Forums Latest Members
  1. GaultDarkbrow May 2, 2020

I have had an appreciation for watches for many years and have a small collection of what I would characterize as inexpensive watches. I have a 2 Seiko, 3 Citizen, a Bulova, an Orient, and a Hamilton. Most are automatic, but 2 of the Citizen are Eco-Drive and one of the Seiko watches is a solar diver. I also have a triple sensor Casio for outdoor activities. Last, but not least, I have a 1950s era Elgin B.W. Raymond pocket watch. I am not in the habit of flipping watches; I tend to buy what I want and keep it. Most of my watches I have had for over 10 years, some approaching 20.

I have long had the hope of purchasing an Omega, but have not been able to talk myself into the cost. I am approaching my 25th wedding anniversary and I have decided that now is the time for what is likely to be my final watch purchase. I simply will not have the interest in becoming a collector of Omega watches, but I am here looking for information and advice on a purchase.

I read information from OF for a few months before even registering, and still find myself reading a ton. I am grateful for the resource and have deep respect for the years of experience the forum represents.

My reason for looking at a vintage Omega is I want a watch from the era when Omega still made their movements in house. I perceive that it was something of a golden age for Omega watch making and I would like a specimen from that era. I have settled on a watch from the 1960s for not concrete reason, only that it looks like an era of great movements and style.

I originally thought to look at a Constellation if for no other reason than they were the top of the line and they were chronometer certified. I have since shifted from that thought simply because I recognize that there may be better value away from the Constellation line. That said, I would not refuse a Constellation if I could find one I want.

My current thought is a Seamaster De Ville monocoque model, something like a 168.010 with a 613 movement. I love the simple elegance of the 168.010 Seamaster De Ville and would like something along those lines. I like the idea of a manual wind watch simply because it fits the style and era. I would not be against an automatic, but I would choose the manual wind over an automatic if all else was the same. I am certain I want one with a date window and quickset.

My other thoughts may take me far away from the perspective of the true Omega collector; my desires for the watch are far more utilitarian. I want to wear the watch frequently, perhaps more than the others combined. I also want the watch to look mint. Recognizing that the watch will be 50-60 years old, I accept that I may be looking at a watch that has been refinished/restored or otherwise altered in such a way as to eliminate it from being a true collector’s specimen. I am ok with this, realizing there are large numbers of watches are out there and someone will likely cater to users like myself. I am also not dead set on a watch that is perfectly correct on parts, though something that is correct would be preferred. I would select a watch in better condition with not exactly correct parts over a collector’s specimen in worse condition.

I am perfectly willing to even purchase a model that is a project that needs work.

Any thoughts or observations on my journey are welcome.

2. Dan S May 2, 2020

Until I got to the last paragraph, I was going to suggest that you keep an eye on the Private Sales forum, but there are only a few sellers that list watches like that on OF. There are some dealers who sell restored watches, and several eBay sellers, and we normally shun them and steer people away from them.

I guess I would ask why you want a watch from the 60s if you care so much about it looking mint and you don't care if it's original. I would actually recommend that you consider some of the excellent heritage re-issues of vintage watches, e.g. the Seamaster 1948 re-issue. They have a very similar look as a vintage watch, but are brand new, and have the newest technology. You can buy them with full confidence from a dealer with a manufacturer's warranty.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watches/seamaster/seamaster-1948/product

[​IMG]

thelinendial, nicks, DaveK and 4 others like this.
  3. Annapolis May 2, 2020

From the sounds of it, you will want a watch that has been serviced recently—with actual proof of that (see the recent thread on that subject); otherwise you’ll want to be sure to factor in the cost of a service (to the tune of a few hundred bucks and probably more than a month out of your hands), since functionality is one of your top priorities.

Good luck! I don’t think it’ll be terribly hard to find what you want. (Others night weigh in on specific suggestions for models and years.)

wilderbeast likes this.
  4. ConElPueblo May 2, 2020

What Dan said.

Also, you really need to include a budget in your post. Some people have weird expectations about how much a good vintage watch can cost, often from looking at overpriced dealers' shops.

