Forums Latest Members

Longines Trench Watch Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF)

1. flyingdoormat Dec 1, 2020

I have posted about this watch on MWR and have received good information but thought I would also post here hoping for help/advice for missing parts/repairs required. Watch is dated 1916 and belonged to a member of the C.E.F. Movement number puts it at around 1909 and originally thought it was a 13.34 movement but the number is slightly obscured and all that is visible is what looks like 13.9. Submitted request with photos for extract of archives information but reply from Longines is requesting me to send watch to Switzerland for further assessment. Originally believed the 9th Field Ambulance was Australian which existed but additional searches led me to Canada and was happy to find documents on line which corroborated all the details inscribed on the case back. I assume the movement number has something to do with Longines requesting a hands on inspection. The case is A.W.C. CO which bears their logo underneath the company name on the inside of the case back and is also marked STERLING. Diameter of case is approximately 32.5mm. A.W.C. CO where originally founded in Toronto, Canada and I am assuming they made a generic case possibly of different sizes as I have seen the same case and crown design on other watches of the day mostly Waltham and some Elgin. Movement runs and keeps good time but will need a good clean and service. Case back has detached from case and will need repairing. But the big one is the missing bezel and glass which is why I have been on the look out for a donor case. Any further information would be appreciated especially regarding the case and its manufacturer

IMG_0637.JPG IMG_0639.JPG IMG_0641.JPG IMG_0642.JPG IMG_0644.JPG IMG_0646.JPG CEF Discharge.PNG ID Card.PNG

bubba48 and jumpingsecond like this.
  2. jumpingsecond Dec 1, 2020

very cool historical piece. GL with the missing info/parts search!