Joining the club – 145.022-69

It’s been a trying year but I had a bit of a windfall and ended up splurging. With @pdxleaf’s counsel and coaching I found a -69 that checked all my boxes: seemingly original, nice lume, nice bezel. @pdxleaf spotted the signs of polishing that I missed but at around $4500 it seemed like a good buy.

I’ve had it for a couple of weeks and haven’t taken it off except to sleep, shower, and of course to perform lawncare duties. I was able to find a 1171 bracelet to put on it and I’m really liking the combination. As usual, the flaws like the dinged bezel disappear on the wrist, one of the silver linings for those of us with CSS syndrome (can’t see shit).

In the past two weeks I’ve become more conscious of how regularly I find myself in watch-ravaging situations—up under the dashboard of my rickety car, assembling/disassembling any number of sharp-edged metallic components, carrying furniture through narrow doorways. I’ve already added some scratches to the crystal; maybe I’ll look back in anguish that I didn’t learn my lesson.

IMG_2223.jpeg
IMG_2221.jpeg
IMG_2220.jpeg
IMG_2216.jpeg
IMG_2203.jpeg
IMG_2202.jpeg
IMG_2232.jpeg
IMG_2201.jpeg
IMG_2200.jpeg
IMG_2198.jpeg
IMG_2196.jpeg
IMG_2194.jpeg

Like 36
Nice find! Congrats!

Is that a 1116 (with wrong endlinks?) I spy in the last few photos?

Like 1
Very nice! The 145.022-69 is one of my favourite references, and this is a great example. Thanks for sharing and enjoy wearing it!

Like 2
Very nice!
Being an old car guy myself, I must admit a few dings have been added to my watches over the years, doing emergency roadside repairs etc
But watch’s are meant to be worn

Like 1
Good wearable watch! Wear it well, get some polywatch and don't worry too much about the dings that come with life. I have a similar one, and I have added more than a few scratches to it working on the tractor etc. Heck, Ive realized it was on my wrist when I was elbow deep in a sump pump (highly discouraged btw! and yes, mine is well maintained and regularly pressure tested). If you want to make it your daily, and not worry about dings too much, just swap the bezel for a modern one and put the DON away for safe keeping.

Like 4
I also have a 145.022.69 and it is also one of my favorites along with my triple 6 Seadweller in my rotation. Enjoy and know the scratches are the character you've added to your watch. :thumbsup:

Like 2
Very nice one! Thats the reason I never go for museum-box-and-paper ones. I wear them no matter what...

Like 1
Well done! What a dial!!!!:p
Love these kind of speedies...:thumbsup:

Like 1
Nice watch, and it sounds like you got a good deal as well. I have a -69 also … it’s one of the “grab and go” watches on my nightstand. It wears its age pretty well — a lot better than I do, anyway — and wearing it always makes me smile.

Like 1
Congrats! Lovely watch!

Like 1
Yay!! You finally got one! Congrats on finding the right one.
Just when I thought I’d finally swear off this terrible hobby.

Like 1
Congrats! Echoing the others, lovely example and the dial is really wonderful! It might just be my eyes, but is the stepped center portion of the dial starting go a bit brown? 10th photo is where I noticed it but could be wrong. Nice touch it if is and still great if it's not but I was curious.

Like 1
Congrats! Echoing the others, lovely example and the dial is really wonderful! It might just be my eyes, but is the stepped center portion of the dial starting go a bit brown? 10th photo is where I noticed it but could be wrong. Nice touch it if is and still great if it's not but I was curious.
I don’t see any hints of brown, especially in the sunlight where I think it would be revealed. Then again there does seem to be a kind of bronze cast to the dial, if it’s not just my imagination. Anyway, it works for me.

Like 1
Congrats !
That is a fine looking watch from a good year !! like mine that landed yesterday after service. Didnt know i had CSS .. but to avoid scratches and polishing a crystal a use a Savvie clear protection sticker ( ebay ) on the glass. Old style - narrow feet logo crystals are very hard to find.
And as said above ; do take care of that bezel if it will be your daily !
P1040088.JPG P1030964 2.JPG

Like 4