I can't help but smile a bit about your thoughts on finding a Seamaster De Ville. I always say that this watch attracts new enthusiasts (often people looking to buy just a single, vintage watch) like nothing else - happy to once again see that I am right :D

Anyway, there are loads of very fine Seamaster De Villes and the like about, so finding a good one shouldn't be too difficult Our member @Shabbaz is the first I think of when looking for someone clued up on this sort of watch; hopefully he'll join in? :)

DaveK and wilderbeast like this.
  5. wilderbeast May 2, 2020

Hello and welcome! Your introduction is very comprehensive, but what would be useful is an idea of your budget. That will really help members to work out which references might be suitable for your needs.

1960s Seamasters are quite plentiful and won’t break the bank - though most by this time will be automatics. I have a restored 1956 Seamaster that has manual wind cal 420 and I love its simplicity and elegance. I only show it because you’ve stated that you wouldn’t be against a redial/restored example and are looking for a daily wearer:

3A040B8F-6515-42B1-905C-43105ED119E9.jpeg 9837E8D1-1CE7-4FF2-8B38-E016900EC383.jpeg

But I also have an original C-case Constellation from c.1970 and I love the style of this, even if it might not be to your taste. They can be had for a little less than other Constellation models and are really excellent watches:

0814F7C2-0637-4FA2-95C1-6AB21739FF53.png 6C6275B6-6549-4698-A273-FF828A6620E7.jpeg

My C-case has the automatic cal 564, one of Omega's finest movements, IMO.

I love both pieces for their versatility and clean design - both can be dressy or casual and are understated and classy in their own way.

My Seamaster was bought at a premium from a dealer; the C-case from the Private Sales here. Don’t forget to factor in a service into your budget and happy hunting!

EDIT: I see others have weighed in since posting, and the advice there is excellent. I can only echo it. :)

thelinendial likes this.
  6. GaultDarkbrow May 2, 2020

Thank you all for your quick advice. I realized that I made an initial mistake on the model I noted, but I am sure that was immediately caught. I meant to say 138.010 as an example of what I like.

Excellent advice. My only real challenge is they are a bit more than my budget would allow and I am really dead set on a date window.

I read those posts on service and realized that I was thinking along the same lines. Thank you for confirming that I am at least thinking correctly.

Thank you for the reminder about budget. I am looking at a total budget of about $1500-$2000. I know I saw a recent sale of what I would like for around $900. If it was for sale today I would likely be negotiating terms as we speak. I see one for sale now for around $500, but I see some minor blemishes on the hands and I really am not sure if it is realistic to approach it with the thought of doing something that would make a collector faint.

I am glad to know that I could become another data point to your theory. :)

ConElPueblo likes this.
  7. DON May 2, 2020

I still don't understand these comments.

Some people want a vintage watch that looks like it just came out of the factory. Not all restorers are hacks doing crap jobs. I did restoration for years and sold just about every watch I redid.

I didn't sell to collectors because they weren't my target customer

I take a watch like this

[​IMG]

and make this (can't tell, but blued steel hands) - 1 MP camera back then

[​IMG]

Not everybody wants a restored watch, but some do. If your going to the office. Do you want to wear something that looks old and out of place or something that looks suited for the office?

Same people that show disdain would drool over a restored car. Why is one OK and the other not?

If he wants something thats restored. At least try and help him and steer him away from a hack restoration to a good one

DON

JwRosenthal and DaveK like this.
  8. Dan S May 2, 2020

I think you actually understand very well. This is primarily a community of collectors. I'm well aware that there is a large market for restored watches.

Maybe you mean that you don't like my comments. You take them personally, and you are offended. My apologies, I was just expressing my own opinion about the watches that I choose to collect.

9. GaultDarkbrow May 2, 2020

Thank you for sharing, those are beautiful watches.

I am not against a C-case per se, I have even looked at a few of them. My secondary choice would be a C-case with a 564 and a beads of rice bracelet.

wilderbeast likes this.
  10. GaultDarkbrow May 2, 2020

That is some beautiful restoration work. I appreciate the car analogy, I am currently restoring a 1962 Corvair.

I would really appreciate being steered towards a quality Omega restorer.

11. Dan S May 2, 2020

There are tons on eBay, especially from Korea. And various incarnations of the eBay seller vividlily. Refinished dials and shiny cases. Finding restored vintage watches is easy. Then there's the dealer maximilian, who was banned from OF. He has many restored Omegas. I won't post his website here.

Omegaaddict has some, and is more reputable than those others. Actually, he might be the right seller for you, since he also services his watches and they come with a warranty.

