Forums Latest Members
  1. Sisyphus Jul 21, 2021

Hi,

I very often see discussions on polishing and how "bad" it is for watches; it changes their original form, makes them lose character, etc.

While doing some research around polishing (to understand whether I am pro or anti polishing :) ), I read about laser welding. This technique sounds a bit like the perfect solution for someone as clumsy as myself (can already remember 2 times I have dropped my IWC Portugieser to the floor while changing in the gym's locker room...nice dings on the lugs), but wanted to know whether this is something which is really used by the different brand manufacturers when servicing and what are the downsides.

Cheers,

2. connieseamaster Jul 21, 2021

The thing about laser welding and then reshaping the case is that it's $$$$$$$ . The machine is expensive, the labor to use it is expensive, and then the labor to reshape the case is also expensive.

To me, it's not something that's worth the price for just a couple of dings. It's something you do to a case that has been polished away to almost nothing and there are concerns about the structural integrity of the case

3. size11s Can’t bat, can’t bowl Jul 21, 2021

I think it is a great solution for removing things like ugly gouges from inappropriate/clumsy tool use when trying to open the watch, and isn't overly expensive for this type of work. I can see that re-establishing the edges of an over polished case would be expensive, and imo not really ethical.

4. Sisyphus Jul 21, 2021

Agreed on the ethics to the extent the purpose is to resell it. I just wondered why this topic is not as debated as polishing (it seems like in lots of cases it may be a very good solution for owners determined to keep their pieces and doing so while looking new*).

5. Evitzee Jul 21, 2021

I have two watches from Adam Lewis, each 18-20 years old, and the cases have been brought back to factory specs by the use of welding to take care of dents and dings, and they are indistinguishable from new. I don't have before pics but the end results are impressive. Welding and refinishing are a lot different than polishing, imo.

marco and Sisyphus like this.
  6. Sisyphus Jul 21, 2021

That is exactly what I was thinking, but it seems like most people (maybe its the manufacturers) dont tend to request this service that often...

7. Evitzee Jul 21, 2021

That's because it takes time, the proper machinery, and the skill to do it properly. That all adds up to $$. And there aren't that many practitioners of this art.

marco likes this.
  8. Sisyphus Jul 21, 2021

Understood, but I would expect IWC, Rolex, Omega, etc. to have this capacity in-house (at least in CH).

9. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jul 21, 2021

I had a ding on my Submariner 16800 laser welded at the RSC and it came out looking brilliant.

Sisyphus likes this.
  10. Sisyphus Jul 21, 2021

Good to hear - tbh, this is all just to have a further excuse in my head to live with scratches, etc. :D

11. Omega D Aug 15, 2021

Does Omega offer laser welding?

12. Sisyphus Aug 16, 2021

I know IWC does (that was a bit the purpose behind the thread - got a dented IWC Portugieser :D), but I'd assume that Omega does as well (dont know tbh).

13. rahul718 Aug 18, 2021

A few questions on laser welding…

1 - Omega uses 316L stainless steel in their watches, so when you add metal does it need to match the 316L of the cases?
    2 - Is this considered a temporary fix or long term fix? Can the strength/integrity of the case be compromised in any way when using a laser application?
    3 - For the lug holes where they’ve been polished down where the steel is thin of if the holes are just really worn, how does one ensure that the finished holes are the same specification as Omega intended for that model? I would have to imagine that the measurements need to be spot on accurate so that the end link sits nice and flush, but at the same time you don't want to leave the holes too large or else the spring bars can eat away at them again over time.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 18, 2021

1. Yes

2. Permanent.

3. A drill.

Togri v. 2.0 likes this.