Forums Latest Members

JLC cal. 886 circa 1970 advice needed.

1. Zdzislaw Apr 15, 2021

Dear OF, I have no prior experience with JLC. Can you please let me know, what do you think about this piece?

JLC hand wind cal. 886 17J. Ref. E21003 1004319
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Good:
    1. Dial - very nice texture, guilloche. Interesting and eye catching.
    2. Case - unpolished in very nice condition with exception of the single lug, and scratches on the back. To my knowledge it should be opened from the front by removing the crystal first.
    3. Movement - supposed to be serviced 1 month ago. From what I have read my assumption is that it is reliable, can anyone verify?
    Bad:
    1. Dial - corrosion visible on multiple markers, and applied JLC logo.
    2. Service - no prior experience, so how much it would cost?
    Ugly:
    1. I hope it will not be the price. What would you say would be honest price?

Anything else I am missing?

Any help much apricated and thank you for your feedback in advance.

2. grailwatch Apr 23, 2021

I know a lot about Jaeger-LeCoultre but I know nothing about this watch or this movement. Cal 886 is not in Ranfft, and I've never come across it! It's not in any of my docs, and most Jaeger-LeCoultre Cal. 88x movements are automatic. So maybe it's related to them?

I don't like the tool mark on the back (makes me worried about the watchmaker who serviced it) but any watchmaker should be able to service a simple movement like this.

The style is very 70s with the "blue jeans" dial and square case. Given that the dial says just "LeCoultre" I'm guessing it was originally sold in the USA and might even have been a domestic (not Le Sentier) model!

I wouldn't buy it.