Edited May 2, 2020
    DaveK likes this.
  12. MRC May 2, 2020

It's your money and your choice. Ask here if you're not sure about something particularly value-for-money. Everything else is down to taste. Go for whatever floats your boat :thumbsup:

Now to get serious. I see a steel frame, nice but not over-fancy lugwork, centre-pull brakes, cable on top of top-tube. Looks like my Holdsworth, or something of same era.

Did anyone tell you we love photos (and bicycles) here?

And welcome!

13. GaultDarkbrow May 2, 2020

You sir have identified one of my passions.

What you see is one of my projects and my favorite bicycle. It is a one-off build of my own. I built it about 10 years ago.

The frame you see is from a 1982 Diamondback Ridge Runner, the last year the frames were built in Japan. Champion 5 tubing. Completely stripped, powder coated in green, tan on the head tube is hand painted.

I was looking to build something similar to an old Bridgestone XO-1 or Rivendell Atlantis

A 1990s era Bridgestone MB-3 donated the hubs, wheels, and derailleurs, Shimano Ultegra bar end shifters

Crank is a Shimano laser pantographed road triple, Shimano Biopace rings, pedals are Rivendell Grip King pedals

Bars and stem are Nitto (Moustache and forged dirt drop)

Brakes are Dia Compe 986, levers Gran Compe

Saddle is a Brooks semi-pro

Rack is a Civia bicycle, I forget the model

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UJRGsj7Z4Ch6Kbno7

IMG_20200201_125408.jpg
    JwRosenthal, KingCrouchy and MRC like this.
  14. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers May 2, 2020

He posted on IG last week that if you can find a redial on his website you can have it for free.

KingCrouchy and apsm100 like this.
  15. DON May 2, 2020

It's not the comments, but the way some people seem to paint all restorers with the same brush. The guy who did my dials had 40 years experience and all the top vintage dealers used him and some major watch companies for their vintage timepieces yet some have compared him to someone who started a week ago.

Anything done to anything is a restoration. Can't complain about one thing and then do it to something else

Why is it OK to restore a car, but not a watch?

I had one customer that didn't want me to restore an IWC, but then tried to lowball me on the price because it wasn't in excellent condition. Needless to say, but he didn't get the watch.

DON

16. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers May 2, 2020

17. Dan S May 2, 2020

I believe that he discloses his re-dials, so maybe he means an undisclosed re-dial.
    [Edit: I looked on IG and could not find that post. Can you take a screenshot?]

This one for example.
    https://omegaaddict.com/shop?olsPage=products/omega-seamaster-automatic-watch-mens-vintage-number-d113
    "Original Omega Seamaster De Ville men's vintage watch. 34 mm 14k gold over stainless steel case #136.002 has seamonster logo on back. Beautifully restored original dial in black with cross hairs has original applied gold baton hour markers and original gold baton hands."

This one also:
    https://omegaaddict.com/shop?olsPage=products/omega-constellation-turler-automatic-mens-watch-number-e060&page=2
    "Premium restoration in silver on original dial has original applied silver and black onyx baton hour markers and original silver dagger hands."

Also this one:
    https://omegaaddict.com/shop?olsPage=products/omega-constellation-turler-automatic-mens-watch-number-e060-e060&page=2
    "Premium restoration on original dial in black has original applied gold baton hour markers and original gold baton hands."

Etc.

Edited May 2, 2020
    thelinendial likes this.
  18. Dan S May 2, 2020

Nope, no judgement here about restorers, I think that is just some defensiveness on your part. I only said that we generally turn people away from restored watches, and that is because we are collectors, and we are in tune with the vintage watch market. In fact, later in the thread, I told the OP where he could buy restored watches, and I made a distinction between sellers I recommended and those I didn't. So obviously I didn't paint them all with the same brush. Far from it.

Like it or not, the collectible vintage watch market places a premium on originality, and it's different in this respect than the vintage car market. So your opinion about all restoration being equal is just your opinion, and it's not in line with the collectible market.

Anyway, I apologize to the OP for this detour from the topic.

thelinendial likes this.
  19. GaultDarkbrow May 2, 2020

Are his prices considered fair?

20. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers May 2, 2020

I accepted the archival challenge, but after 10 minutes I’ve given up reading all the IG replies, it might have been in his giveaway post from a week or so ago - there are about 1700 replies to that post, so I gave up. I might be misremembering, or he misspoke, likely the intention was “any unstated redial”. Have a happy Saturday