JLC Gift Conundrum

Whatever the wife says is the right answer. 30+ years of marriage and took longer than 5 years for me to figure that out.

I love the reverso, its the watch I always wanted but will never buy. I can dream.
Don’t write off the idea. There are many styles and sizes of Reverso out there, after all they have been in production for around 90 years and yes while the new prices are eye watering, with care second hand models can be found for much more sensible money. I always promised myself one and luckily for me a tatty white gold Duo dropped in my lap at a price I couldn’t ignore. One admittedly expensive service later and I have a treasure I’ll never part with. Without getting too specific, it’s cost me around a third of the cost of a new gold Duoface, less even than the cost of the cheapest steel Monoface manual wind model. It can be done with patience.
Edited:

Like 1
Don’t sell the watch, keep it and enjoy it…Never sell anything the wife (or wife’s parents) bought you…even asking the wife will be crazy in my book…Selling a gift to commemorate your wedding ::screwloose:: your crazy man.

I speak and understand wifey.

Don't even mention it to the wife…….Trust me, in 10 years from now you will thank me.;)

(I go a month without wearing the $260 Luminox the Mrs bought me 15 years ago at least one day or afternoon to volleyball…..she mentions it :whistling:)
Edited:

Like 9
Only speaking for myself, I would keep the watch and work to acquire a Reverso by selling off others in my collection.

For me, this comes down to three competing factors:
1) I'm subscribing very hard to a one in, one out policy (in fact, more like two out, one in lately);
Great policy for watches you’re buying yourself, but this watch was a gift from someone else… to mark an important occasion.

It comes down to whether someone is sentimental or not. I would venture a guess that the kind of person who buys their son-in-laws commemorative watches is sentimental… or they wouldn’t do it in the first place.

For me, I wouldn’t ask the FIL or the wife… hold onto it for sentimental value, and stop seeing it as a part of your ‘collection’.
Edited:

Like 2
I remember discussing engagement rings with my wife before we got engaged.

I made a (what I thought was a very clever) point that it doesn’t matter what you spend on an engagement ring as the minute it goes on the finger it becomes worthless. You are never going to sell it – it just sits there and the money is forever gone.

It isn’t worthless, I was told, it is priceless – because of what it signifies… We are both right imo.

Your FIL clearly values the process of buying his ‘new son’ a watch to mark the very special occasion of marrying one of his daughters. I suspect it’s a source of pride for him, even if he doesn’t say that out loud to anyone. The watch he bought you has no financial value anymore, but it is priceless.

stop seeing it as a part of your ‘collection’.

This is how I view the two watches I've received as gifts from my wife. I have a watch collection, and I have an additional two watches that are out of category :cool:

I can wiggle out of the FIL angle, but it’s the wife that I’m stuck. Every anniversary you’ll “miss” the watch. If you wore it on wedding day, you’ll grow old with it. It’s the safest way to not-die in the middle of the night, or suddenly fall out of a cruise; out of a high-rise; accidentally drunk a gallon of automotive coolant.

On that note, let me introduce you do my wedding present from my loving wife.

IMG_3917.jpeg

Like 3
All good advice. The watch I have historically worn for every major (birth of my two kids) and minor (date nights, nights out for friends, more casual parties) occasion, and the watch that anyone that has ever noticed I wear a watch would associate with me is my Rolex GMT 16760. I'm scratching my head to think if I've ever even worn the MUT on my anniversary, and I'm thinking that it was probably the GMT most if not all times.

Based on the comments, I'm leaning towards keeping the MUT and just scuttling the thought of a switcheroo... that said, the 50% (total guess) chance that none of the other parties would care (or would encourage me to get what I actually want) does leave me wondering... if I did get the Reverso I would 100% have it engraved on the back. This is actually one of my main beefs with the MUT - no room for an engraving to commemorate the occasion.

