Issue with omega speedmaster 3594.50

I recently purchased an omega speedmaster 3594.50 from eBay and the watch has an issue where it stops working 3 or 4 times a day. The second hand stops at the same exact spot at the 20 second mark. If I tap the glass, wind the movement, initiate the Chronograph, or change the time, the watch moves again. Is this a typical issue that can be fixed without having to do a full service? I’m debating whether to return or repair the watch but leaning towards repairing (sending it to Omega to service would be my last resort) since I purchased for a pretty reasonable price. Any advice would be appreciated thanks

Your watch is at least 20 years old. When was the last documented full service? If you don't know you should assume it needs one. If you like the condition of the watch, and you got it at a good price, and if the addition of a full service still makes it attractive cost wise, then go that route.
Edited:

If you don't have some record of recent maintenance, then I would expect that all it needs is a full servicing. Which, as mentioned above, if you got a decent price will be infinitely more manageable than returning it and finding another that has been recently serviced.

Sending it to Omega is certainly an option, but there are a number of reputable watchmakers out there - some are Omega Forum members - who are fully Omega certified, with parts accounts, who can service this semi-vintage watch, and ensure it receives the treatment it deserves!

I am a big fan of the 3594.50 and mine says "hello!" =).

IMG_7743.jpg

Thanks - the seller doesn’t have the service records of the watch so yes I would have to assume the watch hasn’t been serviced recently.

I was hoping to repair the watch now (it’s in relatively good condition) and wait for the full servicing later once the watch is well worn.

nice 3594.50 - is that the stock or president style bracelet?

Thanks - the seller doesn’t have the service records of the watch so yes I would have to assume the watch hasn’t been serviced recently.

I was hoping to repair the watch now (it’s in relatively good condition) and wait for the full servicing later once the watch is well worn.

nice 3594.50 - is that the stock or president style bracelet?
The watch clearly is well worn and needs a service. It was probably cheap for a reason.

What's wrong with it and what needs repaired? You have no idea, a skilled watchmaker might have some hypotheses. We could throw around a few ideas, too. You're not going to find a watchmaker who will want to invest time chasing down these hypotheses and not perform a, in this case, due service. It'd be a waste of their time otherwise. Even if a silver bullet was found and the errant behavior was remedied, it would likely be the beginning of a cascade of failures. The only time repair over service makes sense is for a very recently, freshly serviced watch that has a problem in that certain steps do not need to be performed.

IMG_20230305_122355_1r.jpg

If you don't have some record of recent maintenance, then I would expect that all it needs is a full servicing. Which, as mentioned above, if you got a decent price will be infinitely more manageable than returning it and finding another that has been recently serviced.

Sending it to Omega is certainly an option, but there are a number of reputable watchmakers out there - some are Omega Forum members - who are fully Omega certified, with parts accounts, who can service this semi-vintage watch, and ensure it receives the treatment it deserves!

I am a big fan of the 3594.50 and mine says "hello!" =).

IMG_7743.jpg
What is that bracelet that you have on your 3594.50? Looks real nice

The 3594.50 is a great choice! Get it serviced and enjoy it!
and @jB1128 This might be the first speedmaster that's really talked to me. Some brief reading suggests the earlier versions had some corrosion issues with moisture getting into the case.
What else should I know, generally, about these before trying to track one down?

EDIT: Ok, so that's not totally true. I REALLY like the moonwatch. But I also really like those broad hands and steel bezel, and think the combination is a lot of fun.

Additional: Does anyone know what kind of strap this is? I came across it here while reading up on this ref.

359450-007-1024.jpg
Edited:

and @jB1128 This might be the first speedmaster that's really talked to me. Some brief reading suggests the earlier versions had some corrosion issues with moisture getting into the case.
What else should I know, generally, about these before trying to track one down?
It’s true that some of these experienced corrosion issues, specifically with the handset, but I wouldn’t worry too much about that if the dial and movement are in good shape and don’t show signs of moisture intrusion or damage.

The main reason being that I’d assume a full service is in order, and either Omega, or a watchmaker (with a parts account) can readily source replacement hands should there be a need, and to me, that would not negatively impact the authenticity or originality of the watch as a semi-vintage timepiece.

Good luck and happy hunting!

EDIT: Ok, so that's not totally true. I REALLY like the moonwatch. But I also really like those broad hands and steel bezel, and think the combination is a lot of fun.

Additional: Does anyone know what kind of strap this is? I came across it here while reading up on this ref.

359450-007-1024.jpg

Byu the later ones with the newer ( 2 buttons) buckle. I my experience they rarely have such issues.

Whoa, these straps look very cool, and very customizable. Do you have any experience with them?

They’re a fun strap style. SUPER comfortable, totally waterproof, tons of colors, and infinitely adjustable. Just like any other strap, they’re available at a lot of price points with very differing quality levels. Erika’s are very expensive for what is essentially some stretchy nylon and bits of steel, but she makes the absolute best version for sure.

359450-007-1024.jpg

Try out similiar

359450-007-1024.jpg
Check out straps from Watch Steward. Very similiar to Erika's, very well made.

Thanks, I appreciate it! Sounds like another good option.

Try out similiar

Check out straps from Watch Steward. Very similiar to Erika's, very well made.