My Omega Service Timeline

This thread is to simply document my experience and time line for those interested in having their vintage watch serviced by Omega. I've only seen a handful of people post a timeline from start to finish, so I figured it'd be worth it for those first timers to see what it is like. Consider this anecdotal at best, as this is my first experience whatsoever with a watch service. I'll update the thread as I have updates.

This is what it looked like before:

1589884-b7fe5debcd5f6c7257bb79dafa478544.jpg

04/09/2023 - After a few days of owning my eBay Constellation (pictured above), it took a bit of a tumble off my wrist. The buckle on the aftermarket leather strap separated, cause my Connie to fall crystal first on concrete. The sound it made when it landed, I knew it would not be pretty. I picked up the watch and noticed the crystal was badly cracked. Fortunately, or so I thought, the watch was still running smoothly and maybe just a crystal replacement was needed. I took it to my local jeweler who has a watchmaker on staff, and was told it was too vintage for them to mess with and recommended I contact Omega directly to see what they recommend.

04/10/2023 - I reached out to my local Omega Boutique in Houston. It took 3 phone calls over the span of 45 minutes before I was able to speak to someone on the phone. I explained the situation to the friendly lady (I don’t recall her name). She said damage to the crystal typically warrants full service to make sure there are no tiny glass particles stuck in the movement, and they don’t do servicing ‘in-house’ at their location. Her and I went over their service estimate guide, which put the service cost at a base price of $700 for a non-chronograph mechanical movement. She said I had two options; I could bring it by the Boutique and they would send it off for me or I could contact the Service Center directly, where they would send me a complimentary mailer to send it to them. She said once the Service Center has it, they will do an inspection, provide me with a list of recommendations for repair, then await my approval. She said if I don’t go through with it, they will simply mail it back to me. She said if I do decide to go through with it, the Service Center would refund my shipping cost via a service credit if I opted to ship it in myself versus getting the complimentary mailer. Since Houston is 90 minutes from me, I opted for the latter, and was informed she would email me with everything I needed. About four hours after I got off the phone, I received the email which contained the phone number and email address for the Service Center HQ. I then attempted to call the Service Center. Keyword, attempted. I called twice, waited about 20 to 30 minutes each time, but never spoke to anyone. I decided to go ahead and send an email.

04/11/2023 – I got a generic form email back about mid-afternoon, which included the mailing instructions with customer form or to call the Service Center and someone would assist me. Nothing about a complimentary mailer or the reimbursement of shipping costs, but I also didn’t bother to ask. I printed out the form, filled it in, and boxed up my watch to send it in.

04/12/2023 – I took my box to the post office, and $57 later, it was headed to the Service Center in California. Why California? It was listed on the customer form as the one I needed to send it to since I reside in Texas.

04/13/2023 The post office tracking shows it was delivered to the service center at 2:57 p.m.

04/17/2023 – At 9 p.m., I received an email from the Service Center regarding my watch. It provided me with a website link, a username and password to authorize/decline the service and to update me as to the status of the service, and a PDF copy of the service form. I went to the website, entered the username and password, and was greeted with the service form. The first thing I noticed was the ‘Conditions received’, which listed the following:

- Because of the special nature of this service, the watch must be sent to switzerland for service.
- The watch shows signs of normal wear.
- Due to the condition of the movement, proper functioning of the watch can no longer be assured.
- The movement shows signs of rust forming.
- The crown is missing.
- The luminous material on the dial and/or hands is flaking.
- The watch is not running.
- Moisture damage evident on dial.
- Moisture damage evident on the hands.
- The crystal is cracked.

