Looking for restoration guidance re: gold Seamaster De Ville

Generic straps are okay to, no one will think any less of your watch because of it. $40 will buy a nice Hirsch
I will check those out, thanks.

Thank you for the reply. I am currently in southeast PA and found a place that looked promising: https://precisionwatches.com/about-precision-watches-willow-grove/

Hi there, if I have one piece of advice: do NOT take your watch to someone you just Google on the web and who « looks promising ». They may have a good sales pitch but you have no idea what they will do inside the watch or if they will respect your wishes, for example not to polish the case to make it look new. (The caseback is so beautiful I would not even want to buff it or make it shiny- the natural patina on the gold is just beautiful).

Many watch repair businesses unfortunately cut corners and take advantage of uneducated clients— and they can di irreparable damage.

You have a lovely watch, you came here because you’ve become an enthusiast and want to find the best care for your watch.

Many people ship their watches for service.
You should look for or create a thread for referrals to known and trusted watchmakers in your area - there must be some.

First post here but I felt I had to jump in… After 20 years of collecting vintage and odd-ball watches the BEST service I have ever received was from Tanner Morehouse at tmwatchco.com. They specialize in vintage Omegas and their service/communication is second to none. He even gave me, along with others I’m sure, his cell phone number so I could call or text him directly.

The watch I just got back is a 1969 Seamaster model 176.007 with a 1040 movement. Five years ago I left this watch with a high-end watch boutique to have serviced/overhauled after purchasing it only a few months prior. 14 months later I got it back, along with a vintage Breitling I also left, with a destroyed inner tachy ring, cracked original crystal, and in pieces (pics below). I had to source the pieces I needed to fix the watch then find another watchsmith willing to take on the repair. The Breitling was only sent along for a service, it came back inoperable with a cracked jewel. The watchsmith got the Omega working, which I was thankful for, however, about a year ago the quickset function for the date stopped working. The date would advance by changing the time but this made me not want to wear the watch. This is one of about a ½ dozen experiences with “watchsmiths” that all ended horribly!

I found a review on this forum for TMWatch, contacted them, and overnighted my watch the next day. Eight weeks later my Omega returned to me and I couldn’t be happier with the service and communication I received while it was at their facility. The only delay was waiting on an OEM part from Canada which lengthened the service by about two weeks. The pricing is MORE than reasonable, they even replate gold-filled watches with finishes that have worn over time. Do yourself a favor and contact them, they will certainly be getting all my watch service requests in the future!

*I am in no way related or associated with TMWatchco just amazed I finally found a watchsmith that delivers on what they promise

Hi there, if I have one piece of advice: do NOT take your watch to someone you just Google on the web and who « looks promising ». They may have a good sales pitch but you have no idea what they will do inside the watch or if they will respect your wishes, for example not to polish the case to make it look new. (The caseback is so beautiful I would not even want to buff it or make it shiny- the natural patina on the gold is just beautiful).

Many watch repair businesses unfortunately cut corners and take advantage of uneducated clients— and they can di irreparable damage.

You have a lovely watch, you came here because you’ve become an enthusiast and want to find the best care for your watch.

Many people ship their watches for service.
You should look for or create a thread for referrals to known and trusted watchmakers in your area - there must be some.
Totally agree with you. I’ll definitely be doing some more research before I take it in anywhere

First post here but I felt I had to jump in… After 20 years of collecting vintage and odd-ball watches the BEST service I have ever received was from Tanner Morehouse at tmwatchco.com. They specialize in vintage Omegas and their service/communication is second to none. He even gave me, along with others I’m sure, his cell phone number so I could call or text him directly.

The watch I just got back is a 1969 Seamaster model 176.007 with a 1040 movement. Five years ago I left this watch with a high-end watch boutique to have serviced/overhauled after purchasing it only a few months prior. 14 months later I got it back, along with a vintage Breitling I also left, with a destroyed inner tachy ring, cracked original crystal, and in pieces (pics below). I had to source the pieces I needed to fix the watch then find another watchsmith willing to take on the repair. The Breitling was only sent along for a service, it came back inoperable with a cracked jewel. The watchsmith got the Omega working, which I was thankful for, however, about a year ago the quickset function for the date stopped working. The date would advance by changing the time but this made me not want to wear the watch. This is one of about a ½ dozen experiences with “watchsmiths” that all ended horribly!

I found a review on this forum for TMWatch, contacted them, and overnighted my watch the next day. Eight weeks later my Omega returned to me and I couldn’t be happier with the service and communication I received while it was at their facility. The only delay was waiting on an OEM part from Canada which lengthened the service by about two weeks. The pricing is MORE than reasonable, they even replate gold-filled watches with finishes that have worn over time. Do yourself a favor and contact them, they will certainly be getting all my watch service requests in the future!

*I am in no way related or associated with TMWatchco just amazed I finally found a watchsmith that delivers on what they promise
I will check them out right now! Thanks very much for sharing this info.