Forums Latest Members

JLC Reverso: stable in value??

1. MarkusT Nov 27, 2021

What do you think?
    Is a High End JLC Reverso (Tribute Nonantième), a limited Edition because of the 90th Anniversary of the Reverso, in pink gold with a jump hour complication (first time used in a Reverso Model), is this Masterpiece stable in value?
    Retail Price in the JLC Boutique is 40k US$, not a cheap watch, but something special.
    I like the watch very much, but my only concern is, that it will not be stable in value, so what do you think??
    Will the value drop like a stone in the water after some years?
    Thanks for your opinions! tempImagejijGXc.png tempImagewbNOMC.png tempImage5ykmS9.png tempImageceeDdy.png tempImageX80tpr.png tempImagejijGXc.png tempImagewbNOMC.png tempImage5ykmS9.png tempImageceeDdy.png tempImageX80tpr.png

lindo likes this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 27, 2021

JLC in general are not the easiest to resell or unload as it’s a small market and if you try to get rid of it quickly you will likely lose a whole lot. I nearly bought a JLC Master Tourbillon for 12k usd as the owner needed cash and there were no other takers. In the end I walked away not him because I was worried about servicing cost on it.

3. Davidt Nov 27, 2021

Probably.
    Value retention/investment etc is relatively new on the back of Rolex and Patek demand. You should buy a watch assuming you’ll lose money and if you don’t it a bonus.

thelinendial, Larry S, lindo and 5 others like this.
  4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 27, 2021

I haven’t meet many buyers of new ones (somewhere around one) but l have run into many buyers looking for bargains on a used one. Everyone likes them but……….

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 27, 2021

I love them… used and depreciated.

6. shishy www.hpmor.com Nov 27, 2021

They do fairly well in France and parts of Europe but everywhere else there are deals to be had in the grey market. Personally I think the new reversos are terrific value and becoming increasingly collectible (as if they weren't already).

thelinendial, Larry S and MarkusT like this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 27, 2021

Thanks for writing my answer!

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 27, 2021

I’ll also mention that of all the parent companies, Richemont is probably the most greedy and customer hostile by a significant margin. That isn’t to say the others are saints, they’re just not as awful as Richemont to deal with.

lindo likes this.
  9. Vizard Nov 28, 2021

I've owned Richemont group watches and never had a moment's trouble with the brands.

I've also had some contact with JLC's customer service department recently and found them to be great. Over and above what I expected.

I am no Richemont fanboi, merely speaking from personal experience.

10. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 28, 2021

Do you like it? That is what really matters.

I would guess it would lose 50% in value as you walk out of the shop but then be pretty stable from then on.

Edited Nov 29, 2021
    thelinendial and Dan S like this.
  11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 28, 2021

If this is to be a permanent resident of your watch box, go for it. Otherwise the depreciation is a factor to consider. Grand complications like this make hold value a bit better.

12. NT931 Nov 28, 2021

+1. Both of my Reversos were bought pre-owned too.

thelinendial likes this.
  13. Evitzee Nov 28, 2021

Swatch Group or Richemont, have not had any real issues with either as far as after sales service has been concerned.

As far as JLC prices are concerned, they are like most high end brands, they will lose a lot of the cost immediately. Buy it if you like it, just be aware of the financial aspects.

Edited Nov 28, 2021
  14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 28, 2021

I don’t know anyone who has bought a new one. I’m sure they exist, but it’s a bit like higher end Citroens in that I’m aware they sell to someone new for a lot of money but I’ve never met anyone that admitted to paying retail

Togri v. 2.0 likes this.
  15. cristos71 Nov 28, 2021

In the crisis times around 2009 my local AD had a couple really good sales and I bought a then €15K 18kt JLC Master Compressor Chrono at 60% discount. TBH that's the main reason I bought it, it was just too good of a deal to pass up.

Anyway, it didn't really gel with me being quite a heavy, clunky thing and I really can't stand deployants so a year or two later I thought I'd move it on. It proved very hard to get rid off, as good as unsellable and IIRC I eventually traded it away at what worked out to be 70% discount to retail.

Although the Reverso is a completely different beast I can imagine a similar problem down the line if bought at anywhere near to the retail price. As others have said either buy at a massive discount or look for a used example.

16. NGO1 Nov 29, 2021

for 40grands, I'll go Lange or Patek, if value retention is priority. (even Lange is questionable)
    I have a mental cap for brands. My willingness to JLC is somewhere around ~10grands.

thelinendial likes this.
  17. sonicosa Nov 29, 2021

I bought a Reverso at retail -10% to mark the birth of my son. Never going to sell it, so resale value doesn't matter to me. Hopefully he'll enjoy it someday if he gets into watches (which I'm going to do my best to ensure he does ;))

thelinendial, cicindela and Larry S like this.