Lesson learned, in for 20,000 pennies Caliber 342 automatic

Hello everyone,
I am very very new to Omega, having made my first two purchases today. I had done some research beforehand but went out on a limb, perhaps even too much on this second watch. I ended up spending $200 on it, which while i know is low for an automatic, i wonder if eating it in repairs puts me upside down on it, at which point i should call it a learned lesson and move on.

I purchased this watch online, where they stated it was a Omega bumper automatic. The description said the watch was running (the photos suggested it) but that some things were missing, crown,screws and bumper spring. I also see one accent is off and the crystal is likely scratched. Having called an Omega certified location (and talking to a watch maker i trust, who is fair with pricing) I am thinking the bumper spring will be the biggest issue. I plan to take my time, save some money, and get this fixed up right. Based on the images what would you point to as missing, or problematic? I know the markings pointing to possible repair notes is not encouraging. I understand that a purchase of a watch like this could have been better thought out but we will call it a learning exercise as i get into watches further. Front.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600.jpg
Edited:

It starts with a very badly repainted Dial. I would not touch it.

my initial thought was “variation”… now that you mention it and looking with that in mind I do believe this is leaning more towards the “lesson learned” category. Thanks for pointing that out.

If you had even one thought that this example was anywhere near original, and not a money pit, I would suggest spending 3-4 months reading through this Forum and looking at thousands of original pictures offered here.

welcome.............we all start out where you are right now......... and have the "learning experience" watches to prove it.

If you had even one thought that this example was anywhere near original, and not a money pit, I would suggest spending 3-4 months reading through this Forum and looking at thousands of original pictures offered here.

welcome.............we all start out where you are right now......... and have the "learning experience" watches to prove it.

I appreciate the suggestion I will definitely spend more time here before I pursue another watch. it seems dial replacement and in this case painting are a common issue to look for. I have notes variation means problematic so second guess dials.

I figured being an “aged” watch it would not be all original parts especially not a vintage watch at the price I got it for with that many “service markings” But I appreciated the aesthetic and hoped that as a starting watch this is something I would be able to repair over time despite an Extensive “full service” as I was told that is $600+ before I even begin to consider parts. My plan as they state it was working was to address the bumper spring first, along with any missing screws. Then address the crown and stem and finally do a service and re-band it. Short of the service cost, from a purely cost of parts perspective would you pursue part replacement?

I plan to hang on to the watch, I hadn’t planned to re-sell it unless of course it turned out to be a true 100% non-starter.

I have also made a note that when it comes to watches like this fix-er upper = bad. I say this carefully as I’m sure this will invoke further judgement and possible chastisement. I take comfort in the fact that at least the second watch purchased was a fully working quartz watch. Although this one did need a new crystal. Thankfully we have a store with a former omega tech who has been doing this a while so maybe there is hope for that one.
Edited:

If you "appreciated the aesthetic" and now you know it is an extremely poor repainting, I'd kinda think twice about sinking capital(monetary and time) and just find an original and use this one as a parts watch.

It may take a very long time to find a dial.

What you bought is a parts watch to most collectors......at best......

Good luck with your journey and post your adventure with pictures.

If you "appreciated the aesthetic" and now you know it is an extremely poor repainting, I'd kinda think twice about sinking capital(monetary and time) and just find an original and use this one as a parts watch.

It may take a very long time to find a dial.

What you bought is a parts watch to most collectors......at best......

Good luck with your journey and post your adventure with pictures.

Thanks Tex since they state it worked i will likely look into a crown and screw or two (maybe the missing bumper piece if our store can get one) put it on a spinner i have and let it run until it doesn't and enjoy it while it lasts. I will definitely just buy a fully working watch in the future and post it this forum before making serious bids. If i do put any effort into the watch i will be sure to update here.

Just out of curiosity do you know of any good threads that point to good older vintage style of watches or starting points for new buyers? I would like to stick to vintage automatics but would like to make sure i avoid any problem calibers/years/models. Obviously i have a long way to go in my journey of learning so i appreciate your input. No future purchases will be made until i as you said spend some months learning

I'll just add that a nonworking movement can almost always be sorted but a refinished dial can't.

