Forums Latest Members

Longines ultra quartz help needed

1. Fled Oct 26, 2021

I accuired these two watches a long time ago. I am not a watchmaker and not confident to open them up. The first I wear often and love the design and amazing accuracy. The second I found in a cupboard I cleared out recently and tbh can't remember how or when I got it.
    I got a local to put a battery in and it started to buzz. The second hand moves but slightly jerky, the others only move when I alter the crown.
    Any information would be brilliant.
    Phil IMG_20211026_134821.jpg IMG_20211026_134647.jpg

Tako Taki 8 likes this.
  2. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Oct 26, 2021

Hello, friend.

The first watch looks to be from the 1940's, though it's hard to tell, as the dial has been repainted sometime later. If you can manage to remove the caseback and photograph the movement, we can tell you an approximate date of manufacture, as well as the caliber (movement designation). I wouldn't recommend you do this yourself if you've never done it before to avoid risking damage. Maybe go to your local watchmaker.

The second Longines is from around the 1970's. It looks all original and the bracelet is period correct. Based on your description, and considering it's been languishing in a drawer, it may just need a service to start singing again. Though the movement in these are monstrous things. Somebody might have to recommend you a watchmaker, if you want to go to that length.

3. Fled Oct 26, 2021

Thanks.
    My local watchmakers did put a battery in but said he was very reluctant to work on it. Not too sure what to do with it?
    Why do you say the first dial has been repainted? To my very amateurish eyes it looks genuine. It also keeps unbelievable time, within a second or two a week.
    Cheers
    Phil

4. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Oct 26, 2021

It takes a long time to become proficient at identifying refinished dials, especially good ones. There are quite a few members on this forum who have dedicated the time and developed a level of expertise, and @Modest_Proposal is certainly one of them. In this instance, the dial of the watch in question is not so difficult to identify as refinished since the style and execution of its printing are inconsistent with original dials from the period.

Waltesefalcon and DaveK like this.
  5. Fled Oct 26, 2021

Many thanks. So from that I guess it's tricky to date from this picture alone.
    I will get a watchmaker to pop the back off and take some pictures. Would love to know its providence, refinished dial and all.
    Cheers
    Phil

6. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Oct 26, 2021

You are most welcome. From the picture provided, I agree with @Modest_Proposal that the watch is probably from the 1940s. The movement could very well be a caliber 12.68Z. With additional photos of the movement and inside of the case-back, Longines can provide you with an extract from their archive: https://www.longines.com/certificate-of-authenticity

7. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Oct 27, 2021

The second watch is a very nice and interesting example of a rare Longines watch with a movement created in 1969, and which is called, as the dial says « Ultra Quartz ». It is an insane movement you can see if you Google on the Internet — as Longines tells the story, they got it patented as the first quartz movement in the world and therefore beat everyone on the invention of quartz.
    being able to manufacture it for mass production was a completely different story however, they worked on it for two years and the Japanese manufacturers beat them to the market.
    The rest is history and the so called « quartz crisis » nearly killed the Swiss watch industry.

Because that intricate movement is like a complete electronic jumble, few watchmakers in the world are willing to attempt repairing it.
    From what I was told even Longines watchmakers say they cannot repair it.
    You need to find a watchmaker who specializes in electrical movements.

Perhaps our own @Archer who I believe has an engineering background would be willing to take a look?

8. Fled Oct 27, 2021

Many thanks syrte
    I did some research and honestly it looks a nightmare to fix. Although I am sure it's mechanical as it seamed to work for a short period after a battery went in.
    My watchmakers won't touch it so I now have a dilemma, i just don't know what to do with it. Seems such a shame to put back into the drawer it came from, it's a beautiful watch.

Cheers
    Phil

Syrte likes this.
  9. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Oct 27, 2021

Well maybe first wait and see what @Archer says.
    You could also search for a watchmaker who’s willing to take it on but the cost may be significant.

Part of it is mechanical and part of it is electronic. Those were called electro-mechanical movements as far as I know.

Some collectors of course may be trying to reach out to you privately who may be willing to take on such a project. If so, make sure you don’t get scammed or fleaced. You’re not supposed to use the forum as a sales platform since you just joined, but you could sell it on Ebay and it will find its market at a fair price.

10. Fled Oct 27, 2021

Thanks
    I've no intention of selling it so I guess it will remain just a curiosity for now.
    I will get my watchmakers to pop the back off and take some pictures for longines to tell me it's providence.
    Cheers
    Phil

11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Oct 27, 2021

Good for you. If you tell us where you are located perhaps someone might come up with a recommendation.
    Agree that it’s a beautiful watch and quite worth restoring if you can find someone who can do it.

12. Fled Oct 27, 2021

I am in the UK. South West area

13. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Oct 27, 2021

Maybe @ChrisN will have an idea too, he’s a watchmaker in the UK and another trusted member here.

14. Fled Oct 28, 2021

It looks like a dead end on the repair front. I don't doubt a suitable watchmaker maybe interested for himself but unlikely to work on it for me.
    So it's either owning a museum piece, or ebay.
    Damn shame.

15. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Oct 28, 2021

A real pity. Maybe you should trade it with the watchmaker in question for another nice watch you would like.
    That way, you get a nice watch and you know this watch will perhaps be brought back to life?

16. size11s Can’t bat, can’t bowl Oct 28, 2021

You could try electric-watches.co.uk, he did a great job on my Longines Ultronic. If I remember correctly he doesn't usually work on quartz watches but as this is a very early and interesting example he might make an exception.

Edit - the Longines 6512 is illustrated on his website so you might be in luck.

He has a great page on the 6512 movement https://electric-watches.co.uk/makers/longines/longines-ultra-quartz/

Edited Oct 28, 2021
    Tako Taki 8, Mark020 and Syrte like this.
  17. Fled Oct 29, 2021

Thanks I contacted him yesterday. He won't work on mine, only his own. Too delicate apparently.
    Phil

18. size11s Can’t bat, can’t bowl Oct 29, 2021

That's a shame, if he won't work on it it's not looking good but did you ask him if he knew of anyone else that might take the risk?

19. Fled Oct 29, 2021

I've sort of given up on wearing this. Even if I get it fixed the cost and worry of going through this again, should it break, isn't really worth it.
    So i will put it on ebay, much to my regret, failing that I will get a perspex case for it and put it on display in the lounge.
    Cheers
    Phil

20. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Oct 29, 2021

You could explore one last avenue which is to see if Longines would want it for their museum.
    They do have a couple examples which I believe are functioning, and I heard that they say they cannot service them, presumably because they could not honor any warranty on them- but they might be interested in having it in its current condition?

You can easily contact their brand heritage department through their website and say you were referred to them.

Frankly even if it were working and repaired I’m not sure it’s very pleasant to wear. I’ve had a functioning one in hand, the constant vibration is so intense and distracting, the only practical use that comes to mind is X rated.
    It really is a collectible and not a practical object.

PS perhaps you could edit the title of the thread to add the words « Ultra Quartz » so our discussion might benefit others some day?

Edited Oct 29, 2021
    Mark020, Waltesefalcon and Duracuir1 like this.