Is there something wrong with this Connie or has the market gone down that much?

This nice looking (to me) with BOR bracelet just sold for for $750. I know the dome dial is less desirable than a pie pan, but the condition looks pretty good. I would have thought this would have gone for closer to $1000. What do you all think? Am I missing something, I don't think it is a redail.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2955241503...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
The close up of the top of the dial but not the bottom probably didn't help. Might give the impression there is something seller wants to hide.

The close up of the top of the dial but not the bottom probably didn't help. Might give the impression there is something seller wants to hide.
You mean like this?

B83383A1-8407-4E7D-90F1-C0DA34A92713.jpeg

The closeup of the ding in the bezel didn't help.

hf.jpg

Yep, a very honest seller, it appears, and quite the deal. Despite this being a done dial, in good shape and with the BoR, someone got a great deal indeed.
Edited:

And with an Omega bracelet as well. Seems like a good value. Looks like It even has its original yellow gasket in back.

SWIG9 MADE was used on watches manufactured on Friday afternoons JW.
Which would explain the dark thumb print above it- makes sense.

You mean like this?

Yep, I think you nailed it. Not a full redail, but someone tried to fix up a damaged spot with less than stellar results. Good eye!

Dome dials have always sold at a significant discount to pie pans. I sold a lovely example a couple of years ago with original crown, BoR and outer box for £800

I think the market in general is just trimming the peaks seen since the pandemic.

70223E04-DBB1-4D46-BFEE-B4ADA1223883.jpeg

Dome dials have always sold at a significant discount to pie pans. I sold a lovely example a couple of years ago with original crown, BoR and outer box for £800

I think the market in general is just trimming the peaks seen since the pandemic.

70223E04-DBB1-4D46-BFEE-B4ADA1223883.jpeg

Not sure, which peaks you saw....The trimming happening now, is more than any peaks I saw in the last 5 plus years.

You think prices are falling to where they were 5 years ago? I’m not quite seeing that in the UK, but the pandemic was 3 years ago so we’re talking broadly similar timelines.

The UK after Brexit is a complete different kettle of Fish.... The taxation situation for outside purchases let's every UK buyer trying to buy in the UK. Will change over time hopefully.

Agree. I’m in the UK and since Brexit it has its own market, with different drivers to the rest of the world. My experiences in the UK might not be reflective of the ROW.

I think we are seeing what we all forecasted 2 years ago when things were out of control- the premium examples will level off and stay where they are (maybe a slight dip) and the mediocre and poor examples will plummet back to realty. As someone who likes to buy and doesn’t often sell- I hope this is just the beginning of the correction.

I think we are seeing what we all forecasted 2 years ago when things were out of control- the premium examples will level off and stay where they are (maybe a slight dip) and the mediocre and poor examples will plummet back to realty. As someone who likes to buy and doesn’t often sell- I hope this is just the beginning of the correction.

At the end of the day it’s supply and demand. On the demand side there is a slow increase in those interested in vintage watches perhaps driven by the interest in modern mechanical watches and the overall economy. Social media has helped here as well. On the supply side the availability of premium examples is decreasing as like many here, yourself and myself included, the focus is on buying rather than selling. The mediocre examples will always be out there - many of them listed for unrealistic prices without buyers for months if not years on end.
Edited:

At the end of the day it’s supply and demand. On the demand side there is a slow increase in those interested in vintage watches perhaps driven by the interest in modern mechanical watches and the overall economy. Social media has helped here as well. On the supply side the availability of premium examples is decreasing as like many here, yourself and myself included, the focus is on buying rather than selling. The mediocre examples will always be out there - many of them listed for unrealistic prices without buyers for months if not years on end.
I think for many collectors (myself included), a major correction would be welcome. I don’t think we will ever go back to $4k submariners and $2k Speedmasters- but a 30% drop on the market would be awesome.
I only ever want to break even when I sell watches- I think the only people who bemoan prices coming down are dealers holding on to inventory purchased at the peak, or those looking to cash out their collections.