I'll just add that a nonworking movement can almost always be sorted but a refinished dial can't.

noted. And having read the article on dials and what to look for I see where I went wrong in this particular case on the dial. I don’t know if you all have had any experience trying this but since this is already a “refinished” I thought I’d ask. Is there a scenario in which one could find a remover that worked on the added finish that would not harm an original finish? For example could the large line around the minute markers be removed while keeping the original lines intact. I wonder if some of the shift is the missing crown. Hopefully it centers once added.

Another collector used your watch as a parts watch........crown, spring and probably others as you get into it.

No, all gets stripped, repainted and then markers added back( and they didn’t do a good job there, either)

move on and just remember this

There are a few threads here that start "In for a penny ..."

For nearly 25 to 30 years I have a 351 movement that was a bunch of random parts in a metal tin. A year ago I got inspired to put it together. Took a year to find a case. New balance, motion works etc. Still have to get a crown and tube. And the case clamp did not fit the case I got.

Never seem to be in the mood to call around for the crown and tube. I could do that right now, more interesting to read the threads here and dream of the next project as I need to leave to drive up to the pipe organs in 20 minutes.

Hindsight says, I should have waited and simply acquired something more complete. On the other hand I do like the challenge of assembling the puzzle of parts. Old bad habits abound. As soon as I tire of one project I am itching to move onto the next more inspiring one.

While this might make for a good learning watch. (I learned on similar watches.) they do tend to turn into money pits. On the other hand one can get similar looking A Schild and ETA movements in bulk. Trick though is finding someone who can teach the basics. Like how to sit and hold the tools. Books only take one so far.

Back in the 1990s when dial refinishing was popular I spent weeks if not months or years attempting to figure out how to make a dial. And this with access to laser printers and other printing tech. I took jewelry classes. Experimented with different printing techniques and even destroyed a few dials. One of which is a rather nice omega 14713-61 268.

So some of us have been through this and learned the hard way.

Stop trying to convince yourself that it's worth spending any more on this watch.

Thanks everyone, you have helped me move on from this poor purchase decision. it will be put in a display case until such a time i have need of parts in the future. No more money will be spent and ive changed the title so that it can be a learning experience for someone else. I appreciate you all. Have a great week!

Something I like to do is take a watch that is one that a collector would not touch, spend some $ to get the movement serviced and the dial refinished (properly) and you have a watch that you can wear and not worry about.

Hey! A fun ending to a way to long story for anyone who is interested several months later. Per the advice i left this watch sit in a case as a testament to poor choices. As it sat I found a friend who had a bag of watches he had found in a storage locker. He offered them to me for $25 and i bought them. There was a healthy mix Timex, swiss army, casio, etc watches. So over a few months I fixed, sold and bartered with those. In my journeys I met someone who bought and sold other things and knew a guy that repaired watches. This person regularly dealt with omega and Rolex watches. He fully services watches (replaces springs, oils etc) and he quoted me $160 to service the watch and repair it using non-omega parts over a longer time (so not a quick service) (or a lot higher for omega parts). The guy who introduced me offered a deal that included a few watches and items i had from the $25 unit purchase and he would cover the cost. So I agreed. It took 5 months to get back but here it is fixed time indicator and non-omega crown. Fully working and keeping good time all thanks to a $25 storage find.

For any Omega experts or those with experience. I realize bumper automatics rely on movement in both directions. My winders only go one way. Does anyone have suggestions on a budget winder that works with bumper automatics?

upload_2024-4-8_12-3-20.jpeg
upload_2024-4-8_12-3-35.jpeg

winder that works with bumper automatics

Without a date complication why bother with a winder?

Wind, set, wear...

Without a date complication why bother with a winder?

Wind, set, wear...

I was a bit worried about letting it sit inactive. I know oil used in the past is different from oil today but will leaving it un-used as i swap between watches over time cause issue? in that case i can let it set but i didnt know if it would create problems thanks!