Forums Latest Members
  1. kox Mar 15, 2017

Well, serial match the range 27.50x., seen on "many" 70 stamped RN300's, so properly ok in regards to movement being delivered to MoD or GoldSmith.
    But I have a little issue with the caseback being a HF produced one (and the original reference no. crossed out also). I don't think I've ever seen a correct RN300 with a caseback that wasn't a CB produced one. Correct caseback inside markings pictured below.
    And yes, again, these saw a lot of action and parts were exchanged heavily during service, but to me, a non CB caseback would lower the value. Not as much as a missing T dial etc, but still.

$(KGrHqQOKioE3GpWYc9zBN1pUnby7w~~_3[1].jpg

2. RJwatches Mar 15, 2017

100% sure that the new owner does not want the bracelet ;)

3. watchlovr Mar 15, 2017

That is the remains of the rubber gasket, shows it has not been opened recently and by recently I mean 15 years +

4. omegaman Mar 15, 2017

Well... it is correct that most MoD SM300 have CB casebacks, but regardless if Army or Navy issued. However, not all of them. Here we have three nice examples, all RN SM300 with HF casebacks, two even have exactly the same crossed out and re-engraved reference.

0552 HF.jpg
    Source: put together from the MWR Forum and other sources I can't remember

TNTwatch likes this.
  5. omegaman Mar 15, 2017

Back to the bespoken watch:

-Caseback looks 100% authentic to me, outer and inner side
    -Movement serial number is in the correct range for a 1969 production and 69 or 70 year of issue
    -Tell your watchmaker to remove that bracelet. Beside it's totally ugly it does not belong to that watch reference. And we have to see the (hopefully fixed) bars to get an opinion about the case itself. Could still be a put-together watch

6. Miss watch Mar 29, 2017

Hi All I have some more info on the watch. I put the enquiry out to Christies and also Omega (to check the serial numbers etc.. and any records). Unfortunately I didn't hear back from Omega, but I had a reply back from Christies. They checked out the serial numbers with Omega, ( they obviously had more gravitas with Omega than myself). The watch was originally issued to the Navy, they also commented that the dial was a non military dial. I did manage to speak to the customer and was able to get more background on the history. It turns out to be her late fathers who did consultation work for the Navy in the 60's and he travelled around the World with them, she has no box or supporting documents with it and it was just slung in a drawer un discovered. Christies did comment that prospectively they would look at putting this up for sale with a reserve of £15,000.00 to £25,000.00.
    I would value any more comments on this one now we know more from Omega, especially on value. I need to prospectively put a value on the watch for insurance purposes.

Thank you all!!

7. watchlovr Mar 29, 2017

Good news.
    Without the T dial I think the above estimate is about right for an auction, remember the seller will not receive the full auction amount.
    For Insurance maybe £30k-£35k?

Mine has a T dial and is in great condition, I think it is £50k for insurance.
    (This might need reviewed this year)
    Edit, mine's at £20k for insurance, deffo needs reviewed!

Why not ask Christies for an Insurance estimate rather than auction estimate?

Edited Mar 30, 2017
  8. Miss watch Mar 29, 2017

Thanks watchlovr! I was tetering aroung £35,000. Just going to look at some more hammer prices. Lovely watch!
    J

9. Dash1 Mar 29, 2017

It would be worth paying for the Omega archive extract which should show the RN connection and adds value.

Syrte and omegaman like this.
  10. omegaman Mar 29, 2017

Good to hear :thumbsup:

And as Ash said, an 'Extract of the archives' will increase the value, even significantly when it shows "...delivered to the Royal Navy...". And don't forget to remove that wrong bracelet, the fixed bars must be visible. We still haven't seen them so far.

11. Sculler22 Mar 29, 2017

All of the above is very sound advice.

12. Miss watch Mar 30, 2017

~thanks everyone I will advise our client, I think paying for the military records is a very good idea and fitting with a nice Nato strap, and new seal would work a treat.
    all the best XX

Dash1 likes this.
  13. IanP Oct 15, 2017

Hi all, very interesting thread. I am completely new to the form and would like some advice. The SM I have here does not possess the fixed bars but everything else seems to correspond as in the serials number inside etc. Also need to have the hands restored/replaced. Any advice would be welcomed, thanks.

IMG_0650.JPG IMG_0651.JPG
  14. SgWatchBaron Oct 15, 2017

Refinished Dial... caseback might be correct. 50/50. I might be wrong...

IanP likes this.
  15. IanP Oct 15, 2017

Yes I was told the dial was refinished by Omega about 8 years ago. How do I go about the military records search, any idea?

16. SgWatchBaron Oct 15, 2017

Request an extract from the archives.

Dash1 and IanP like this.
  17. IanP Oct 15, 2017

Ah okay, many thanks!

18. Dash1 Oct 15, 2017

Yes definitely worth it in this instance.

IanP likes this.
  19. IanP Oct 15, 2017

I totally agree!

20. gt40mk1 Oct 15, 2017

hi, i have just joined as i saw your photos.... i have a military issue seamaster 300 and the back is plain with the numbers engraved on it... i dont think they have the normal back markings.... mine doesnt have the " T " on the dial either... i have owned mine since 1973 so im pretty sure its genuine.

maximilian g and IanP like this.