Forums Latest Members

Longines Wittnauer valjoux 23

1. luansamo84 Jan 17, 2021

I have a rare Longines Wittnauer chronograph with valjoux 23 with reference 3258. Stainless steel case with 35mm.
    Can anyone help me with an opinion about the watch, possible value and where can i find more information about it.

transferir (1).jpeg transferir (3).jpeg transferir (4).jpeg transferir (5).jpeg transferir (6).jpeg transferir (7).jpeg
  2. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jan 17, 2021

To put it simply, this watch is a disaster. Dial has been refinished. Case is Wittnauer, which is not Longines. The bridge on the movements that says Longines has been swapped in as Longines caliber 332 has three counters (Val. 72 variant) and not two (Val. 23 variant). The balance cock is also not correct for a Longines with a VOS import mark. This watch is worth essentially nothing. Sorry for the bad news. We all have to start somewhere.

fbf, Mark020, Dan S and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dan S Jan 17, 2021

My first thought was that the OP doesn't want to hear my opinion. Sorry OP, chalk it up to a learning experience.

Mark020 and DirtyDozen12 like this.
  4. luansamo84 Jan 18, 2021

Thank you very much for your precise information.
    Greetings

Radiumpassion likes this.
  5. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 18, 2021

As others I am sorry for being so abrupt- but there is no way to sugar coat it.
    In short: it’s been faked.

PS the number one lesson is: study every watch you want to acquire. Learn to recognize movements.
    And if there’s a name on the case that’s not the name on the dial or the movement, you need to know why.
    All parts must fit together and be correct for the model you are looking at.
    Finally, if you’re going to buy vintage watches you should read @ConElPueblo’s sticky thread, « learn how to fish ».

Radiumpassion likes this.
  6. luansamo84 Jan 18, 2021

Thank you for your message and your good advice i will check the "learn how to fish"

divetime likes this.