Forums Latest Members
  1. Flaco73 May 1, 2020

Hi all

I stumbled upon this one with the following description: "Longines Jumbo 1917 cal. 15.25 for repair" and I found some things very attractive: 37 mm diameter without crown, hands and Longines logo. But the seller states "Unrestored dial in its original shape and nice condition" and I think there are several issues on this dial. But I lack the knowledge for a so old Longines if it ever existed in the first place.
    In my opinion, the "8" printed on the seconds subdial and the distance from the printing and the edge of the dial show that its a re-dial. But there are a few questions I would like to ask you. Were there "jumbo" size Longines wristwatches around these years? I like the Longines logo font but, is it correct for 1917? What about the hands, including subseconds? Could the numbers and indexes have been printed on a dial with the original logo?
    By the way, the case has no mark at all...
    Here the photos:
    Longines_1917_dial01.jpg

Longines_1917_calibre.jpg

If it was actually a Longines from 1917 it would look great on any wrist, isn't it?

Longines_1917_dial02.jpg

Best regards

2. ConElPueblo May 1, 2020

Pretty much all these large, early wristwatches are recently re-cased pocket watches; this one is no exception. When the first conversions to wristwatches were made in the early 20th century, most of the times it would be women's watches that were re-cased, as the fashion (sensibly) was in favour of smaller watches, not behemoths like this one.

If you like it, just take it for what it is and wear it if it makes you happy :)

Flaco73 likes this.
  3. TropicConnie May 1, 2020

One caveat, these recased pocket watches don't have shock protected movements. They're more prone to bumps and knocks on the wrist. If you want a vintage jumbo, look for a Cyma with a Calibre 586K. The 586K was derived from the 15''' pocket watch calibre 586, with added shock protection. They were made mostly during the second world war (another bonus over a later recasing) when most of Cyma's production was taken up by the Cal. 234 WWW ('Dirty Dozen') military watch.

Flaco73 likes this.
  4. Oku May 1, 2020

and after a while when he learned about the value of originality and looks at the watch, it will be less and lesser pleasing ;)

@Flaco73, you need to be honest with yourself. Will you like a recased pocketwatch (recased recently, not 100 years ago) with mismatched hands, poorly reprinted dial, most probably overpolished case in a few years?

Flaco73 likes this.
  5. BlueHands May 1, 2020

This looks really cruel with that dirty movement and poor dial, total agree with @Oku. It needs time for learning, looking and searching.
    Still time passes on to find a pleasing and origin watch. Please let this one go :thumbsdown:

Flaco73 likes this.
  6. Flaco73 May 1, 2020

Hi

Thanks for the comments but I wasn't even close to buy it and, after all, is a “for repair" piece. It's not working, not a "vintage" watch from 1917 and not an original Longines dial or case. By any means am I going to buy that watch. I already have a vintage Longines and I will buy some more in the future but I'm gonna spend my money only in original ones.

Good advice. Those Cyma 586K are beautiful watches and I would like to have one someday.

Best regards

7. vacheroyale May 16, 2020

Very impressive !! nice watch

8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 17, 2020

@vacheroyale Are you post farming ? Just curious.
    May I draw your attention to the forum rules in the “for sale” forum? The 200 posts need to be meaningful contributions. best regards

9. vacheroyale Jun 7, 2020

I just saw your message now. I don't post any farming on the forum, but I do practice agriculture on my own land.best regards