Forums Latest Members

SOLD Fine Vintage MOVADO Tempo-Matic

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 30, 2020

Most seasoned collectors are aware of the great disparity between MOVADO watches produced into the 1960s, and those produced afterwards, as the company radically changed its image. Vintage, pre-70s Movado, were typically of high quality, and often attractive both from a technical and aesthetic perspectives. The company's modular designed chronographs have long been sought after by collectors, but the simpler models have largely flown a bit under the radar, and represent excellent value.

This is a Tempo-Matic dating to around 1966. The model line was a long-running success, and for good reason. These watches were, in my view, roughly on a par with other "mid-high" manufacturers of the day, including Omega. This particular example is in excellent condition throughout, and features some uncommon details that I find to be both attractive and desirable.

The dial is a textured "linen" type, which one doesn't see very often. I once owned an IWC automatic with a similar dial, and when they are well executed, which this one is, they are subtle and elegant. The steel markers are applied, and the discreet tritium dots are fully intact. Please note that the dial will appear brighter (closer to white than silver) in person.

The 34mm steel case is unpolished, and features one of my very favorite case back designs of all of the (many) watches that I have owned. Not only do I really like the 'atomic' design, but the contrasting brushed and polished rings outside of it are an especially nice touch. The "SUB-SEA" on the case back is a reference to a marketing campaign that Movado employed during the '60s, obviously denoting water resistance.

The cal. 608 is based on an ETA calibre 2472 ebauche. It is clean, nicely finished, and operating well, though I have no idea when it was last serviced, and would strongly recommend a service for regular use. The Movado logo incorporated into the rotor is a cool design cue. There is a semi-quick date change function, which allows the user to wind back to 8:30, then forward past 12:00 to move the date forward.

This is a classic, understated automatic watch from the end of the Golden Era of mechanical watch production. I would say that it represents fine value at my asking price of $575, including registered shipping. For an additional $50 I will ship EMS express from my home in Portugal. Please note that because of the virus issue, shipping may take longer than usual, and especially to the U.S. Please also note that it is not possible for me to insure parcels that are not sent through EMS, so regular shipping will be at the buyer's risk. I have never had a problem with the Portuguese post, but it is still important to keep that in mind.

Feel free to ask any questions!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Apr 30, 2020
    td69, wristpirate, Vitezi and 14 others like this.
  2. MikeMan2727 Apr 30, 2020

That caseback and rotor! ::love::

GLWS Tony!

3. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Apr 30, 2020

Oh my, yes!

Those two features alone make this one very cool watch :cool: !!

They certainly don't make 'em like that anymore...

Tony C. likes this.
  4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 2, 2020

Weekend bump!

glennberger likes this.
  5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 3, 2020

Sold! Thanks to the new owner, and the OF for its excellent platform. :thumbsup:

VinceFR, Walrus and DaveK like this.
  6. Walrus May 3, 2020

I knew that wouldn’t hang around long nice watch good sale and congrats to the new owner. I wouldn’t hesitate buying from Tony C.

Bill Sohne and kov like this.
  7. CaptainWinsor May 3, 2020

Another Tony C watch gone quickly. That’s what quality and reputation get you.

VinceFR and DaveK like this.