The service status listed the following:

04/14/2023 Timepiece Received Completed
04/14/2023 Technical Diagnosis Completed
04/17/2023 Waiting For Approval In progress

One thing I thought was odd, it listed the crown as missing. It shipped with the crown, so I don’t know if it somehow rattled off in shipping or what. I had bought the watch for a couple hundred off eBay, so the rest wasn’t a surprise. It did list one optional item, which was to replace the dial. After speaking with my wife, I decided to go ahead and approve everything, dial included. After approving it, I was prompted to enter my card information, which I did. It then updated to the following:

04/17/2023 Waiting For Approval Completed
04/17/2023 Service Approved In progress

04/18/2023 - I checked it before bed, and had the following update:

04/17/2023 Service Approved Completed
04/18/2023 Waiting For Parts In progress

I was kind of surprised, as I expected it to show it as being shipped to Bienne. Maybe it just means Bienne is waiting for the parts as it is being shipped over? No idea.

04/19/2023 - Another check before bed, and another update:

04/18/2023 Waiting For Parts Completed
04/19/2023 Service in Process at Brand Headquarters In progress

Yet again, more surprise. It's telling me it's in Bienne and they are servicing it. I'm not holding my breath, as that meant it went from California to Bienne, Switzerland in less than 24 hours, was given to one of their watchmakers straight away, and they are already working on it. I have a feeling it'll update by the end of the week to say it's headed to 'Brand Headquarters' or something similar.

04/20/2023 - Service progress has been updated:

04/19/2023 Service in Process at Brand Headquarters Completed
04/20/2023 Service in Process In progress

So it was at Bienne in Switzerland being serviced, and now it's being serviced somewhere else. Cool. No idea what it means, but an update is an update.

04/21/2023 - Service progress has been updated:

04/20/2023 Service in Process Completed
04/21/2023 Service in Process In progress

Hmmm, this is kind of odd. Since there isn't a lot of information out there that I can find through the Google Machine, I broke down and called the Swatch Service Center out of curiosity. After a brief 10 minute wait, I spoke with yet another lovely lady on the phone. In a nutshell, the service process for my watch looks like this:

I send watch in to CA. CA Service Center looks at watch. Service center sends out estimate. I approve and pay for estimate. Service center assembles watch, watch is sent to HQ in New Jersey. Once HQ gets enough watches together, they get sent to Switzerland. It takes around two weeks for watches to arrive in Switzerland and go through their customs. Once released, it goes to HQ. It's at HQ for about a week to get all the servicing and testing done, assuming all parts are on hand or readily available. Once completed, it takes about a week or so to get shipped back to their HQ in New Jersey. They do QC checks there to verify the watch survived shipping, double check the accuracy of the movement and possibly do additional pressure testing for waterproof watches, then it is sent to me.

Right now, my watch is either on it's way to HQ in New Jersey or it's already there. The 'service in process' just means it is moving through their system. The next status update I should see is it being shipped to Switzerland or it being received at the NJ HQ. Once it does get to Switzerland, it should be updated with an estimated completion date.

Now, she did give me a few tidbits to tuck away for in the future. I was told that vintage watches sent to the service centers in CA or FL are automatically sent to Switzerland as those service centers don't have the staff or parts availability for vintage watches. She said the one in Seattle is better equipped for servicing vintage movements and handling minor repairs. Full restorations, more advance repairs, or uncommon movements would most likely have to get sent to Switzerland, but a partial service for a vintage watch would most likely be done in house at the Seattle center. She also said for servicing, it doesn't really matter if it is shipped from the customer or a boutique, they get treated the same.

As always, this is from one person in a call center, so take it at face value.

04/24/2023 - Service progress has been updated:

04/24/2023 Service in Process at Brand Headquarters In progress

The 'service progress' from 04/21 disappeared, as well as the 'Service in Process at Brand Headquarters' from 04/19. Based on the conversation from Friday, my assumption is it has arrived at the NJ HQ.

04/26/2023 - Service progress has been updated:

04/26/2023 Service in Process at Brand Headquarters In progress

The update from 04/24 was superseded with this one. I don't think it updated because I looked at it, or else it would've updated yesterday.

05/12/2023 - Service progress has been updated:

05/12/2023 Service in Process at Brand Headquarters In progress

The update from 04/26 was superseded with this one. Nothing else has changed or been added. After two and a half weeks of nothing, it's nice to see something

06/12/2023 - Update:

After 30 days with no update, I contacted Omega Support at 1-800-766-6342 to see what they could tell me. After waiting on hold for a few minutes, I spoke with the representative, another lady.

