Forums Latest Members
  1. viccie Oct 14, 2019

Hello,

Clearly a newbie to Omega vintage.
    Can someone advice if these are authentic?
    One is a Geneve 135.070 and the other is a Seamaster 166.010

Very grateful for your inputs (and knowledge sharing) please.

Million thanks in advance !!

Geneve 1a.jpg Geneve 1b.jpg Geneve 1d.jpeg Seasmaster 2.png Seasmaster 4.png Seasmaster 5.png Seasmaster 6.png
    Edited Oct 14, 2019
    Spruce likes this.
  2. Passover Oct 14, 2019

Hi Viccie, welcome here on Omegaforums!

As you might know already you picked two different watches: One is automatic, the other is hand wound.

So maybe you should think about what you prefer.

I think the Seamaster is in genuine conditon: Crown hands and dial are in very good condition. Movement looks clean, no rotor rubbing on the inner caseback.

Serial dates the watch to 1966 which should be correct. Case is a bit too polished for my taste.
    If I chose the right offer at Chrono24 1050€ for a normal Seamster is far too much.
    For this money you should get one with chronometer movement and a BOR braclet and still some money left.

Good hunting!

3. viccie Oct 14, 2019

Thank you for your input, Passover!
    Very much appreciated.

Yes, you are right... I was initially looking for the Geneve because I like the model although hand wound, and also because the Seamaster is over my budget. But then I found this new Seamaster....

Maybe a silly (and clearly a novice) question but the “automatic” Seamaster – does it mean I don’t need to wind it? Or does it refer to the auto date movement?

I agree that the case is too polished as well, but the dial and the hands look really good. Will the case lose its sparkle over time (1-2 years maybe)?

Watches on Chrono.se are generally way overpriced, I reckon. Do you have other channels/sources to recommend?

Thanks!

4. Passover Oct 14, 2019

Automatic means that you don't have to wind the watch. The watch creates the energy by the moving rotor.

Take some time, check the vintage omega section and learn about vintage watches.

Other places to look are ebay and the private watch sale section here on the forum.

DaveK likes this.
  5. viccie Oct 14, 2019

Thanks a lot!
    Will continue with my “education” :D

6. Claven2 Oct 17, 2019

FWIW, that hand wound geneve is a beauty, and the manual wind movement makes for a really thin watch that wears well.