Forums Latest Members
  1. Miss watch Mar 8, 2017

Hi all,
    I am new to the forum. Just looking for some advice on military watches, I am a jewellery valuer and we get vintage watches in from time to time.
    [​IMG]Our customer had this given to her by her uncle who was in the forces, that's all the provenance we know. I am a little nervous about this watch as I know they can command massive premiums.
    Markings on the back:
    0552/923 7697 A/658/70, with the arrow markings. Photo to follow. The engraving looks a little crude I am just wondering whether someone has just engraved this on the back to make it look like a military issue to raise the value? I was following a thread from last year which was discussing Christies write up of the non date SM 300 being only issued for military, I think the conclusion was reached that some were also made for civilian use. I am just concerned that this may be a civi watch which has just been engraved? Also the calibre number is 525? (I will check this with our watch maker), whereas 552 seems to be the calibre of this model.
    any advice or help with replacement value greatly appreciated.

Jo

sean riley likes this.
  2. WatchmakerTheory Mar 8, 2017

Picture isn't showing up, could you attach with the "add photos" button or try again?

3. ConElPueblo Mar 8, 2017

Hi Jo.

I am sure that members will be interested in knowing more about the watch and helping you out, but the picture needs to be uploaded again.
    Also, I am certain that pictures of the case back and crown side will be appreciated.

4. Miss watch Mar 8, 2017

5. Miss watch Mar 8, 2017

Sorry guys technical error!
    thanks for quick response.
    Jo

6. Miss watch Mar 8, 2017

7. Miss watch Mar 8, 2017

Crown view
    Jo

8. watchlovr Mar 8, 2017

Is there a T with circle on the dial?
    The hands are obscuring where it might be (immediately above or below the centre post)

9. Fost Mar 8, 2017

i think there is no T.

10. Miss watch Mar 8, 2017

definitely no T, in a circle. Is that significant?
    there is the small writing just below the 6 "T SWISS MADE T".
    thanks jo

11. watchlovr Mar 8, 2017

Ok, I'll have a go.

Firstly, I can't decide, photos are not good enough to give an opinion one way or another.
    We need the bracelet removed to check the fixed bars, need the movement cal verified and the movement number.
    Need better photos in natural light.

Postive points;
    Dial, case, back bezel and hands look genuine Omega
    MOD engravings look ok as far as I can see
    Bezel is correct for MIL SM300

Negative points;
    NO T on the dial
    Should deffo be cal 552 (needs checking)
    Omega engravings on back look too shallow and look laser cut instead of engraved
    Crown should be screw down
    Cannot see any pinholes at 12 and 6, these are very obvious in 1970 BT dials

Mark020, omegaman and SgWatchBaron like this.
  12. Miss watch Mar 8, 2017

Thank you!
    We are going to send this back to our watchmaker to have the back removed again to check the calibre and serial. I can confirm that the crown is not screw down, and that there are no pin holes on the dial.
    Definitely fixed stainless bars.
    jo

13. Miss watch Mar 8, 2017

do you think it has been messed with? I would just like to comment that the engraving on the back looks as if it has been burred on with small circular markings if that makes sense?
    J

14. watchlovr Mar 8, 2017

That sounds correct.
    Here is an better photographed example, check the tail on the first "2"
    36146425.jpg

Edited Mar 15, 2017
  15. Miss watch Mar 8, 2017

lovely pic!, yes I can see there are some circular markings. I will need to get back to you with the confirmation of the calibre and serial number etc.. and I should have a pic of the inside of the case and movement. Bit concerned that the crown is not screw down........ and no T on the dial.

thanks for your help..
    J

16. Vitezi Mar 8, 2017

I believe the pinholes being referred to are located in the yellowish lume at 12 and 6. However, they can be hard to see, and not every dial has them. The pinholes can be seen in this example:
    [​IMG]

Omegist and SgWatchBaron like this.
  17. Zuke Mar 8, 2017

Mil Spec had fixed spring bars

18. Miss watch Mar 8, 2017

Thanks, I am learning, attention to detail is the key.

19. Vicke Mar 8, 2017

No, it did not ;)

w154 likes this.
  20. Zuke Mar 8, 2017

As far as I'm aware all Mil Spec had fixed bars as per their specs set out by the British Forces. I could be wrong but I've never seen a legit example without them.

The Military Seamaster 300 was manufactured for the British Forces under strict guidelines given by the Ministry of Defense. The official document includes the specifications of the solid bars for the attachment of a NATO style canvas strap, the bezel with minute register for the full 60 seconds, Tritium luminous paint applied to the hands and dial symbolised by a T in a circle on the latter and oversize hands for clear legibility

Maybe other members can help as I'd like to confirm this.

J