She asked for and was given the service number for my watch. She confirmed the model name and caliber movement, then put me on a brief hold. She returned after about a minute and apologized as the service information had not been properly updated. She said during the 05/12 update, service notes were entered by HQ in Bienne but were not reflected on the service information page. She said the watch had been received and examined by HQ, the service request had been verified and accepted by HQ, and an estimated completion date had been listed as the end of October. She said she would manually update the service information page to reflect the entered information, and I should see it in a day or two. She said the actual date of completion was listed as 10/26, but that could be subject to change based on parts availability. I thanked her for the time and information and ended the call.

I finally have an explanation for the 05/12 update that seemed meaningless, and it's nice to have at least a completion date, even if it is not a guarantee. I'll be curious to see when the service information page is updated with the new information. I checked it right before I made this update and hasn't been updated yet.

09/01/2023 - Communication update:

While at work, I got an email from Swatch. The email stated it was an 'updated' invoice for my Constellation. I clicked on it, wondering what it could be, and was greeted with the same exact invoice from 04/14/2023. I checked the CIS system, and everything appeared the same. After going line by line, I saw there was an added message to the bottom of it: "Upon approval of estimate the approximate delivery time is 9 weeks."

I approved the estimate and paid the invoice on 04/17. 9 weeks would've started 06/17. When I called Swatch in June, I was told estimated date of completion was October 26th. My assumption, the 9 weeks is if it stays at the service center in the U.S. and doesn't have to get shipped to Switzerland.

09/30/2023 - Service tracking has been updated:

Service Tracking
The estimated date of completion for this service is 11/05/2023. This date may be revised based on spare parts availability and service capacity at the time of approval.

A slight confession, I didn't check it last night before bed. It's possible it may have update yesterday and I missed it, but I'll put it for the day I discovered it (today). I have an official date per the service website! When I called Swatch in June, I was told October 26th and they would update my service tracking to reflect that. Obviously it never happened, and my new 'updated' time is November 5th. Which, about that, it's a Sunday? Do they make their watchmakers work on the weekends, or is it just a generated date by the system? My uneducated guess is probably the latter. Either way, still exciting to see something. I know it 'may be revised based on spare parts availability and service capacity at the time of approval', and I've read plenty of horror stories of a seemingly never ending date that is always pushed back, but I am still happy to see something.

11/21/2023 - Communication update:

On 11/08/2023, I sent an email to the Swatch customer service requesting an update on my watch. On 11/10/2023, I received an email reply back:

"The revised estimated completion is currently 11/05/2023. Please keep in mind this is a computer generated date, and the service can be completed beforehand. You will receive an email letting you know that the service of your timepiece has been completed."

I replied back on 11/10/2023, asking when I would see an updated one as that one had passed 5 days ago. On 11/14/2023, I received an email reply back from a different person:

"Thank you for your email and we apologize for the inconvenience you have encountered. Kindly note, that we have sent an email to our HQ regarding a service update. Please allow 24-48 business hrs to receive a response. Once a response is received we will give you a follow up call"

As of 11/21/2023, I haven't received a call back. I am going to wait until December to see if I get a follow up. If not, I'll call them after the 1st.

The first thing that caught my eye was 'revised estimated completion'. The online service tracker never listed a completion date, the only one I had was from my phone call to the Swatch Group back on 06/12 which was for 10/26. The second was 'computer generated date'. I had originally speculated that the completion date was computer generated, as it was listed for a Sunday.

01/03/2024 - Service status update:

01/03/2024 Service in Process - Completed
01/03/2024 Service Completed - In progress

Service Tracking: [UPS TRACKING NUMBER]

The email I received:

Dear Valued Customer,

We are happy to inform you that your watch sent to our service center has been completed and shipped.

Tracking# [UPS TRACKING NUMBER]

Attached for your reference is a copy of the invoice.

If you have any questions, please contact our Customer Service Department for assistance.

