Longines Russell’s Ltd Trench Watch on its Way

Spotted this one on eBay and was lucky to be the winning bidder and looking forward to the watch arriving. Seller didn’t know what he had as he referred to it being in a Borgel case and no mention of the Longines 13.34 movement and the Arthur Baume & Co case hallmark. Also looks to have the original NATO style strap with silver hallmark which I would have happily paid good money for on its own. Nice complete well looked after 100 year old watch in original condition. David Boettcher discusses a similar example in the Longines section of his Vintage Watch Straps website IMG_0499.jpeg IMG_0504.jpeg IMG_0508.jpeg IMG_0509.jpeg IMG_0510.jpeg IMG_0517.jpeg IMG_0518.jpeg

Hi Flying, I and a few others were discussing that lovely watch. It most likely is a Borgel case, even though it isn't marked as such. Perhaps some kind of licensing agreement with Borgel?? The numbering either side of the hallmarks would suggest Longines involvement. I have an 18 jewel 13.34 in a silver Borgel exactly the same which is marked both Longines and FB. Bit of a mystery the lack of markings on the case. Congrats again.

I am aware of the connection between Borgel cases and Longines but because there isn’t a hallmark for Borgel I questioned if it was a Borgel case which as you say it may be. David Boettcher references cases made by Birch & Gaydon which are sometimes mistaken for Borgel cases. Either way once I have in hand will investigate further

Be very interesting to find out more, thank you. Hope it travels safely to you.

Reading DBs website again it appears that a small number of Borgel cases were not stamped with his trademark for no explained reason so case is more than likely a Borgel case

Reading DBs website again it appears that a small number of Borgel cases were not stamped with his trademark for no explained reason so case is more than likely a Borgel case
Maybe not "Borgel" but even "Borgel style" is enough for me to think you've got a nice example.

👍