Forums Latest Members

Just found this seamaster cosmic today, advice needed

1. trixton Jul 1, 2020

I am a total newcomer to this forum so apologies for my complete lack of knowledge. I own an early 2000 rolex submariner and a late 90s seamaster. I have wanted a really vintage seamaster for a while now as a project and i found this today. It seems legit, the crown seems original, although looks a bit loose. The strap is original, however the face looks a bit off, I cant see the swiss made text at the bottom of the face. (is this always on all omegas?). The second hand also looks a bit short. I wondered if anyone would have some insight on what vintage and what kind of price I should be paying for a watch in this state. Apparently it is fine mechanically. The back is worn, but I can just make out 166.026.
    Due to lack of experience I don't know if it has been repaired badly, or something else.

Looking forwards to hearing from you and becoming part of this group.

Screenshot 2020-07-01 at 23.34.19.png Screenshot 2020-07-01 at 23.34.28.png Screenshot 2020-07-01 at 23.34.34.png Screenshot 2020-07-01 at 23.34.40.png Screenshot 2020-07-01 at 23.34.46.png
  2. Porker Jul 2, 2020

love the case back... are you going to restore it or leave as is?

trixton likes this.
  3. trixton Jul 2, 2020

I am going to leave as is. I am a little concerned about the state of the watch and if it is a a reasonable project for a complete novice. Also what cosmetically needs to be done. Ie is the second hand non original, and does the lack of Swiss made on the face an issue. All guidence in this would be very gratefully accepted.

4. Biezmez Jul 2, 2020

Hi
    I thought that the second hand seemed a bit short, but looking at some other watches of a similar model it seems like this is correct. My main concerns would be the fact the watch seems to have had a hard life. It needs a good clean and a service. Is there a problem with the crown as to why its sticking out or it just hasn't been pushed in correctly? Also things like they haven't bothered to fit the correct length spring bar on the clasp and that the bracelet has been stretched around the end links at the top makes me think it's been roughly treated.
    That said my main concern would be the dial. Potentially a new cyrstal/repolished crystal would only add to highlighting any flaws with the dial. Its a bit difficult to see from the pictures but it does look as though there's quite a few small scratches etc. on the dial. If you're OK with that I'm sure it could clean up OK, but the faults on the dial would certainly bug me and reduce my joy of looking at the watch.

What's the asking price?

trixton likes this.
  5. trixton Jul 2, 2020

Thank you for your insight. The asking price is a little under $200. Considering the condition, and the amount of work needed is this reasonable?

6. trixton Jul 2, 2020

Do you have an idea of the age of the watch?

7. Biezmez Jul 2, 2020

trixton likes this.
  8. Biezmez Jul 2, 2020

I would say it's reasonable for this watch with the original bracelet, although by the time a service is factored in you'll probably looking at having spent the best part of $500(perhaps more, as I've recently seen some very high service quotes from the US). Once you start getting into it for that kind of money you should be able to pick up a much nicer cosmic that I'm sure you'll be much happier with in the long run.

To cut to the chase, I would pass on it purely because of the issues with dial. Had the dial been in really nice condition but the watch still had the other issues it has, I would have said go for it. For me it all comes down to the condition of the dial on this one.

I'm sure there are other members that may disagree, and would perhaps view this as a reasonable parts watch(especially for the bracelet), but that's my opinion on the watch.

Best og luck whatever you decide.

connieseamaster, trixton and STANDY like this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 2, 2020

For just under $200 I would snap that up just for the bracelet ;)

Just buy It before someone else does.

A service and you have a nice Seamaster on bracelet for $500 :thumbsup:

DaveK, ChrisN, ConElPueblo and 2 others like this.
  10. DON Jul 2, 2020

For $200. Flip the average bracelet for $125 and watch costs $75.00. Flip the watch for $250 and let someone else worry about it.

Use money and buy something better

The art of the deal

DON

11. trixton Jul 2, 2020

Thank you all for you guidance and insight. I am going to buy it.
    It’s not too expensive and i want to have a restoration project. And as you say, I can always flip the bracelet for 125 if I can’t do it . With this in mind is there a good starter beginner watch restorer kit that anyone can recommend? Thanks again all you in for has been invaluable

12. DON Jul 2, 2020

This isn't a puzzle or a model kit. If you mean watch tools.

Spring bar tool to remove the bracelet

One piece case so need to to pull the crown out to time setting. Then a stronger pull to separate the two part stem. Then press remainder of stem back in.

Not sure on the crystal and if a crystal removal tool will work on a pressure fit crystal. If not a pressure fit. Should work. Seen others where compressed air pops it off.

Need to remove it to get the movement out.

More tools after that - to be continued when you get the watch

DON

13. trixton Jul 2, 2020

Thanks Don, as I said I am a complete novice. So apologies for my lack of technical knowledge. I should be picking up the watch tomorrow and will keep you all informed

Biezmez likes this.
  14. wilderbeast Jul 3, 2020

Tbh, I’m not sure this is a great watch to begin on if you’re a novice, because they are tricky to open up. Money spent getting it serviced might be a better way forward, but I hope you do buy it. These are great watches for the money.

trixton and Biezmez like this.
  15. Sherbie Jul 3, 2020

My second Vintage Omega was a Seamaster Cosmic. Only cost £100, but the dial had to be changed at a service about 8 years ago now - i think the replacement dial cost £120 from Omega. Certainly looks nicer, but looking at the photos i took recently, i notice that one of the lume plots is missing ( didnt spot this in 2012 after the service - doh!)

Nice watches to wear, and i certainly think the second hand should be longer

8D2AB2DF-84A7-4418-A504-7513A93F4CBE.jpeg 31377EFC-6B37-4DBC-A628-7F81D9CDE7DC.jpeg

16. chipsotoole Jul 3, 2020

200 with original Omega brick bracelet? a barjin! great starter watch....very under appreciated...