Forums Latest Members
  1. buzzer88 Feb 21, 2022

Hi all, new member here and I hope this is the right place for my very first post about... getting my first Omega!

My (semi-short) story: I've loved Omegas for years but have either not had the dough for one or hesitated for various reason. That time has passed - if 2020-present has taught me anything, it's get the watch(es) you want now, not later, as ya never know.

Ideally I want a used Speedmaster Pro, at a price point topping out at $3,000-3,500. I like the "classic" looks of the 3570.50, 3572.50 and 3573.50 models - and definitely want a bracelet, not a strap. My favorite model might be the new 3861 Professional w/ Sapphire crystal, but don't want to drop $7K on one, plus there are lots of nice, cheaper (used) Speedys in my opinion (many of which I'm probably not even aware of).

I've read through several threads on here over the past few weeks and see a user "Kringkily" who seems pretty well known for acquiring/selling used Omegas and who folks appear to view as trustworthy. I DM'd him about a month ago, he responded a week ago saying he doesn't check this forum much and asked if I was still in the market, I responded yes, but I don't think he's logged back in.

Does anybody know how I can contact him or, for that matter, somebody else who is reputable and you'd trust for buying a used Omega? eBay and C24 leave me a little apprehensive because I'm new to the "online luxury watch" thing and would like to go with somebody who's a known commodity. I've bought my watches locally up til now.

Any thoughts on people to contact - and/or Speedy models that might be be a great fit given my stated preferences - would be highly appreciated! Apologies for being so green. Thanks in advance.

2. aggie Feb 21, 2022

Many here are professionals. .Just post a proper thread and you will get answers from very well advised people. . Don't focus on one person in particular....

HootOwl likes this.
  3. buzzer88 Feb 21, 2022

Gotcha - wasn't aware there were many pros on here. Thanks very much for the quick feedback, I'll fire up a better (and shorter) thread on it now.

4. aggie Feb 21, 2022

and exp!ore the forum. There are plenty of threads about the watch you are interested in!

5. Donn Chambers Feb 21, 2022

in todays market, I think your price range is a little on the low side. Just took a cursory look at EBay and find the cheapest offered are at least $1000 more than than your top offer price. I think if you can find a Speedmaster for $3000, it may have some issues, so search carefully.

good luck.

Badwolf likes this.
  6. Badwolf Feb 21, 2022

I agree. The prices have moved up. The only ones I see at $3000 are from Japan, and then you have to factor in the import costs. You might get lucky and get offered something, but it'll probably need work as Donn says. Personally, I'd try and stretch it a bit further, rather than having to pay out for work to make one better.

7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 21, 2022

sent you a PM.

8. buzzer88 Feb 22, 2022

Appreciate the insight, guys. I'd much rather pay a little more for one that's gonna be durable for years than skimp and be in the repair shop every year. Price point noted.

9. Dan S Feb 22, 2022

In that price range you are going to be bottom-fishing, so be careful. Obviously you can save some money by finding an example with original box and paperwork, that's fine. And maybe you can compromise a bit on case condition. A watch with a worn case will still be totally fine to wear if you don't mind it. Don't be tempted to save money by buying a watch that is missing the bracelet, it will cost you way more in the long run. And I'd advise against buying one with a damaged dial (e.g. missing or peeling lume). Eventually you'll regret it, and it could have water damage. If you can bump your budget a bit, you'll probably be happier.

10. buzzer88 Feb 22, 2022

Ok, I'm hearing you guys. In other words, Omega Speedmasters don't lose much of their value if kept in good shape. Not the way a German car fresh off the lot does (well, maybe not in 2022 but these are strange times).

What is the general sentiment around here about the new 3861 Speedmaster Pro? I realize the Sapphire crystal vs Hesalite glass component of the watch is probably a debate of its own, but that part aside, do most feel the newest model is pretty solid compared to earlier Speedmaster Pros? Looks like the Hesalite version runs $6,300 new.

11. DoctorEvil Feb 22, 2022

You might want to read this thread first...
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/3861-movement-broken-update-read-first-post.120071/
    Personally, I feel that if you're keen on the 3861 Speedy Pro then you might want to wait a bit longer until all the early production examples have been flushed out of AD/OB inventories. Otherwise, you could get a Speedy with Cal 1861. There should be plenty of nice used examples out there at reasonable prices.

buzzer88 and chipotlefire like this.
  12. chipotlefire Feb 22, 2022

If I were you, I would decide if you want an 1861 movement or the newer 3861. Do you want the co-axial movement, slightly thinner depth case, the new bracelet?

