Forums Latest Members

Lovely 2998-3 with sub-1k gbp estimate - speedyguess

1. Amaza May 12, 2017

I didn't found this one commented anywhere, but it must not be unkown to many of you, given the 120 watchers on e-saleroom.

I am not really into the details of 2998 references, since I just started collecting speedmasters and these are usually out of my budget.

This one looks to me a very honest example of 2993-3 with attractive oval-O dial, nice case and hands and a one owner pedigree that collectors will love...

I find funny the estimate, which does not even cover the value of the hands probably. Do you think it is some kind of strategy? I'd like to see the owner face assisting at the auction if he is really not aware of the value.

What are your thoughts?

Let's see who get closer to the final value! What 's your educated guess?

https://www.eastbourneauction.com/c...tique-sale-lot-1041/?d&searchTerm=speedmaster

Edited May 12, 2017
    michael22 and davten like this.
  2. bokbok May 12, 2017

Wow !! Estimate is laughable

3. Amaza May 12, 2017

I am thinking that to make the game more interesting you may send your guess to me or some well reputed member/moderatot in PM. After the auction I/he may uncover the closest guess. ;D

BTW estimate should be all premium/taxes included.

4. bokbok May 12, 2017

I am in UK so might bid on the watch [emoji23]

5. Amaza May 12, 2017

I was wondering if people would think I may try to get some advantage. But in the end you can also give a much lower estimate, you don't win the game but you remains undercover if you want to bid on the watch! :DD

6. w154 May 12, 2017

Whilst in this case it is clearly listed and easily searchable on various auction house aggregators, I still think that these listings shouldn’t be highlighted in threads whilst still live. If the OP is planning on being a serious bidder and wishes to seek advice, then maybe start a thread with some downloaded photos but no links to the actual auction. But if the OP is only an observer then surely better to leave it alone until after it has sold. There will certainly be interested parties on here, and those who put in the hours to search auction houses and aggregators on a frequent basis should keep their benefit of limited competition. Just my 2 cents…

7. smitty190373 May 12, 2017

Agree....

8. arcadelt May 12, 2017

I don't agree.

michael22 and Mark020 like this.
  9. smitty190373 May 12, 2017

Are you planning on bidding?

10. bokbok May 12, 2017

I don't agree either. OP should not put on a Omega forum link to the listing. as folk especially in UK might try bid on the watch!!

11. w154 May 12, 2017

Can you explain why not ?

I don't mean that in a funny way, but I can't see a good reason for threads like this where the OP has no interest to buy.

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 12, 2017

Because people are interested in a watch that's coming up for sale and have a right to discuss it and any flaws or issues it may have, if you want a sanitized environment where the mere mention of price is taboo try timezone.

The notion that it's some great secret is rather silly, 2998 auctions don't go unobserved by the collector community anymore but having them out there in public being discussed goes a ways to stopping novices from buying frankens and lemons when they appear.

13. tyrantlizardrex May 12, 2017

This could be an interesting one - it's in person/telephone bids only isn't it?

R3D9 likes this.
  14. jimmyd13 May 12, 2017

Just made a call to the auction house who have revised their estimate to £10,000+. Frankly, I think that's optimistic but probably reflects a commission bid they've received.

We can all see the bracelet's later, those pushers look mismatched and the bezel's not the finest. Other than that, it's honest and giving STS £600 would give you back a watch that was correct and leave you looking for a bracelet to put it on.

15. Amaza May 12, 2017

Sorry guys. Maybe I have been incautious. I had already seen watches advertised on OF before the end of the autcion (E.g. https://omegaforums.net/threads/speedmaster-ck-2998-1-base-1000-auction.53287/) and I think it would interesting to spark the discussion. Since this is the only thing I can afford of this watch. :D
    But you may be right in saying that if you have interest in buy/selling it it makes more sense to do it.

16. arcadelt May 12, 2017

@dsio has explained it pretty well, and this thread is one reason why

https://omegaforums.net/threads/recommended-vintage-omega-watches-on-ebay-not-inquiries.1790/

Not all collectors have the same advantage as others in the collecting game. Some have an advantage because of where they live, - I do not, so I seek advantages wherever I can get them, and this community is one resource that levels the playing field (quiet a lot actually). Happy to discuss the philosophy of this till the cows come home, but that may suffice for you as answer on its own.

Edited May 12, 2017
    michael22 and dialstatic like this.
  17. speedamatuer May 12, 2017

Also worth noting that this watch has already been posted in the recommended vintage omegas thread here.

BenBagbag and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  18. arcadelt May 12, 2017

It seems you can register to bid online.

19. tyrantlizardrex May 12, 2017

Ahh - that's been changed then, when I looked last week, it was listed as catalogue bids only (phone/in person/commission).

I suspect this one will fly...

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 12, 2017

Still amazes me that in 2017 there are still phone/in person bid only auction houses still in business but we have two here in Australia too.

Gstp and tyrantlizardrex like this.