Forums Latest Members

MoonSwatch “Mission to Moonshine Gold”

1. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Aug 6, 2023

Perhaps we could Crowdfund @sheepdoll to implant a ‘proper’ movement then? She doesn’t seem short of replacements.;)

studeb likes this.
  2. sheepdoll Aug 6, 2023

I recently figured out the 'native' protocol for the laser cutter I have access to. Still think it might be interesting to make a virtual model of a Landeron-48. I still think the CAD program I got in the 1990s was used to design the Tissot PR-100 autoquartz. (still need to write that one up.)

When attempting to 'franken' one chrono to another. The devil is in the details. The pusher angles never align.

Still find it interesting that there are a dearth of Landeron 48/51 cases. On the other hand Val-23 cases seem to show up often.

The cheap modern goodwill chronos often have fake pushers.

My friend and mentor John grass made parts for one of the 19701/1980s era plastic geared watches. Sunco or something like that. He did have one and I think the only other one I saw was in La Chaux de Fonds museum. Have not yet dissembled any of the GW chronos to see if they use plastic (Injection die cast) gears. Clocks of course do.

Interesting enough, I looked into injection cast pipe organ parts 23 or so years back. There is a company Ragtime-west what makes plastic player pianos. I just took a motor out of one to see I I could adapt it to a Wurlitzer residence frame. The glue (usually acetone welding) makes it impossible to repair such devices.

Have the moon swatches been around long enough for them to start showing issues? There are still plenty of them being flipped on eBay. Mostly I see the Venus ones as that is a common search term (As I need a Venus 206 case. The Venus 203 was too small and I had to return it.)

I have not yet seen any defunct moon swatches on the 'parts' searches. Moon swatches have also not shown up on GW for under 20 bucks like the Apple smart watches.

Guess they need to bake a bit longer in the oven of time, before that happens.

p4ul likes this.
  3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 6, 2023

With due respect, I’m not really worried about the movement breaking. The plastic case on the other hand is another matter.

p4ul likes this.
  4. Evitzee Aug 6, 2023

It's too early for the MoonSwatches to start failing. At about five years some will start giving up the ghost, others will run longer, some even shorter. Just depends. They aren't a long term item, that's the business model of Swatch, introduce new models every six months and the older ones will get tossed in a drawer in favor of a newer model. A quartz Swatch is generally considered unrepairable because there is no good way to get into them, the plastic crystal is ultrasonically welded to the plastic case making it a one piece unit. A seam no longer exists between the crystal and case.

Edited Aug 6, 2023
  5. sheepdoll Aug 6, 2023

I keep my swatches in there boxex.

I do have a mechanical autmatic eta swatch. I had that one cleaned. So there is a way for some to be maintaned. But yes the electronic ones are molded shut.

Moon swatches are outside my current budget. Costing about the same as a Val-72 balance complete or a empty 2577 stainless case.

And I keep buying 35 dollar projects, well because I can. And I like the rush of the bidding process. "How low can you go." (which reminds me of the barbie scene in Toy Story 2)

6. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Aug 6, 2023

I am shocked, Bioceramic if you please!:whistling:

sheepdoll likes this.
  7. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Aug 7, 2023

August 2023 is here... meaning we'll have two full Moons in one month, making the August 30th full Moon a Blue Moon !
    Moreover " Super Moons " according to the general press :D
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_moon

Aroxx and itsjustausername like this.
  8. spacemission Aug 25, 2023

I've woken up happy.

9. Arunski Aug 26, 2023

The Swiss national Day 1st August version was ok-ish
    I would guess next is a blue second dial? After all it’s a blue moon right?

10. jaegodylan Aug 31, 2023

Syrte and Arunski like this.
  11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 2, 2023

12. Arunski Sep 2, 2023

Any predictions for 09.09.2023

IMG_1630.jpeg
  13. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 2, 2023