Just picked up my first vintage Speedy 145.022-74

Hello friends. I acquired a 1974 Speedy locally from a gentleman who inherited the watch from his late uncle. It has been used and abused, and it's quite dirty too, which I find intriguing because it could be an untouched example. I'll let you, the more experienced, judge it for yourself. Lume dims away in less than a minute after being exposed to black light. Additionally, based on what you see, could you provide a value so I can determine whether what I paid will make me happy or sad? ::popcorn::

Don’t hesitate to beat me up verbally if I screwed up. Thanks in advance for your time and expertise.
Edited:

Hi, congrats on your decision to acquire a vintage Speedmaster. The dial looks great with lume essentially intact. The movement doesn’t appear to have been mistreated and the bracelet appears original to the watch. The watch clearly does have issues though - and I wonder how it has developed corrosion between the lugs, in particular? I’d suggest you check out the Speedmaster101 price chart (with descriptions) for guidance on value. Guide prices are head only, i.e. excluding any bracelet.

https://speedmaster101.com/price-chart-2/

I think that's just gunk between the lugs. The dial is ok, but the rest of the watch is rough. I'd pick a value between FAIR and GOOD on the chart link above and add the value of the bracelet.

Hi, congrats on your decision to acquire a vintage Speedmaster. The dial looks great with lume essentially intact. The movement doesn’t appear to have been mistreated and the bracelet appears original to the watch. The watch clearly does have issues though - and I wonder how it has developed corrosion between the lugs, in particular? I’d suggest you check out the Speedmaster101 price chart (with descriptions) for guidance on value. Guide prices are head only, i.e. excluding any bracelet.

https://speedmaster101.com/price-chart-2/
Thank you. That’s just buildup of gunk. No corrosion thankfully

Not an expert and not yet a Speedy owner but I’d wear that with a big smile on my face.

I think it cleans up well and is nice Speedy. Lume is slightly greenish which is typical for this era and IMO looks fine. Show us the post-cleanup photos!
Feel free to share what you paid, no shame necessary! Enjoy the watch I think its very wearable and authentic.

Nice pick up. The dial and hands look good but the case and bezel are fair at best.
Overall I’d put it at around $3000 in the current market.

Lovely watch, that will clean up nicely. Thats exactly the type of watch i enjoy owning, can just wear it without much fear of banging it by excident. But also a nice dial and hands.

Hi ! Get rid of the dirt (a bit of work !), get it serviced, the case very lightly polished, the crystal polished or replaced and you end up with a very nice vintage watch !

Hi ! Get rid of the dirt (a bit of work !), get it serviced, the case very lightly polished, the crystal polished or replaced and you end up with a very nice vintage watch !
I would strongly disagree, dont polish the case! :whipped:

I would strongly disagree, dont polish the case! :whipped:
I mention "very lightly polish" .. ie cleaning, revival ... ravivage in French .. not more ..

That case is pretty poor. I can’t imagine a polish will make it worse but a good polish may improve it

Very nice find.

I would clean it and service it.

I have noted in the past that Speedmasters with heavy human stains, can have corrosion under all that gunk. Perhaps the gunk holds a corrosive fluid where a clean watch would not.

Not in every case, and I think this one may have escaped.

Keep us in the loop

I hate to say this but a very sympathetic light polishing would do this piece wonders.

looks to be all correct for the reference with pretty good dial and hands.

Wow the case had a tough life... But as many OF members here, I like that. I would not polish it.
The artificial light amplifies the small greenish color of the tritium from that era, pics under the sun would give justice to this grandma. Looking forward to seeing it in WRUW today...:cool:

By the way, never saw that amount of dirt on a watch....:eek:
Screenshot_20240106-174614_Chrome.jpg

Hello friends. I acquired a 1974 Speedy locally from a gentleman who inherited the watch from his late uncle. It has been used and abused, and it's quite dirty too, which I find intriguing because it could be an untouched example. I'll let you, the more experienced, judge it for yourself. Lume dims away in less than a minute after being exposed to black light. Additionally, based on what you see, could you provide a value so I can determine whether what I paid will make me happy or sad? ::popcorn::

Don’t hesitate to beat me up verbally if I screwed up. Thanks in advance for your time and expertise.

Nice pick up…congrats! I have a feeling you just beat me out for this piece (Ontario, Canada?). Enjoy!

Oh baby, if that was in Ontario, how did I miss it!?!

Congrats on a wonderful pickup! Personally, I love the condition of that case. I wouldn’t touch it - honest, consistent wear is something I always look for in a vintage timepiece. Why erase all the history? The lack of wear on the movement screws is also something I like to see. A service and a polish to that crystal will leave you with a very nice Speedy.

So OP you’ve had a lot of replies, how did you do price wise and what are your plans?

it's not perfect but that remains a good speedmaster even if the case is not very sharp. The good point is you can find the DNA first owner on it :whipped:

I think it will turn out very nicely once cleaned of all this dirt. The case is not perfect but I like it overall :) it was used as it should haveand it has a nice story to tell!