Forums Latest Members
  1. Yehoshua Apr 25, 2021

Hi. I've read posts by Archer that servicing Co axial movements is tedious, involved and demands great precision in applying the lubricants as well as an extremely steady hand.

He goes on to say that if not properly serviced, you will not know in the short run because the oils are not for friction but rather for a cushioning effect and it will run fine on the timer.

My concern is, if all this is so-- how can I have peace of mind that things have been done correctly even at an Omega authorized facility? The results can still be deceivingly good. Are there long-term disappointments out there? Peace of mind is a wonderful thing...

Edited Apr 25, 2021
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 25, 2021

Co-axial or not, there will be disappointing service experiences. But the only thing you can do is ask whoever is doing the service for you questions, and try to build some level of trust.

Caliber561, itsalex, WatchCor and 2 others like this.
  3. Dan S Apr 25, 2021

And I would add, in the end it's only a watch. If it performs well, enjoy it. If some wear and tear occurs over the long haul, it can be repaired at the next service. Try not to let it keep you up at night.

itsalex, Duracuir1 and WatchCor like this.
  4. Yehoshua Apr 25, 2021

It's just that I could easily sell it right now and opt for a more easily serviced caliber. There are other watches I like. Indeed, if this is actually not an issue, perhaps I would go for even another model of an Omega. (I have the Seamaster professional 2500D).

5. Yehoshua Apr 25, 2021

I just assumed that, the said timer wouldn't identify the service as faulty, while with a Swiss lever movement--it would. And on the spot the servicing fault could be rectified. No?

Edited Apr 25, 2021
  6. Dan S Apr 25, 2021

I see. You are having buyer's remorse. Only you can decide if you would like to sell the watch, but you can't sell it on this forum until you have 200 posts.

7. Yehoshua Apr 25, 2021

No. I don't think I have that. If I do it's only because of the perhaps mistaken assumption that I can do better concerning maintenance and save heartaches. And like I said, I can start over now.

But if it's just a silly worry, I would be happy to keep it for life God willing.

8. hronists Apr 25, 2021

no.

9. PhilF Apr 25, 2021

I received a new Speedmaster Sapphire 3861, which is, incidentally Coaxial, for my 50th anniversary. I also have 38mm Speedmaster automatic which is also Coaxial. Both run +1.5 seconds a day. I seriously doubt Omega would take an absolutely iconic watch like the Speedmaster and use a problematic movement that will be a service headache for them down the road considering that they will undoubtedly sell thousands of them. It is also, along with the Seamaster their standard-bearer. They literally wouldn't risk putting their name on something unproven that is so well known. The simple fact is most, if not all of their higher end watches are now Master Chronometer Certified Coaxials and the METAS tests are pretty stringent. As long as the servicing is done at Omega or by Omega-certified watchmaker, I would have no worries. Like all things mechanical, things can go wrong, and chances are, can be put right. I have faith in Omega, confidence that their service is competent and they will set things right if mistakes are made.......I also won't buy or drive a car that doesn't have a spare tire.

Yehoshua likes this.
  10. Yehoshua Apr 25, 2021

Makes total sense. Thanks.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 25, 2021

Not saying you are wrong, but the 3861 has already had problems (not related to the escapement), as have many other Omega movements. As I said, a smooth service experience is never guaranteed, no matter if the watch has a co-axial escapement or not. In others words, not getting a co-axial is no guarantee either...

PhilF likes this.
  12. Rado63 Apr 25, 2021

I have read that it does require some care to remove the balance of the co axial escapement. Same to re install. But any watchmaker who has sufficient training will be able to provide this service. As @Archer noted you do need a level of trust with your watchmaker. To service any movement you need to have the knowledge, equipment and experience to do so correctly. If you are concerned that an Omega approved Service center will not provide adequate service, well if we can't trust them who can we trust? I don't think that being an approved Omega service provider is taken lightly by those who have worked to achieve this distinction. It takes an investment in time, training and equipment to keep the certification. An authorized independent may provide superior service, especially if it is one watchmaker completing all of the tasks. As @Archer said, build a level of trust.