Sincerely,

Swatch Group, US Customer Service

Here I am, sitting at home, when I hear my phone ding for an email. I check it, it is the above email. I click on the tracking link, and it takes me to the UPS website. The package has left the New Jersey Service Center and is headed my way. Estimated delivery is Monday, January 8. Signature is required, and I can not e-sign for it, a resident has to be here to sign for it. They also sent me a final invoice as well, showing the final price for the service. No hidden surprises there, it was the same amount I authorized for. Now, to (im)patiently wait for Monday!
12/05/2023 - Service Status Update:

Service Tracking
The estimated date of completion for this service is 01/30/2024. This date may be revised based on spare parts availability and service capacity at the time of approval.

While at lunch, I got the following email:

Dear Valued Customer,

Your job reference: [My name here]

In reference to the above mentioned service number, we regret to inform
you that due to current events and limited staff, we are unable to meet
the originally scheduled due date for the servicing of your timepiece.

We apologize for the inconvenience and assure you that we will do our
very best to return your watch by 01/30/2024.

Up to the minute status of this watch may be always be tracked through
our Customer Information System website,
https://www.swatchgroup-services.biz/SGUS using the service number noted above as the login and [REDACTED] as the password.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further
information and we thank you in advance for your trust and patience.

Sincerely,

Omega Customer Service

E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 877-839-5224

P.S. -Our service pricing and FAQ guide is now available and may be
viewed by visiting www.SGUSCustomerService.com

So, 30 days after the original due date, I have an updated due date of 01/30/2024. This feels like another computer generated one, so we shall see.
Edited:

Like 10
Is there any specific reason you didn’t pursue a private watchmaker?

Like 2
Wait to you get the fee for double the watches worth :whistling:

Like 1
Is there any specific reason you didn’t pursue a private watchmaker?

I contacted one in Austin that serviced Omegas. I explained the damaged, gave him the numbers I had for it, and was told Omega was going to be my best bet since it was an 'uncommon' one and they would be the best source for the crystal. I do think my next one will probably go to Nesbits or similar.

Wait to you get the fee for double the watches worth :whistling:

I already got the fee ($1001) and paid it. I don't plan on ever parting with it, so it is worth it to me.

Like 8
I already got the fee ($1001) and paid it. I don't plan on ever parting with it, so it is worth it to me.
Sweet, good you went in knowing. Many don’t ;)

Like 2
Sweet, good you went in knowing. Many don’t ;)

The lady at the Omega boutique told me it would be at least $700 + tax, so I at least had that as a heads up. I wasn't completely blindsided by the bill.

One thing I thought was odd, it listed the crown as missing. It shipped with the crown, so I don’t know if it somehow rattled off in shipping or what.
I’m curious to see how this watch looks once you receive it back. It is possible the crown shook free in transit, however, I’m more inclined to believe this was the service representatives way of saying the current crown was a generic non Omega part. Regardless, you’ll get a new Omega crown in the service.

Like 2
Great thread, following this one. I've never dealt directly with the manufacturer for a service/repair.

Like 2
04/20/2023 - Service progress has been updated:

04/19/2023 Service in Process at Brand Headquarters Completed
04/20/2023 Service in Process In progress

So it was at Bienne in Switzerland being serviced, and now it's being serviced somewhere else. Cool. No idea what it means, but an update is an update.

I contacted one in Austin that serviced Omegas. I explained the damaged, gave him the numbers I had for it, and was told Omega was going to be my best bet since it was an 'uncommon' one and they would be the best source for the crystal. I do think my next one will probably go to Nesbits or similar.

I used to send my vintage Omega's to a great watchmaker in Toronto. However, more recently he has expressed difficulty in sourcing OEM parts for the watches. Can anyone share the location of a reliable US based person who can still source OEM parts ?

Thanks.

I used to send my vintage Omega's to a great watchmaker in Toronto. However, more recently he has expressed difficulty in sourcing OEM parts for the watches. Can anyone share the location of a reliable US based person who can still source OEM parts ?

Thanks.

