Forums Latest Members

Is this legal from Bucherer?

1. To the moon Oct 20, 2019

So I've purchased a few watches from Bucherer and had pleasant experiences with them. However, we have had our name down for a Rolex LV for 14 months with the hope of getting the piece in time for our sons 21st birthday. I have had monthly conversations and updates regarding timings and reassurance that the assistant manager is doing all he can to meet the timeframe. Well it's within a month of our sons birthday so I contact the store and receive the news that there is a possibility that they can secure the piece for this week but now there is a catch... I have to purchase an additional piece of equal or greater value and of not of a desirable model, to which I was given a few choices ie, Bucherer blue editions or maybe the new Bremont? Well this has never once been mentioned before but as I've now apparently been bumped up the list this is what's required.... Surely this is blackmail?? Or at least under handed practice. My wife and I are devestated as you can imagine. I've written an email after visiting the store and actually being presented with LV and the choice of the additional pieces to which I declined and he couldn't of been quicker to put the Rolex back in the safe..... Any advice? Apart from, don't return to the store ::confused2::

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 20, 2019

Not the first time I've heard of this practice when wanting to purchase a desirable model. It sucks but they will have no problem moving your son's watch to someone-else's wrist.

3. Darkhorse Oct 20, 2019

That's a shame. However, I would guess that if there's no contract signed, a private store is technically allowed to engage in any pricing/purchasing scheme they want.

4. JwRosenthal Oct 20, 2019

Don’t go back and don’t encourage this behavior- it’s truly dispicable and thank you for your story- although I have never purchased from Bucherer, now I know I never will.

5. loniscup Oct 20, 2019

Wow!! What a great way to "keep" a loyal customer :(

Tony, lando, chronos and 1 other person like this.
  6. To the moon Oct 20, 2019

I don't understand the fact that we as customers are supposed to have morals and heaven forbid if we sell a piece for a profit...... But they can do whatever they like and treat us like S!?@.......

7. JwRosenthal Oct 20, 2019

As an aside- instead of buying him new, perhaps a birthyear watch. There were some spectacular models made in 1998 before they got bloated.

8. To the moon Oct 20, 2019

Appreciate that and agree. He just mentioned on a number of occasions how much he loved the dial colour and to be fair, there isn't many to match that. He is fortunate enough to have an additional piece of his choice from our collection to which will be closer to his heart and something to pass on to his future 1st born

larryganz likes this.
  9. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Oct 20, 2019

Let the Better Business Bureau know.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  10. JwRosenthal Oct 20, 2019

Frankly, a 16600 or 16610 would be a undeniable classic and a lifetime watch for him- for anyone really.

To the moon likes this.
  11. To the moon Oct 20, 2019

If I said that I have my 2003, 16600 on my wrist as we speak is that classed as telepathic? :)

Travelller, DaveK and JwRosenthal like this.
  12. stevec14 Oct 20, 2019

It’s happening all the time by all accounts. I’d tell them to get fu***d and buy him something different - a nice omega or 5 digit Rolex.

Worst comes to worst, pick up a DJ 41 as well and flog it for minimal loss. You will still be ahead of the game.

13. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Oct 20, 2019

In the UK it is legal - a seller can determine their own contract of sale. i.e. they don’t have to sell to you on your terms.

Not particularly pleasant but there you go. Your loyalty does not seem to be valued by them, why should you have any scruples in your dealings with them for the future?

Can you pay cash for the one you want, credit of some kind for the other watch and then return within a statutory credit cool off period?

Check their terms and conditions and good luck. Obviously local laws will apply.

Travelller and Muddlerminnow like this.
  14. To the moon Oct 20, 2019

I tried getting the wife a DJ but he actually said that there wasn't enough in the deal!!!! It did cross my mind to get a piece that I could flip but to be honest my head was in overload and I just couldn't believe what I was hearing. Also, I didn't want to lower myself to that level

larryganz, Travelller, Kmart and 6 others like this.
  15. To the moon Oct 20, 2019

Thank you. We looked into that before traveling and they only offer a 14 day exchange only

16. redzer007 Oct 20, 2019

Do they sell online? Ask them if you can do the transaction online and have shipped they are legally required to take the return. (Distance selling rules)

Long shot I know, but frankly I find this type of selling despicable

To the moon likes this.
  17. Stufflers Mom Oct 20, 2019

It's a tough world out there and it looks like some dealers won't play ball.
    Yesterday I tried and failed to get 13% off a Panerai 682, dealer wouldn't budge and I left without the watch and I'm now considering a PO Deep Black instead.

01.jpg

18. Dan S Oct 20, 2019

Actually I think this is more like extortion than blackmail. ;)

But not very nice either way. :thumbsdown:

19. JwRosenthal Oct 20, 2019

I know I’ve opined enough on this- but I worked in retail sales for 10 years all through college so I speak as a former salesman- I’m am horrified and sickened by all of these stories. I think a total lifetime boycott of retailers that conduct business like this is justified.

And- after you purchase another watch for your son, I would make it a point to go back in and speak to the manager and let them know they have lost a client for life and someone else got your money. May not make any difference, but I would enjoy that satisfaction.

Travelller, chronos, Kmart and 8 others like this.
  20. M'Bob Oct 20, 2019

Agreed. There are just too many great choices out there that would be perfectly acceptable and enjoyed, and one should never put up with this type of treatment when you're the customer. I would tell them to go fuck themselves, and mention that you will tell all of your high-roller friends about this, and they too will bring their business elsewhere.

Kmart, lando, sjg22 and 4 others like this.