PhilF likes this.
  13. Yehoshua Apr 25, 2021

I was just trying to clearify what I've read in other posts: they're very difficult to lubricate properly. And even when sloppily done, it'll still perform well. For a time. Paraphrasing Archer.
    And that as opposed to the Swiss lever movement, that don't as easily disguise faulty servicing.
    By the way, I don't understand why all the watch brands guarantee their servicing for a mere two years. I mean, a proper well done service will supposedly bring the watch to the standard when first purchased. If so, then why not express that confidence in a 5 year after service warranty. THAT would have every purchaser doing servicing at recommended intervals, employ more watch makers and it'd be a win win thing. I mean, if the watch is as good as new-- the company wouldn't be losing anything renewing the original warranty.

14. PandaSPUR Apr 25, 2021

I feel like this is one of the things you get paranoid about before/after buying your first <insert shiny object here>. Kinda like little scratches and whatnot. After a while you just learn to enjoy it and not worry so much.

Not a valid concern IMO. If you keep going down this line of thought, you might as well just end up with a quartz watch since those are probably the easiest to service :D

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  15. Duckie Apr 26, 2021

Agreed.
    There's a lot to be said for a truly great quartz watch:thumbsup:
    Alternately, a great/simple mechanical watch adds a level of interest if one is so inclined. Especially if it's easy to service with easy access to a good watchmaker for servicing and repairs;)

That's why I am drawing the line at one Co-axial watch to test the waters. So far it's been an uneventful but engaging journey in my locality with good advice from Al:thumbsup:

16. Duckie Apr 26, 2021

On the face of it, I would whole heartily subscribe to this point of view:thumbsup:
    But a two year warranty is pushing boundaries on some levels. Anything longer is risky for a service centre. With one year for an independent being fair enough as well:thumbsup:

Any longer and it would leave the repairer too exposed:thumbsdown:

17. rootbeer7 Apr 26, 2021

My watchmaker said they are a real pain and more difficult to work on, but not impossible.

18. JwRosenthal Apr 26, 2021

I think this is like the false assumption that Japanese cars are more reliable than German cars. I had a Subaru that was a total piece of shit- spent more time at the dealership than on the road. I have a ‘93 BMW M5 that has cost me close to nothing to maintain.
    Don’t think about it too much, just enjoy it.

And note I didn’t mention British cars. :whistling:

josiahg52 likes this.
  19. josiahg52 Apr 26, 2021

The E34 is such a great car. Last handbuilt M5. I have a fantastic E39 from 2001.

I do a lot of the work on my M5 but I have had to take it to a shop a few times. Last time was eight years ago when it needed major engine work. Did my research and found a shop on the other side of the country. The car and I were out there for work. No doubt any repair shop could get me just down the road and back to the place I was staying out there. I had to trust that the repair would get me through the preceding months I'd be out there and then home. Probably 8000 miles in the span of a few months. Fortunately, it did and continues to run well after another 6000 in the years since. I wouldn't keep the M5 unless I could enjoy driving it without being scared or wondering if I was doing irreversible and unseen damage to it every time it left my garage.

I don't have a coaxial movement from Omega but I feel the same about any of my watches and their movements as I do the Beast. Either find a watchmaker you trust, stop caring, or just move on from the watch. I implicitly trust Archer with my watches and have sent all my Omegas to him without reservation. All continue to run great but I guess who knows what's going on inside them.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  20. JwRosenthal Apr 26, 2021

I’ve made the comparison with watches and cars many times- people sweat wearing a $20k watch, getting a scratch, what damage could be done- but will drive a $60k+ car on roads with morons and park it in a mega-store parking lot with shopping carts rolling around.
    Do your worst to any Omega and it will still cost less to repair than a brake job on a Jag.

ctpete and josiahg52 like this.