Forums Latest Members

Grandfather's Seamaster Quartz, help on setting minute hand (background information)

1. robbyraccoon May 20, 2019

Hello All,

First time poster here, but definitely not first time reader.

I hope you guys can help me out.

While going through my deceased grandfather's letters and papers to digitally archive records I came across one of his watches. It is an Omega Seamster Quartz. It was pretty dirty, and I brought it to a old school watch repairman, and he cleaned it up, put a new strap on it, new battery, "oil-ed" it to have start to move. But I have one problem, I cannot set the minutes on the watch. I can pull out the crown and set the hour hand and date. The hour hand jumps (for time-zone change when traveling) and can use that to set the date (as other watches, especially seamaster's do). But the one pull out of the crown is it. I cannot pull the crown out to a second click to set the minutes or hack the seconds. I have looked on the vintage omega manuals online and have not found a solution. The watch does not have recessed button at the 2 o'clock position, or on the left hand side of the case. It does not have a recessed or protruding button in the center of the crown either.

The watch repairman could not figure it out either. He stated that his experience was mainly mechanical pocket watches and wristwatches.

I brought it to an Omega AD and they had a look over and were not able to figure it out either. The AD stated that maybe my grandfather had it fixed and the watch repair shop put on a different crown on it it was damaged. He stated that "back in the day" shops would do that all the time. Both the AD and Omega letter I received stated to send it in (to Omega HQ) for them to review it. But the cost of sending it through an AD, to Omega, for Omega to do a service charge just to look at it and then back to the AD would be way more than what the watch is worth.

Name: Omega Seamaster Quartz
    Model (back of case back): 1960119
    Caliber: 1370
    Serial Number: 43 691619

Back of case: 10k RGP Bezel
    Stainless Steel Back

I have attached some pictures to the thread, my apologies as the camera is from my phone. I tried to take some clear photos at different angles. Please let me know, if you would like more/clearer photos and I will dig out my out digital camera.

Thanks for all of your help!
    IMG_73161.jpg IMG_73151.jpg IMG_73141.jpg IMG_73131.jpg IMG_73121.jpg IMG_73111.jpg IMG_73101.jpg

2. redpcar May 20, 2019

3. robbyraccoon May 20, 2019

/redpcar,

Thanks, I read the manual that you posted. But the problem is that this watch does not have a push-button in the center of the crown.

4. redpcar May 20, 2019

Thus your dilemma. Now you know you need a different crown (and a different watchmaker). ;)

Maybe someone here could point you in the right direction. A quick ebay showed nothing for the crown and maybe a stem.

I checked my drawers and I currently don't have an Omega with a 1370 movement.

Can you post a clear pic of the crown?

Mark020 likes this.
  5. Vercingetorix Spam Risk May 20, 2019

You can always pull the battery and put it back when real minutes match the minutes your hands show. Then keep an eye out for a proper crown.

6. redpcar May 20, 2019

I think even pulling out the crown to set hour hand stops the time. Pull out the stem, wait until the minutes line up then set the hour. The movement is very accurate so no worries about drift.

7. robbyraccoon May 20, 2019

Thanks, Please see below:
    unnamed-3.jpg unnamed-2.jpg unnamed.jpg

8. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer May 21, 2019

Yup: wrong crown.

9. tdn-dk May 21, 2019

Need a crown like this cal. 1370 Omega, where you can set in the center of the crown.

upload_2019-5-21_8-54-20.png

10. Magnix May 21, 2019

It is allready clear it is the wrong crown, but sometimes they placed the replacement crown a little off the case so you can push it. Please try that.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 21, 2019

Replacement crown for this case is 069SX43242.

Cheers, Al

12. redpcar May 21, 2019

13. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 21, 2019

From the dents inside the Omega, on the crown, it looks like someone was trying the push the crown in with something.

14. robbyraccoon May 21, 2019

Thanks, I tried that. It did not work, but thank you for your advice!

15. robbyraccoon May 21, 2019

That was caused by my friend who thought he could see if it was "hidden" he was being a real "funny" guy.

16. robbyraccoon May 21, 2019

Thank you.

17. robbyraccoon May 21, 2019

/redpcar

Thank you very much. I gave them a call, and both the white and yellow crowns for this model/caliber are discontinued and they have 0 left in stock and will not be receiving anymore. Sad. But that was a very good lead! I really appreciate the search.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 21, 2019

They aren't discontinued, but third party suppliers can't order from Omega anymore. If you find a watchmaker with an Omega parts account, they can get the crown.

19. redpcar May 21, 2019

That's why I said you should call. They have Omega parts but since they no longer can get replacements from Omega their inventory is depleting and prices are going up.
    Only watchmakers with an Omega account can purchase parts. No more "middlemen" distributors supported like Jules Borel and Ofrei. Very sad.
    What part of the country are you located?

20. robbyraccoon May 21, 2019

/Redpcar

The Northeast.