Forums Latest Members

MoonSwatch “Mission to Moonshine Gold”

1. kilofinal Mar 5, 2023

I guess it was just a matter of......time.

upload_2023-3-5_13-31-7.png

HaniWylde and Dsloan like this.
  2. marcn Enough space to say witty Mar 5, 2023

Cue the mob with the pitchforks and torches.
    ::popcorn::

3. joeshoup Mar 5, 2023

I can already hear the gnashing of teeth if this turns out to be a solid gold Swatch :eek:

Fish70, Caliber561, Seaborg and 4 others like this.
  4. eldiano84 Mar 5, 2023

Stay tuned for more watches I can't get lol

5. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 5, 2023

What do you mean? A solid gold case encapsulating a 5 buck 2 jewel movement sounds like a marvelous idea :rolleyes:

6. Evitzee Mar 5, 2023

Swatch sold a solid platinum model back in the 1990s, the Tresor Magique.....$1,618 at the time. Nothing would surprise me.

SwatchTresorMagique.jpg
    Fish70, BlueBoy, eldiano84 and 7 others like this.
  7. ErichPryde Mar 5, 2023

Hey man, I heard those 1980s gold seikos were back in vogue

kilofinal and joeshoup like this.
  8. pdxleaf ... Mar 5, 2023

"Mission to your Pocket"

SpeedyPhill, Matty01, Syrte and 7 others like this.
  9. Vogelphoenix Mar 5, 2023

I'm curious, maybe even excited. We'll see how far they push the artificial rarity game with this one.

kilofinal likes this.
  10. kilofinal Mar 5, 2023

wait for the Ed White and Snoopy versions

11. Duckie Mar 5, 2023

In our immediate family we've been saying the world is going to hell in a handbasket for quite some time.
    This makes it absolutely conclusive. In my mind anyway:thumbsdown:

PhilF, ErichPryde and kilofinal like this.
  12. kilofinal Mar 5, 2023

The bean counters at Swatch group are rubbing their hands thinking of future iterations, They must have made at least $200 million profit on the first 1 million moon swatches they sold out of globally.

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  13. ErichPryde Mar 5, 2023

I'll probably never own something like an Apollo XIII Snoopy, and I'm ok with that.
    I also wouldn't want a cheap knock-off or homage in its place for 1/30th the cost.

Poppyboy and WestCoastTime like this.
  14. Pastorbottle Mar 5, 2023

What they actually sold some? As opposed to tried to sell them.
    My take is had it been a profitable venture for them, there’d ‘be been more high priced limited edition swatches since.

As for mission to moonshine gold….
    Have they got a still hidden in the hills?
    Are they makin moonshine?
    Should be mission to take all the ill gotten gains to the bank!

Edited Mar 5, 2023
  15. rob#1 Mar 5, 2023

I think ‘Mission to Moonshine Gold’ could be an internal Swatch marketing term that just refers to the squillions Swatch has made from these cheap quartz watches.

The big question remains though - will anyone actually be able to buy this new variant if they want to? I mean, actually walk in, ask for one, and leave the store with it? spent a few weeks in London recently and played the game of Check The Swatch Boutique for a few days. It was an interesting experience which made me wonder if any customers ever actually bought other Swatches in those shops, as every single person I saw in the two shops asked only for the MoonSwatches. The hype they’re being given by trendy magazines, etc. (GQ, below; Yuki Tsunoda in F1) does mean that non-‘traditional’ watch wearers are (trying to) buy them so that they can be seen to be hip, so I guess they’ve attracted a clientele they wouldn’t have before which can only be good for the bottom line. I gave up in the end as I had better things to do :)

B2FA435C-E178-49A2-9486-E939E56E749F.jpeg

16. Watch my Whisky Mar 5, 2023

You have to have bought the whole collection and be on good terms with your local Swatch AD.

Dsloan, MtnMarine and Graemega like this.
  17. Duckie Mar 5, 2023

Lord, when one thinks of it in those terms, it's a classic case of LTPM(licence to print money).
    And easy money at that:eek:

Thinking more broadly, I hope it doesn't develop into some kind of cult thingy which ultimately will burn out and take wristwatches out with them for no particularly good reason because people will be over it all completely as a bad joke.
    Which will be upsetting to me because I simply enjoy using a good wristwatch(at almost any price point) to tell the time.

Incidentally, I enjoyed picking a watch up from service today which turned around in record time given the Xmas break and all. Try enjoy a good servicing on a Swatchwatch:(
    I also went to the bank to do some business while out and was waiting in a rather long queue and the lovely young lady in front of me was doing something on her phone whilst waiting. She was keeping tabs on progress with her nice wristwatch which was obviously nicer than any Swatch watch I have ever seen, regardless of its brand.
    I must say, it was a heart warming sight to still see them taken advantage of for simplicity and convenience:)

Perhaps it's all a move to take Swatch more upmarket on the coat tails of the Moonwatch:thumbsdown:

Edited Mar 5, 2023
  18. VickMacky Mar 5, 2023

So, another color that’s never available lol.
    Thankfully I own the real deal.

PhilF and ErichPryde like this.
  19. ErichPryde Mar 5, 2023

The quartz renaissance/crisis didn't put an end to fancy mechanical watches- I doubt this latest teamup with Swatch will either. What it MAY do, is help drive interest in the crossover-less Omegas. who knows.

You know... may not be bad to help drive business for Omega, either. I'd be curious to see some internal numbers on this, but being able to get an "affordable" Omega for some may assist them in making the decision to get a more expensive piece later.

joeshoup likes this.
  20. Evitzee Mar 6, 2023

12,999 pieces in the edition, they were in great demand. Swatch mania was huge in the early 90's, bigger than it was for the Moonswatch gimmick of last year.

eldiano84 and Omegafanman like this.