My Omega Service Timeline

Once released, it goes to HQ. It's at HQ for about a week to get all the servicing and testing done, assuming all parts are on hand or readily available. Once completed, it takes about a week or so to get shipped back to their HQ in New Jersey.

This may have been true in the past, but the timeline is now much longer. I sent two vintage watches in October and they went to Bienne. I think the quote was about 35 weeks and I'm still waiting. The estimated completion date is at the end of June.

To be honest, I think that if one of my Omegas needed service beyond what a local watchmaker could handle, I'd prefer that it be done in Switzerland instead of an Omega service center in the U.S. But, like many (most?) OF members, I own more than one watch. If I were just a regular watch owner with my one hard-earned Seamaster, I'd be pretty upset to be without it for over a year.

Hence why I got a second one:

IMG_20230420_212202_773.jpg

It's a late 60s US Collection, but it'll do the job until I get my Constellation back.

Like 1
This may have been true in the past, but the timeline is now much longer. I sent two vintage watches in October and they went to Bienne. I think the quote was about 35 weeks and I'm still waiting. The estimated completion date is at the end of June.

I didn't get a quote since I did mine through self service mail in, other than what the lady at Swatch Service HQ told me. Going by her time frame, it should take about a month and a half. But, I am going to patiently wait and report in the updates as I get them.

Is Omega replacing the dial rehaut, the part with hour markers that sits on top of the dial, as that looks very discoloured?
Edited:

Is Omega replacing the dial rehaut, the part with hour markers that sits on top of the dial, as that looks very discoloured?

The service estimate shows "DIAL RHOD NO IND. C.1012 CONST $200.00"

My assumption is 'NO IND' means no indicators, so it is the dial and not the dial rehaut, but that is pure speculation on my part. My guess is they will clean/polish it to remove the discoloration or I'll get an updated service estimate to replace it as well. It could also be that is the part they are replacing and my assumption is wrong.

Like 1
It will be interesting for us to see how it turns out.
I thought the actual dial looked ok and didn't need replacing and it's usually better to retain the original where possible. The watch would look nicer with a replacement Rehaut if the original cannot be cleaned

Like 1
04/26/2023 - Service progress has been updated:

04/26/2023 Service in Process at Brand Headquarters In progress

The update from 04/24 was superseded with this one. I don't think it updated because I looked at it, or else it would've updated yesterday. I only check it once a day right before bed, or else I'd obsess over it and check every 15 minutes.

To answer a message I received: I am listing every update, whether they make sense or not, as well as any communication I have with Omega or vice versa. Today's update is an example of one that doesn't really make sense, but it is still an update nonetheless. As I said in the beginning, my aim is to provide a start to finish timeline of my experience with the Omega factory service.

Like 3
04/26/2023 - Service progress has been updated:

04/26/2023 Service in Process at Brand Headquarters In progress

The update from 04/24 was superseded with this one. I don't think it updated because I looked at it, or else it would've updated yesterday. I only check it once a day right before bed, or else I'd obsess over it and check every 15 minutes.

To answer a message I received: I am listing every update, whether they make sense or not, as well as any communication I have with Omega or vice versa. Today's update is an example of one that doesn't really make sense, but it is still an update nonetheless. As I said in the beginning, my aim is to provide a start to finish timeline of my experience with the Omega factory service.

Be like the rest of us...

every 15 minutes is The Way.

Like 2
When my father passed away I inherited his 1958 Seamaster. I remember him wearing it daily for years when I was a kid but it spent the past 30 or so years in his dresser drawer. The movement didn't work at all. You couldn't wind the watch, the hands didn't move and you could hear the bumper rotor rattling around when you tipped the watch back and forth.

I took the watch to the Omega Boutique in Chicago and had them send it to Switzerland. Their estimate was around 6 months and about $1500 to service the movement and restore the dial (I am almost certain that they restored the dial rather than replacing it because they returned the watch with all the small parts they had replaced during the restoration and the old dial was not among them. Plus, they said that they had restored and not replaced it). I also had them provide me with the manufacture date and history of the watch. I knew from looking at vintage Seamasters on eBay that it was probably worth around $500. Nonetheless, the value to me was not measured in dollars and cents but rather in the memories of my father that it brings back. Eight months later I got the watch back. I wear the watch when my wife and I go out for dinner and I am delighted with how it turned out.

While some on the forum may not agree, I think this was $1500 very well spent. Every time I wear it I think of my dad. Some day my son will have it and remember his grandpa.

Here are the before and after pictures:

IMG_7985.JPG IMG_9207.JPG
IMG_9199.JPG

Like 29
When my father passed away I inherited his 1958 Seamaster. I remember him wearing it daily for years when I was a kid but it spent the past 30 or so years in his dresser drawer. The movement didn't work at all. You couldn't wind the watch, the hands didn't move and you could hear the bumper rotor rattling around when you tipped the watch back and forth.

I took the watch to the Omega Boutique in Chicago and had them send it to Switzerland. Their estimate was around 6 months and about $1500 to service the movement and restore the dial (I am almost certain that they restored the dial rather than replacing it because they returned the watch with all the small parts they had replaced during the restoration and the old dial was not among them. Plus, they said that they had restored and not replaced it). I also had them provide me with the manufacture date and history of the watch. I knew from looking at vintage Seamasters on eBay that it was probably worth around $500. Nonetheless, the value to me was not measured in dollars and cents but rather in the memories of my father that it brings back. Eight months later I got the watch back. I wear the watch when my wife and I go out for dinner and I am delighted with how it turned out.

