Forums Latest Members

JLC bracelet/clasp removal question

1. jspdl Jan 20, 2024

So I have a vintage JLC with an all-metal bracelet, and I'm wondering how to remove the clasp (noob question); are these pins removeable? And if so, how?

Secondly, I have found other versions of fold over clasps (eg in the link below and in the 3rd photo), but does anyone know where I can find replacement/alternative pieces for the other side of the clasp, that the fold over part would actually fold over (the second photo, sorry I don't know what this is called)? Thanks!

https://www.esslinger.com/watch-band-clasp-solid-link-fold-over-single-channel-clasps-series-302/

IMG_3279.jpeg IMG_3276.jpeg IMG_3282.jpeg
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 20, 2024

You're going to need a good jeweler/goldsmith for both removal of the pins and fabricating the end link you want, like don't try this at home.

Out of curiosity, what are you trying to accomplish?

watch3s likes this.
  3. jspdl Jan 20, 2024

I'm trying to reduce the length of each side of the clasp to shorten the overall bracelet without the more destructive option of having a jeweler/goldsmith cut/remove metal from each side of the bracelet. Unless you have any other suggestions?!

4. Evitzee Jan 20, 2024

Those are rivets and are not designed to be removed. Fiddling with the clasp won't gain you much, if you really need a shorter length cutting the bracelet is the process.

watch3s likes this.
  5. jspdl Jan 20, 2024

But if they can be removed and a new clasp attached, I'm only looking to remove about 1 cm, so I figure this would be a more reversible (and potentially easier / less expensive) method than cutting, no?

6. mikeo1 Jan 24, 2024

any chance you could just move the pin in the last pic towards the bracelet pin bu un/re solder?

7. jspdl Jan 25, 2024

I think no, because there has to be enough room between that pin and the bracelet to accommodate the size of the clasp, but that's why my thought was to swap to a shorter clasp, and then also shorten that piece with the pin...