That would be a question for @Archer , I believe he is a Canadian based Omega certified watchmaker. You may also want to post a thread here in the Vintage forum and ask. I'm not sure how much traction it would get here in my thread.
Edited:

04/21/2023 - I'm a day late with this, but oh well. Service progress has been updated:

04/21/2023 Service in Process In progress

Hmmm, this is kind of odd. Since there isn't a lot of information out there that I can find through the Google Machine, I broke down and called the Swatch Service Center out of curiosity. After a brief 10 minute wait, I spoke with yet another lovely lady on the phone. In a nutshell, the service process for my watch looks like this:

I send watch in to CA. CA Service Center looks at watch. Service center sends out estimate. I approve and pay for estimate. Service center assembles watch, watch is sent to HQ in New Jersey. Once HQ gets enough watches together, they get sent to Switzerland. It takes around two weeks for watches to arrive in Switzerland and go through their customs. Once released, it goes to HQ. It's at HQ for about a week to get all the servicing and testing done, assuming all parts are on hand or readily available. Once completed, it takes about a week or so to get shipped back to their HQ in New Jersey. They do QC checks there to verify the watch survived shipping, double check the accuracy of the movement and possibly do additional pressure testing for waterproof watches, then it is sent to me.

Right now, my watch is either on it's way to HQ in New Jersey or it's already there. The 'service in process' just means it is moving through their system. The next status update I should see is it being shipped to Switzerland or it being received at the NJ HQ. Once it does get to Switzerland, it should be updated with an estimated completion date.

Now, she did give me a few tidbits to tuck away for in the future. I was told that vintage watches sent to the service centers in CA or FL are automatically sent to Switzerland as those service centers don't have the staff or parts availability for vintage watches. She said the one in Seattle is better equipped for servicing vintage movements and handling minor repairs. Full restorations, more advance repairs, or uncommon movements would most likely have to get sent to Switzerland, but a partial service for a vintage watch would most likely be done in house at the Seattle center. She also said for servicing, it doesn't really matter if it is shipped from the customer or a boutique, they get treated the same.

As always, this is from one person in a call center, so take it at face value.

That would be a question for @Archer , I believe he is a U.S. based Omega certified
That would be a question for @Archer I believe he is a U.S. based Omega certified watchmaker.
Archer is a great resource, but is Canadian based
upload_2023-4-22_22-59-19.png

Like 1
04/24/2023 - Service progress has been updated:

04/24/2023 Service in Process at Brand Headquarters In progress

The 'service progress' from 04/21 disappeared, as well as the 'Service in Process at Brand Headquarters' from 04/19. Based on the conversation from Friday, my assumption is it has arrived at the NJ HQ.

I have a lot of my clients saying everything is being sent over to Switzerland even for what used to be routine service. I'm guessing it is either the lack of watchmakers or restrictions on parts and only having readily available common, mainstream model parts available at their US facilities. I just hate that getting anything serviced nowadays can leave you 6 months or longer (I had them service a vintage piece I couldn't find the parts anywhere in the US and it took them 18 months...). I wish you the best of luck on your service journey.

Like 3
I have a lot of my clients saying everything is being sent over to Switzerland even for what used to be routine service. I'm guessing it is either the lack of watchmakers or restrictions on parts and only having readily available common, mainstream model parts available at their US facilities. I just hate that getting anything serviced nowadays can leave you 6 months or longer (I had them service a vintage piece I couldn't find the parts anywhere in the US and it took them 18 months...). I wish you the best of luck on your service journey.
I heard that omega was not satisfied with some of the services performed outside of omega in bienne. The reason for this i don't know.
That is why they restricted parts distribution and now want to do even the most basic service in Bienne personally. But because of this they have many watches to service which causes a longer waiting time.

I heard that omega was not satisfied with some of the services performed outside of omega in bienne.

To be honest, I think that if one of my Omegas needed service beyond what a local watchmaker could handle, I'd prefer that it be done in Switzerland instead of an Omega service center in the U.S. But, like many (most?) OF members, I own more than one watch. If I were just a regular watch owner with my one hard-earned Seamaster, I'd be pretty upset to be without it for over a year.

Like 1