Forums Latest Members
  1. mjb Dec 2, 2019

I got my new watch today, wound it up, and it started ticking away. Tested the chrono, worked fine. Then I set the time.

30 minutes later noticed that it was still set to the same time, seconds were not moving. I messed with the stem a few times, popping it out and back in, no good. Finally I pushed the chrono buttons and that got it moving. It seems to be fine now.

I am concerned, but didn't know if maybe this was a typical "feature" or characteristic of the chrono movements that I had not seen before. It's a DSOTM with the 1869 movement, and just now when I went to look at the back of the watch, turning it over, it stopped again.

Dang it.

I guess I need to send it in. I bought it gray market, so I'm not sure how much if any my local AD will give me a hard time about it. Maybe I should just send it in directly?

Thoughts, suggestions?

2. Donfiore Dec 2, 2019

If you bought it on the gray market, for exemple Jomashop, you need to send it to Jomashop instead of your AD, since you will not have the factory warranty, only the gray market dealer warranty.
    If it was Jomashop then just send it in, most likely, since it is brand new, they will give you another of the exact same watch.

bucksandreds likes this.
  3. mjb Dec 2, 2019

It was not Joma. I should have the international warranty (it has a validated warranty card). I'll just send it myself to Omega in Florida I guess.

4. Donfiore Dec 2, 2019

Then just send it to the OB with the warranty card.
    It's very fortunate that you bought it with the validated warranty card, Joma for instance doesn't sell watches with factory warranty.

5. gbesq Dec 2, 2019

Yes, good that you have the warranty. Send it to Omega. They’ll take good care of you.

6. Martin_F Dec 2, 2019

Or maybe return for a refund if that's an option?

Evitzee likes this.
  7. stevec14 Dec 2, 2019

Really sorry to hear that and hope it doesn’t kill the love for the Apollo. First choice is to return it. Else if you are close to an OB take it in there.

8. vbrad26 Dec 2, 2019

If I had a watch from the grey market (Joma specifically), and needed warranty work, I would just bite the bullet and pay for an out of warranty service from the manufacturer.
    I have read so many horror stories about grey market warranty work.
    I know this does not apply in this case but just putting it out there for those who maybe don't know...

mikekchc likes this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 2, 2019

Did you fully wind it until you couldn't wind it any longer?

Is this happening with the chronograph running, or is the chronograph off and reset?

Can you show some photos through the case back?

Cheers, Al

10. mjb Dec 2, 2019

These comments above are why I do not buy from Joma. I'm sure they're fine and reputable, but I don't want my new watch serviced by them. And their savings generally isn't enough to cover a service. This seller gives me a stamped international warranty card. The seller is in Sweden, so it's actually cheaper for me to ship it to Omega in the states than back to them.

I'm honestly embarrassed to take it to my local AD, as I looked at the watch there and they'll know that I bought it grey. They likely will send it off for service, but may take their time or charge me for shipping or otherwise maybe not perform to top expectations. Not trying to imply that they would not be honorable, I'm just thinking how I would feel in their shoes. I'll just eat the shipping and insurance to Florida.

I'm going to give it a few more days... it may just be from sitting around for months that it's a bit sticky, or cold or whatever.

11. mjb Dec 2, 2019

Yes. I did try to avoid over-winding it. About 60 turns.

Off and reset.
    Sure. Took them just now, the first one is while it was running, and then when I went to put it back on, it stopped. Actually, pics are backwards... stopped one first.

20191202_145252.jpg 20191202_145135.jpg

12. stevec14 Dec 2, 2019

60 turns is too many isn’t it?(not your fault). Mine does approx 35 prior to the tension kicking in.

13. gbesq Dec 2, 2019

While I wouldn’t have Joma - or any other grey market dealer - service any of my Omegas, it’s not accurate to say the savings from buying grey isn’t enough to cover the cost of an Omega service. Joma for example, is currently selling the DSOTM Apollo 8 for $8,850 USD, which is a discount of $950. That’s enough savings to pay for Omega’s $750 full chronograph service. Many other Omega models are much more heavily discounted, often by several thousand dollars.

Edited Dec 2, 2019
    bucksandreds, 64Wing and larryganz like this.
  14. mjb Dec 2, 2019

My turns are like half turns, go forward, then back, forward, back. On my other speedy, a day's wearing is about 60 turns, if it's fully wound-down it's nearly 100.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 2, 2019

Here's the problem:

1869 Loose screw.jpg
    Screw floating around at A, should be in hole at B.

Easily fixed, and should be covered under warranty.

Cheers, Al

Cadillac, Kmart, phcollard and 43 others like this.
  16. stevec14 Dec 2, 2019

Blimey - I don’t do full turns but struggle ever to get above 40. Anyway, if that’s normal for you and your speedies that’s hopefully one issue out of the way.

17. mjb Dec 2, 2019

I didn't say buying from [any] grey, just buying from them. You can often do better than Joma. I guess I should have been more specific - the Apollo 8 DSOTM is what I got, MSRP is $9750 USD, Joma is $900 off. So your argument does still have merit, but I guess it really depends on the model.

That said, I did much better than that price.

Capture.JPG

18. mjb Dec 2, 2019

Holy smokes, good eye! Thanks for that, I feel better knowing what the issue is. I'll send it off.

How does something like this happen, just bad luck?

19. stevec14 Dec 2, 2019

What a great spot! That’s why this forum is one of the best IMO

Cadillac, amiriqbal, ama98 and 3 others like this.
  20. gbesq Dec 2, 2019

Yes, with this particular watch you make a valid point and I agree.

mjb likes this.