J ai besoin d’aide pour identifier cette montre

Posts
42
Likes
1
I wouldn’t let the fact the dial has been refinished bother me. Who wants a pristine, unworn heirloom handed down to them? A watch that lived a life in your grandfathers (and fathers?) wrist, that could tell a thousand family stories would be just as valuable to me.
 
Posts
42
Likes
1
Thanks; my father never wore it—only my grandfather did.
 
Posts
42
Likes
1
I went to Fournier’s jewelry store this Tuesday—they’ve been in business since 1940 and are experts on vintage watches. He replaced the O-ring; he explained that the old one had stretched over time—whic
is normal—and had become slightly too large, so we put in a new one, along with new spring bars and a new RIOS1931 leather strap.
I kept the old parts, and he told me it’s a really beautiful watch.
 
Posts
6,437
Likes
31,620
I went to Fournier’s jewelry store this Tuesday—they’ve been in business since 1940 and are experts on vintage watches. He replaced the O-ring; he explained that the old one had stretched over time—whic
is normal—and had become slightly too large, so we put in a new one, along with new spring bars and a new RIOS1931 leather strap.
I kept the old parts, and he told me it’s a really beautiful watch.
So what did they say about the dial?
 
Posts
1,582
Likes
10,339
This post is a real pain to read. You all deserve credit... 😵‍💫
 
Posts
42
Likes
1
I didn't ask the jeweler to check if it had been repainted—I really don't know. I'm going to visit a vintage jewelry specialist tomorrow; it's a bit of a drive—about three and a half hours—but it'll be a nice little outing with my partner. We'll talk it over.
I'll get the straight story, haha. And I'm not in a position to contradict the people replying to me; it's kind of them to look into my request. Stay tuned—I'll let you know if the jeweler is available to check it in person rather than just looking at a photo. A photo is just a photo; seeing it in person is the best approach for this situation. Given the comments I've received, I'm going to double-check everything, seeing as I have so little knowledge in this field.
 
Posts
42
Likes
1
Thank you. Plus, I don't speak English, so I have to translate everything.
 
Posts
242
Likes
700
Thank you for your help. I plan to visit a vintage watch specialist in person and show them this beautiful watch—along with its two original cases—to confirm whether or not the dial has been repainted (Ref. No. 2759/2761). The movement inside is very clean, suggesting it was well maintained; my father told me before he passed away that he was leaving me this valuable watch—an heirloom from my grandfather, who was very proud of it. I am grateful today for this wonderful gift, which I received in 2011 and have kept carefully stored ever since.

Well, whatever the jeweller says, it sounds like the watch has meant a lot to your family and I, for one, hope you keep it and wear it often in good health.
 
Posts
242
Likes
700
I'm going to visit a vintage jewelry specialist tomorrow; it's a bit of a drive—about three and a half hours—but it'll be a nice little outing with my partner. We'll talk it over.
@RT I hope that your trip was pleasant - did the jeweller happen to provide any information about the watch?
 
Posts
42
Likes
1
Yes, the jeweler is an Omega specialist. After inspection, he confirmed that the paint is original and the case is authentic; he described it as a very fine, valuable watch from that era—and the fact that it comes with both cases makes it extremely rare
 
Posts
18,746
Likes
38,897
So many mysteries here.

If the watch movement did ever live in the Star case, why doesn't the movement have a US Import mark of OXG stamped on it?

Why is the re-printed dial done with "Swiss" in the US style, not "Swiss Made" as it would be in the Swiss case (made by Buser?).

How many other Omega watches come with two disparate cases as being portrayed here?

the fact that it comes with both cases makes it extremely rare
That is true, so rare in fact that this is the only example I've ever seen.

Yes, the jeweler is an Omega specialist. After inspection, he confirmed that the paint is original and the case is authentic; he described it as a very fine, valuable watch from that era

You have come to the foremost Omega collector forum and have been given good advice which you seem inclined to ignore.
Your "Omega specialist" is either not as expert as they declare, or they are a very nice person and are telling you what you want to hear.

I shall not comment any further on this one.
 
Posts
42
Likes
1
The American origin of the case: Star Watch Case Company
The inscription in the center reads "STAR WATCH CASE COMPANY" and features their star-shaped logo. It was a case manufacturer based in Michigan, USA.
In the 1940s and 1950s, Omega shipped its uncased movements from Switzerland to America, and companies like Star manufactured the cases locally. This made it possible to avoid the exorbitant import duties levied on complete watches. It serves as indisputable proof of historical authenticity.
 
Posts
42
Likes
1
This Star Watch Case Co. case is an integral part of your watch's original history in the North American market. The fact that you have the complete original package—Swiss movement, pristine dial, rare Naiad crown, and this period-correct American case—restores the watch's full significance.
 
Posts
42
Likes
1
100% authentic vintage Omega case for the US market (to bypass 1950s customs duties).
• Details: Gold-filled case body with attractive drilled lugs. Screw-down steel case back, Starbrite type (Ref. W2295607), featuring the official "Logo 2."
 
Posts
42
Likes
1
Hello. I respect your comment, but I also respect the comments I’ve received from your forum. I’m no expert, and I appreciate your help more than you might think. I’m trying to understand this wonderful treasure I received from my father—which he got from his father—a beautiful heirloom that I never really paid attention to until today. Now I’m trying to learn more, and I respect everyone’s comments. Thank you all.
 
Posts
42
Likes
1
This is very important information that confirms a common practice among importers of the time.

In the 1950s, due to very high import duties and taxes on gold (particularly in Canada and the United States), Omega often shipped its movements and dials bare. Local distributors would then assemble the watch in locally produced cases or offer the customer a choice of finishes.
Having the complete set (and its second original case) adds real historical value.
How to prepare the shipment or
 
Posts
42
Likes
1
Here is the information I have on this watch—please see the message I sent—regarding the gold case and the export markings from the 1950s. Bye
 
Posts
403
Likes
998
I suspect a healthy dose of AI slop. No watch has ever been delivered with a "second case'