Like 2
Based on the comments, I'm leaning towards keeping the MUT and just scuttling the thought of a switcheroo... that said, the 50% (total guess) chance that none of the other parties would care (or would encourage me to get what I actually want) does leave me wondering... if I did get the Reverso I would 100% have it engraved on the back. This is actually one of my main beefs with the MUT - no room for an engraving to commemorate the occasion.
Yes, absolutely you should get the Reverso engraved, but most people don't personalize their solid back Reversos, which is a shame.
Both my gold Grand Taille Reverso from Nov 1992 and my wife's Gran Sport Reverso from Oct 2001 are engraved. The Gran Sport just came back from JLC from a full service. My Art Deco enamelled monogram was done by JLC in Switzerland, my wife's was done by J.C. Randell who was JLC's official master engraver in the US for about 20 years, he retired in 2015.
Edited:

Like 5
All good advice. The watch I have historically worn for every major (birth of my two kids) and minor (date nights, nights out for friends, more casual parties) occasion, and the watch that anyone that has ever noticed I wear a watch would associate with me is my Rolex GMT 16760. I'm scratching my head to think if I've ever even worn the MUT on my anniversary, and I'm thinking that it was probably the GMT most if not all times.

However difficult it might be, just talk to your wife about it and see what she says. If she is even a tiny bit unhappy with your proposal you should keep it.

You want the Reverso and you will get one sooner or later even if it means suspending your one in one out self imposed rules for a little bit.

Like 1
Yes, absolutely you should get the Reverso engraved, but most people don't personalize their solid back Reversos, which is a shame.
Both my gold Grand Taille Reverso from Nov 1992 and my wife's Gran Sport Reverso from Oct 2001 are engraved. The Gran Sport just came back from JLC from a full service. My Art Deco enamelled monogram was done by JLC in Switzerland, my wife's was done by J.C. Randell who was JLC's official master engraver in the US for about 20 years, he retired in 2015.
The monogram looks incredible. Thanks for sharing!

I'm in the sell it and buy what you really want camp. I did this recently, although not a gift from my father in law, but a work colleagues gift. The watch I bought is now defacto the gift I was given as I wouldn't have it without selling the original.

I haven’t read the whole thread and responses, but why not consider:

- keep the watch and gift it to one of your kid when getting married
- buy the reverso

This way, everybody is happy. Except your bank account of course.

Another vote for keep it and finance the Reverso another way, perhaps to commemorate a later anniversary. Let your kids sell it if they want to when they inherit it.

Would not sell it or broach the subject with the wife. Unless... you somehow get her to make the suggestion.

Like 3
Would not sell it or broach the subject with the wife.

I’m very much in the don’t sell to buy camp.

In fact to be absolutely honest I’m in the
“I can’t believe you’re even thinking about it” camp.

I don’t know your Mrs or her pa but the classic relationship between a daughter and her father leads me to believe that even if she doesn’t say it she’ll be thinking
“what? You want to sell the watch that my dad bought you for our wedding?!!”

On the other hand, you could mention it to her - and then sell it after the divorce....;)

Like 4
That would be lose-lose as I’m fairly confident he wouldn’t be getting a Reverso after the divorce.

Like 3
I wouldn't sell it. Even if it doesn't matter to the FIL and the wife, it is still a nice gesture to let them know that you treasure this very generous gift. Plus as mentioned by some of the members, second hand Reversos can sometimes be had at quite a deal if you wait for it. So I don't think there is a huge need to fund one by selling off a memento like that.

I’m very much in the don’t sell to buy camp.

In fact to be absolutely honest I’m in the
“I can’t believe you’re even thinking about it” camp.

I don’t know your Mrs or her pa but the classic relationship between a daughter and her father leads me to believe that even if she doesn’t say it she’ll be thinking
“what? You want to sell the watch that my dad bought you for our wedding?!!”

On the other hand, you could mention it to her - and then sell it after the divorce....;)
It’s my Scottish heritage - I hate waste and I’m always looking for a deal…

Like 1