The older movement is proven to be durable. Decades of fixing any issues found.

On paper, the new movement should have longer maintenance intervals i.e. you won't have to get it serviced as often. BUT, it is a new movement and already has shown to have a pretty common fault that requires Omega to take it in for 4 weeks to repair. It may take time to iron out the wrinkles.

If you are at all interested in the newer version, I'd recommend saving up a little more and getting the newer model. There's the old saying, 'buy cheap, buy twice' as you will probably second-guess yourself and wish you had gone for the real thing you wanted.

The Hesalite 3861 pops up on http://reddit.com/r/Watchexchange every now and then (saw 2 in the past week) used, good condition for $5k

Sapphire has been going for low $6k over there.

Since they are new models, they will have the balance of a 5 year warranty remaining.

They have a feedback system there, so if you stick to users with a relatively high transaction count, you should be safe.

A relatively good condition 1861 usually show up for $4k there though you sometimes see lesser condition ones for mid-high $3k.

Personally, I didn't want to have a watch so many people had so I went with Speedmaster Racing 40mm co-axial, then a First Omega in Space, and then a 3575.20 (older Pro movement with a moon phase).

buzzer88 likes this.
  13. buzzer88 Feb 28, 2022

Thanks to both of you for this info - I didn't get a notification for new posts (probably need to tweak my settings) so just saw these last two tonight. I had no idea about the problems mentioned with the first batch of 3861s... I'll definitely hold off.

That's also a great question as to whether I'd prefer the 1861 or 3861 - I really don't know. I like durability and reliability first and foremost - especially if I'm dropping ~$5K on a watch, so maybe the answer is 1861. I'm going to look at both more closely this week and figure that out. Feel dumb asking this, @DoctorEvil - but what are AD/OB deliveries?

Also, @chipotlefire - you said:

What did you mean by that? What is the "newer version" in this case, and the newer model - do you just mean the 2021 version of the 3861 vs whatever the prior version was (I think 2019)?

Thanks again to you both, really helpful.

p.s. I hear what you're saying about not having a watch everybody else has, too, @chipotlefire. I may look over some others. I do like the 3861's look a lot (as well as some of its similar counterparts) but there are a lot of Speedmaster Pros I've liked the looks of and it's only this past month I've gotten serious about getting one, so I didn't spend much time looking into those other models. I'll take a closer look this week.

Anywhere you specifically recommend to be see (and maybe contrast) various Speedy models, past and present? Or are places like C24 my best bet?

Sorry for all the questions - once I get in line with some of the models (and terminology) this pain will cease.

14. DoctorEvil Feb 28, 2022

@buzzer88
    AD= Authorised Dealer
    OB= Omega Boutique
    :)

buzzer88 likes this.
  15. dlukask Mar 7, 2022

used Speedy

16. buzzer88 Apr 4, 2022

17. matlt Apr 4, 2022

At a quick glance there doesn’t seem to be a date? It’s hard to know with recent inflation and hysteria driving up prices, but the price seems high unless it’s fairly new, or recently fully serviced. I have a 3570.50 from 2011, and have toyed around with the idea of sending it in for service and selling it immediately when I get it back. I would be amazed if it were actually worth that much.
    Guess you also have to weigh in the box and papers, as that seems less common every day. But again, I would assume this watch to be newer

Edited Apr 4, 2022
  18. DoctorEvil Apr 5, 2022

Hi there. Can't say that I'm an expert on used Speedies and how much they're supposed to cost. According to the WatchCharts website, the asking price of that particular Speedmaster could be a bit high. Most are sold for an average of about US$5000 with full box and papers. Also, we don't know the service history so factor in some extra cash for a service. Here in Australia, that will be at least AU$800 if you send it to the official Omega service centre. As I understand it, Chrono24 prices tend to be on the high side because of the commission they charge sellers. If anyone else has more correct info than me, please feel free to chime in and correct me.
    Good luck with your search!

19. rob#1 Apr 5, 2022

AU$1,130 for an 1861 service if taken to an Aus OB. Not sure where Australian OBs send their watches to be serviced though...

DoctorEvil likes this.
  20. DoctorEvil Apr 5, 2022

When I sent my Seamaster Pro for service a couple of years ago by mail, it had to be sent to the Swatch group service centre in Glen Iris, a Melbourne suburb. This is the closest service centre to me as I'm in Victoria. Don't know where people from other Australian states send their watches to.

rob#1 likes this.