it was my watch I would service it and then wear it every day till either it or I gave up.
    Fantastic to see a 70's watch still with original owner..... I am at the moment getting a full service on an inherited Hummer and can't wait to get it and wear it.... (in my case the service cost far outweighs any future selling price price but C'est la Vie)