J ai besoin d’aide pour identifier cette montre

Posts
42
Likes
1
So many mysteries here.

If the watch movement did ever live in the Star case, why doesn't the movement have a US Import mark of OXG stamped on it?

Why is the re-printed dial done with "Swiss" in the US style, not "Swiss Made" as it would be in the Swiss case (made by Buser?).

How many other Omega watches come with two disparate cases as being portrayed here?


That is true, so rare in fact that this is the only example I've ever seen.



You have come to the foremost Omega collector forum and have been given good advice which you seem inclined to ignore.
Your "Omega specialist" is either not as expert as they declare, or they are a very nice person and are telling you what you want to hear.

I shall not comment any further on this one.
So many mysteries here.

If the watch movement did ever live in the Star case, why doesn't the movement have a US Import mark of OXG stamped on it?

Why is the re-printed dial done with "Swiss" in the US style, not "Swiss Made" as it would be in the Swiss case (made by Buser?).

How many other Omega watches come with two disparate cases as being portrayed here?


That is true, so rare in fact that this is the only example I've ever seen.



You have come to the foremost Omega collector forum and have been given good advice which you seem inclined to ignore.
Your "Omega specialist" is either not as expert as they declare, or they are a very nice person and are telling you what you want to hear.

I shall not comment any further on this one.
So many mysteries here.

If the watch movement did ever live in the Star case, why doesn't the movement have a US Import mark of OXG stamped on it?

Why is the re-printed dial done with "Swiss" in the US style, not "Swiss Made" as it would be in the Swiss case (made by Buser?).

How many other Omega watches come with two disparate cases as being portrayed here?


That is true, so rare in fact that this is the only example I've ever seen.



You have come to the foremost Omega collector forum and have been given good advice which you seem inclined to ignore.
Your "Omega specialist" is either not as expert as they declare, or they are a very nice person and are telling you what you want to hear.

I shall not comment any further on this one.
This is very important information that confirms a common practice among importers of the time.

In the 1950s, due to very high import duties and taxes on gold (particularly in Canada and the United States), Omega often shipped its movements and dials bare. Local distributors would then assemble the watch in locally produced cases or offer the customer a choice of finishes.
Having the complete set (and its second original case) adds real historical value.
How to prepare the shipment or
So many mysteries here.

If the watch movement did ever live in the Star case, why doesn't the movement have a US Import mark of OXG stamped on it?

Why is the re-printed dial done with "Swiss" in the US style, not "Swiss Made" as it would be in the Swiss case (made by Buser?).

How many other Omega watches come with two disparate cases as being portrayed here?


That is true, so rare in fact that this is the only example I've ever seen.



You have come to the foremost Omega collector forum and have been given good advice which you seem inclined to ignore.
Your "Omega specialist" is either not as expert as they declare, or they are a very nice person and are telling you what you want to hear.

I shall not comment any further on this one.
I suspect a healthy dose of AI slop. No watch has ever been delivered with a "second case'
I suspect a healthy dose of AI slop. No watch has ever been delivered with a "second case'
 
Posts
42
Likes
1
Hello everyone—sorry, I didn't realize the discussion would go this way. As I mentioned, I inherited this beautiful Omega (ref. 2759/2761), which came with two cases: one silver and one gold. It was manufactured in 1951. I was simply trying to find out the approximate value of the watch. I also apologize for any trouble this has caused in the comments
 
Posts
13,628
Likes
18,979
I also apologize for any trouble this has caused in the comments
There is no trouble here. I'm afraid that some of the information is being lost in the translation from English to French and back again.

I think that the general consensus here is that the Omega Seamaster is in its original Swiss made steel case. The other case you have is an American made gold-filled watch case from the Star Watch Case Co.

However, Omega licensed cases in the US were generally dual branded. In other words, they would have both the Omega trademark and the name of the US company who made it inside. Here is a typical example from Star:



In my opinion, it is highly unlikely that the other case would fit the Seamaster movement or dial. It is what it is, a spare wrist watch case. If the watchmaker can determine the dimensions of what originally fit in there, you could seek out a movement and dial combination that would fit.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa
 
Posts
42
Likes
1
Thank you very much for your comment.
The original movement fits into my gold case. My father always told me that Grandpa would occasionally swap cases, so it is designed to fit this one too—which answers the question of compatibility. That is why he chose this watch as his inheritance; my father used to say that my grandfather wore it with pride.
It holds sentimental value for my family, but in your opinion, does it also have value for a collector? Thanks again.
 
Posts
3,613
Likes
7,837
I think the watch in steel case has moderate value for a collector as it is a fairly uncommon reference 2761, with correct movement and crown. Several very experienced OF members have given different opinions regarding dial originality, so to extent that remains an issue it would lower collector value. I would accept it as original but acknowledge there are some font irregularities. And I am much less experienced than others who have given opinion already.

I do not think the extra case adds collector value.

I think it has much more value as a family heirloom and I hope you will keep it and wear it.

Here is an EB listing of dame reference with different dial
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/324813000107

And a video about 2761 reference
 
This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Posts
3,646
Likes
7,755
Puh!
I need a strong coffee now or something even stronger...
What an exhausting thread ::facepalm1::
 
Posts
42
Likes
1
Mac-Omega, if you don't like it, you simply don't have to read my posts—not exactly a professional comment. Thanks to those who helped me understand things about the inheritance I received. I’ll do you a favor and leave this group; also, thanks to SOG53 for the video
Puh!
I need a strong coffee now or something even stronger...
What an exhausting thread ::facepalm1::
 
Posts
42
Likes
1
I think the watch in steel case has moderate value for a collector as it is a fairly uncommon reference 2761, with correct movement and crown. Several very experienced OF members have given different opinions regarding dial originality, so to extent that remains an issue it would lower collector value. I would accept it as original but acknowledge there are some font irregularities. And I am much less experienced than others who have given opinion already.

I do not think the extra case adds collector value.

I think it has much more value as a family heirloom and I hope you will keep it and wear it.

Here is an EB listing of dame reference with different dial
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/324813000107

And a video about 2761 reference
 
This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Posts
242
Likes
700
I’ll do you a favor and leave this group
That would be a shame. I, for one, hope you stay and continue to develop your interest in not just your grandfather's watch but others as well