Forums Latest Members

Laser welding to remove engraving on a Speedmaster caseback

1. Stamazon32 May 14, 2022

I have a horrible engraving I made as a teen with a dremel tool on the caseback of my Speedmaster. In hindsight I know it was a pretty stupid thing to do...but I was a pretty dumb kid back then LOL!

I want it removed. I know I will loose a little bit of the hippocampus, but it will sure look a lot better than it does now.

I was told by my jeweler that the only way to remove it is by laser welding but had no leads to where I could have this done, or what it would cost.

If someone could offer some advice, idea of cost to do the job, and leads to who in the US would be a good person to do the job, I would appreciate it.

Here is a picture of the caseback:
    IMG_0397.JPG

Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 11.23.35 AM.jpg

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 14, 2022

Leave it!!!

you made it, and it’s part of the history. No one else knows it’s there.

laser engraving can remove it but you will lose some of the original engraving on the process.

my guess is 5-800 would be the cost.

Hnansen, Andy K, Mark020 and 9 others like this.
  3. JwRosenthal May 14, 2022

I want to know how a teenager got a Speedmaster??!!

Davidt, Dug, amcclell and 10 others like this.
  4. Caracal25 May 15, 2022

Maybe look for a replacement case back and keep that one as a memento?

Dug, johnireland, amcclell and 12 others like this.
  5. Eve May 15, 2022

Edited May 15, 2022
    KLXN and JwRosenthal like this.
  6. Ron_W May 15, 2022

Agree, keep your momento engraving as a reminder, and get a replacement caseback.

7. tantovincoio May 15, 2022

Contact Marco Menzerna, is one of the best watchcase restorers in the world. First of all he will be able to tell you if it is a job that can be done and possibly the costs.
    You can contact him from his Instagram page : il_menzerna
    Hope I was helpful,
    Massimiliano

8. redhed18 May 15, 2022

I think it's awesome as-is...
    but support the idea of buying a replacement caseback if it bothers you.
    Maybe even be cheaper than having a professional restorer work on the existing?

Thank goodness you didn't decide to give it a Blancpain-esque etching on the case flanks though!

9. Dan S May 15, 2022

I remember now, this is that watch with the water-damaged dial. I really don't see any point in repairing the case-back, it will probably cost as much as a replacement and it will still look mediocre. If the OP has replaced the dial, he can also replace the case-back. If he is wearing the watch with the damaged dial, then the damaged case-back seems appropriate for a watch with a story.

10. repoman May 15, 2022

I'd leave it, laser welding it will not give a good result.

11. M'Bob May 15, 2022

Just to throw this unpopular point of view into the mix: wouldn’t his desire to mitigate that act he is unhappy with, and the ultimate result, also become part of the watch’s history?

12. Evitzee May 15, 2022

Leave it, your Speedmaster has a long personal history as a real tool watch, leave all the marks and scars as is. People love watches with a personal history, I'd suggest you write up the whole story behind its history, including some pics of its long journey through your life, and put them in a small binder. If you ever decide to sell the watch down the road make the history part of its sale, you'd be surprised how people will grab on to an objects personal history. Your story is compelling, especially for a teenager 'back in the day'.

AAAKK likes this.
  13. mbp May 15, 2022

That engraving is incredible. Keep it!

14. Azveld May 15, 2022

it reminds me of people who do body tuning by getting a tattoo and then regret it to the point of also going under the laser.

you have better luck than them because you can replace the part, if you find one! IMO this quest is worthy of the holy grail.
    or install a transparent background to admire the mechanism.

for the price, however, I think that the laser welding will cost much less than the replacement. the result will erase part of the hippocampus. to make everything homogeneous, it will be necessary to polish the entire surface to leave the impression that this polishing has been done several times during the life of the watch. Only a watermark part will remain and the rest will be smooth. it's not going to be attractive...
    it would give this kind of resultPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network.

15. lejaune May 15, 2022

Unless you are trying to sell it, I would say don't bother. It does not affect the function or accuracy of the watch.

16. Caracal25 May 15, 2022

Now that I've read your story I appreciate the case back and watch even more. I love "patina" watches and own several and while many of my watches came with a story, none of the them are my own.

I think that watch tells of an amazing journey and I wouldn't do a thing other than keep it running. As for collector value, if you ever decide to sell it, I'd love to have it and your story as part of my collection.

17. G-Web May 16, 2022

From my experience, LA Watchworks does excellent case refinishing work. I think it’s worth contacting them to see whether they can help.

Good luck,
    -GW

18. savka May 16, 2022

Zimmerman in PA

19. G-Web May 16, 2022

Also excellent.
    Cheers,
    -GW

savka likes this.
  20. DrSpock May 17, 2022

You should leave it, if they laser weld it, they will have to refurbish the caseback and that will look strange - a nice old school watch with a factory-new looking caseback. If it really annoys you, the best option would be to start the journey to find a replacement caseback.

Edited May 17, 2022