Forums Latest Members
  1. Taybharr Oct 16, 2019

Hello all,

Been researching and digging into the Vintage Movado M90/M95 chronographs of late and have stumbled across an M90 that appears to be in very good condition. This one is available from a dealer, and I am considering purchasing. The case looks very nice, and the case design appears correct for the reference. My main concern is with the dial, which has a 'freshness' to it that I find surprising for a watch of this age. I have studied the dial and can't find any red flags. The font is sharp and consistent and the sub dials appear correct in relation to other examples I have studied...am i missing something?

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 10.15.50 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 10.16.23 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 10.16.53 PM.png

durri70 and JacksonPollock like this.
  2. Taybharr Oct 23, 2019

Just giving this thread a nudge as I would like the viewpoint of someone more knowledgeable than me

3. thelinendial Oct 23, 2019

I'm not an expert but also been saving up for the right M90. I don't see anything wrong either in consistency.

As with all purchases, it's also the seller you'd be buying into and if the price is too low that'd be a flag.

Likely already considered, but use a reliable Credit Card even if this is from Chrono24 (per the watermark), check it as soon as it arrives as the Escrow I've read may not fully protect you right if across different countries.

rfordo likes this.
  4. rfordo Oct 24, 2019

I'd echo the above on buying a reliable seller.

Also, if the dial is your worry, the case condition is telling me the dial should be crisp. I think they match.

Here is a very similar dial on a M95. This one is not mine, just including as a reference of a known correct example from the era.
    [​IMG]

durri70, Graf Lagunovi and Joe_A like this.
  5. Taybharr Oct 24, 2019

I have never dealt with the seller directly, but I have seen other watches of theirs featured on Bring a Loupe. Pretty anecdotal, but that is the only example I have of attestation to their credibility. I believe the above watch is being offered by Vision Vintage? I looked at that one as well but thought the lugs looked overpolished.

6. rfordo Oct 24, 2019

Yes it is being offered by Vision Vintage, lugs may be soft I was offering it as an example to compare dials with. I am more familiar with how a M95 dial should look no matter the variation, the Vision example looks correct to me.

7. Taybharr Oct 24, 2019

My next question is about the hands...should the minute hand extend to the minute track? The watch below is a ref. 9033, whereas the above watch is a 9023. I have not been able to find another 9023 on the web.
    05_11_2016_000002950-8-1024x592.jpg

8. Oku Oct 24, 2019

First of all, these Movados are really nice watches, very solid and look awsome in the flesh.
    The seller is "Cars and Watches" if I am correct. He often has very nice watches, I have seen his watches on a watch fair recently (but unfortunately not the Movado). But his prices are not so nice. Imho, the watch is overpriced.

The case is polished. An unpolished case should look like this (not my watch):
    IMG_0835.jpeg

I think you are right with your concerns, not because of the dial's freshness which could be possible. But the font is a bit thick and not so sharp and not so good looking like on the example above or the one @Taybharr or @rfordo posted. Also, 30 seconds marker and 120km marker are not properly aligned.

Definitely!

Personally, I would prefer the other one on chrono24:
    https://www.chrono24.com/movado/1950s-18kt-pg-m90-oversize--chronograph-stepped-lugs--id9154454.htm
    9154454_xxl.jpg

9. Taybharr Oct 24, 2019

You are correct that the seller is Cars and Watches. Very good eye on the 30s and 120 of the tachy not being aligned...I completely missed that. This is why I asked the wise folks of OF! I could have bought that watch and noticed it a week later. Once you see that, you can't unsee it. In terms of price, what dealer doesn't ask too high of price? Thankfully, these things are negotiable ;)

I looked at that one as well, but wasn't too keen on the bubbling of the dial that is occurring. Do you know how much they are asking for it? The other watch I posted above is for sale as well for 4000 EUR.

In terms of the lugs on the C&W watch, I knew the lugs were polished but I still considered them to be "good" condition for a watch of its age. For an example of what "PERFECT" lugs look like, please consult the following watch that was for sale by Mim and Croket a while ago. I believe this watch sold VERY quickly.

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 10.24.02 PM.png

durri70 likes this.
  10. Taybharr Oct 24, 2019

Also, on the hands on the original C&W watch, it seems like it could be appropriate for them to end at the applied marker? Hard to tell as so few examples available on the web

11. JacksonPollock Nov 1, 2019

FWIW, it's entirely possible for a watch to still be honest and in this condition. I have an m95 that sat in a safe deposit box for 20 years and it feels very fresh compared to other "Mint" examples. It has an impressive color just like this one. The logo is very bold but looking at other examples, this seems to be the case for dials with "fab Suisse". It seems there is a different font when there is another text("Fab Suisse" or retailer signed).

Also, there is a SS case on eBay that would pair well with this. Just a suggestion :)

12. Taybharr Nov 2, 2019

Without a doubt, but it seems appropriate when a piece is advertised as very good condition (with a corresponding price) to exercise additional caution.

It just doesn't seem right to nonchalantly mention this without pictures....

thelinendial likes this.
  13. JwRosenthal Nov 2, 2019

My concern would be the dial finish and subdials lacking snailing- every other example above, including the other white (not silver) dial has the eggshell/sateen sheen and snailing. I would want to see many alternative examples with the flat white finish and no snailing to believe it is not a redial.

oinkitt likes this.
  14. Taybharr Nov 2, 2019

Based on the misalignment of the minute and tachy tracks as pointed out by @Oku, I'm leaning toward it being refinished. Although I think it is a pretty solid redial if it is one

JwRosenthal likes this.
  15. oinkitt Nov 3, 2019

Me no likey the dial...!!!

16. ucsbgsmith Nov 3, 2019

Keep in mind there are two types of dials on the M95s. The earlier, more valuable type has the smaller sub dials. The later more common type has the larger sub dials.
    Look at the space between the sub dials. I have never seen an early, small sub dial Movado chronograph without a heavy patina.

17. JacksonPollock Nov 8, 2019

Here's an example of a very fresh dial

movado-triple-date-ruby-men_360_619abaafc3f6832c7d7b59f6768f11ba.jpg
    durri70 likes this.
  18. durri70 Nov 8, 2019

Nice watch, may I ask you favor ? Can you make a pic from it side so I can see the shape of the plexiglass. I know is not related to the subject of this thread , may be you can send by PM.,thanks

19. JacksonPollock Nov 8, 2019

I found this on Worthpoint.com. Sold for $2,050 in 2015. Here's the link

20. Oku Nov 8, 2019

which I believe to be freshly redialed.

Taybharr and Dan S like this.