While some on the forum may not agree, I think this was $1500 very well spent. Every time I wear it I think of my dad. Some day my son will have it and remember his grandpa.

IMG_9199.JPG

$1500 for a memory both visceral and physically real is peanuts... you spent your money phenomenally well in my opinion.

Like 8

I am simply amazed at how wonderful your Seamaster turned out. It is gorgeous!

I feel a similar way about my Constellation. While it doesn't have the same emotional connection, it is still priceless to me. It is my first high end watch, purchased as a reward for a promotion at work, and will be something I intend to keep to pass down to my kids. Spending $1000 to have it professionally serviced is more than worth it to me.

Like 2

IMG_9199.JPG

I would say that was money well spent - I think your estimate of $500 valuation is completely wrong. Despite the restored dial - the fact it was done by Omega (and so well), I think it is worth the full amount you spent. That is without the priceless family connections. In your shoes I would be very happy.

Like 3
Fantastic job, good decision to spend that amount, and you know what, in a year or so you will not miss the 1500 dollars at all anymore.

Bravo, a priceless family treasure thanks for sharing!

05/12/2023 - Service progress has been updated:

05/12/2023 Service in Process at Brand Headquarters In progress

The update from 04/26 was superseded with this one. Nothing else has changed or been added. After two and a half weeks of nothing, it's nice to see something.

I have a lot of my clients saying everything is being sent over to Switzerland even for what used to be routine service. I'm guessing it is either the lack of watchmakers or restrictions on parts and only having readily available common, mainstream model parts available at their US facilities. I just hate that getting anything serviced nowadays can leave you 6 months or longer (I had them service a vintage piece I couldn't find the parts anywhere in the US and it took them 18 months...). I wish you the best of luck on your service journey.

I believe Omega restricted access to lots of 321 parts to watchmakers, even those with extranet access. So, unless your watchmaker has a stock of service parts or knows where to source parts he needs, the only way to go is to send the watch back to factory.

It's going go be even worse with the current 3861-powered watches, my feeling is that all of them will be due back to factory for service. Funny though, I don't think Omega have doubled or tripled their after sales support/service capacity - the lead times will dramatically increase imo...

Like 1
Quoted member kov
I believe Omega restricted access to lots of 321 parts to watchmakers, even those with extranet access. So, unless your watchmaker has a stock of service parts or knows where to source parts he needs, the only way to go is to send the watch back to factory.

It's going go be even worse with the current 3861-powered watches, my feeling is that all of them will be due back to factory for service. Funny though, I don't think Omega have doubled or tripled their after sales support/service capacity - the lead times will dramatically increase imo...

What you say is true, at least partially. The most common wear parts in something like a 321 would be train wheels - in my experience center wheel and third wheel. These parts are common to the 321 and 861/1861, so they are readily available from Omega, and are in no way restricted. So it's not as difficult to service these as you might think, as long as the watch is in decent condition.

06/12/2023 - Update:

After 30 days with no update, I contacted Omega Support at 1-800-766-6342 to see what they could tell me. After waiting on hold for a few minutes, I spoke with the representative, another lady.

She asked for and was given the service number for my watch. She confirmed the model name and caliber movement, then put me on a brief hold. She returned after about a minute and apologized as the service information had not been properly updated. She said during the 05/12 update, service notes were entered by HQ in Bienne but were not reflected on the service information page. She said the watch had been received and examined by HQ, the service request had been verified and accepted by HQ, and an estimated completion date had been listed as the end of October. She said she would manually update the service information page to reflect the entered information, and I should see it in a day or two. She said the actual date of completion was listed as 10/26, but that could be subject to change based on parts availability. I thanked her for the time and information and ended the call.

I finally have an explanation for the 05/12 update that seemed meaningless, and it's nice to have at least a completion date, even if it is not a guarantee. I'll be curious to see when the service information page is updated with the new information. I checked it right before I made this update and hasn't been updated yet.

IMG_9199.JPG

The original damaged dial you sent to Omega appears to be a "re-dial." It's probable that at some point your Dad was "upsold" on a redial service by his local watchmaker. On the original damaged dial, note how close the Omega name is to the applied logo, and note how the "3" does not align with the 15 minute / second rail marker.

My grandfather also had a 50s Seamaster and it ended up with a dodgy re-dial. My theory is a lot of local independent watchmakers in the 1960s -1980s "upsold" their clients on a re-dial when they brought their watch in for a mechanical service. These re-dials were clearly not Omega authorized as they usually look pretty sloppy.

Anyway, the Omega service came out great. Enjoy your dad's restored watch in good heath!

Like 2
The original damaged dial you sent to Omega appears to be a "re-dial." It's probable that at some point your Dad was "upsold" on a redial service by his local watchmaker. On the original damaged dial, note how close the Omega name is to the applied logo, and note how the "3" does not align with the 15 minute / second rail marker.

My grandfather also had a 50s Seamaster and it ended up with a dodgy re-dial. My theory is a lot of local independent watchmakers in the 1960s -1980s "upsold" their clients on a re-dial when they brought their watch in for a mechanical service. These re-dials were clearly not Omega authorized as they usually look pretty sloppy.

Anyway, the Omega service came out great. Enjoy your dad's restored watch in good heath!

That was my thought as well. In this persepctive, an Omega redial was a sound investment indeed.